Advanced Search

Benchmade Mini Griptilian opinions (s30v)

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Benchmade Benchmade Mini Griptilian opinions (s30v)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I have the opportunity to trad out some sharpening for a mini-grip in s30v… I am curious how well benchmade’s s30v holds an edge (I know there are a thousand threads out there on this but I want WE user opinions as I trust you guys more). I have to say that my Spyderco Manix XL has been a little disappointing… I carry my Benchmade Bone collector (D2) more because it just seems to hold a much better edge than Spyderco’s S30V. Thoughts?

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I love all my mini’s. I would generalize Benchmade steel this way: 154 cm, S30V and D2 are are roughly the same level of performance. CPM-M4 and M390 are on the same level and a step above S30V. If you like the D2 I think you well be happy with the S30V. If you are comparing it to a super steel like M4 or M390 it isn’t in the same league. My personal experience is S30V does a little better for me than 154 cm on Benchmade knives. I does “feel” harder to sharpen than 154 cm or M4, but with a Wicked Edge who cares. Set the angle and start cranking on the diamonds. It takes a nice edge and I have mirror polishes with Choseras.

I sharpened a 940 in S30V to 15 degrees per side and had some chipping in the belly. The bevels were more acute at the belly/tip so the region of chipping could be 12 to 14 degrees.

I have a Ritter mini in S30V and took it to 17.5 per side and love it. The Ritter is a higher, flatter grind than the standard mini, but the overall thickness of at the spine is the same. I would suggest not going more acute that 17.5 on this knife. The factory edges seem to be around 20.

Full disclaimer: I don’t have S30V in any other brands other than Benchmade. I don’t own a Mini Grip Modified Drop Point in S30V but I do have Ritter Mini (pretty close blade geometry and the same steel).

How many knives do you have to sharpen for the trade?

For the price point I can’t image a better knife than the mini grip with a 2.9/3.0″ blade. There are $200+ knives that are better and $30 ones that may be a better value. At a price point around $120 if our accept $120 in cash for your sharpening services I would absolutely take this.

Josh
    Participant

Thanks for your input Geo! I will probably keep it at 17*/side per your recommendations… I like my edges toothy, which I’m not sure s30v will do as good as d2 (I believe it has a much finer grain structure) but still, I think it will be a decent knife!

Well my customer bought it brand new for $145 w/ white scales that I’m going to switch out on his limited run M4 ritter mini grip for him… I would then keep the one he just bought (which now would have black scales w/ a black blade, like pictured). I will hopefully be up and running Cerakoting soon, so I would probably cerakote it in a diff color (not sure what yet), but that remains to be forseen. He sends me knives on a regular basis (2-4/month) and I sharpen for $10 ea on the WEPS… thinking of selling my manix tho. So I don’t know if I should even bother =)

Brian
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

following the sharpie and using angle cube, my 154 cm mini grip seems to have a factory bevel of 19 deg. i dont know about benchmade s30v, but my spyderco s30v ppt has been a little disappointing in terms of edge retention. in my experience, my 154cm mini grip held an edge better, but just marginally. maybe it was just that angle was more obtuse. neither holds a candle to my super blue delica!

just sharpened mini grip for first time using wicked edge, but the plastic edges of the stones knock against the scales and im not able to get the last 1-2 mm of the heel of the blade. any suggestions so that i dont have to disassemble it?

razoredgeknives, i think i saw a video of yours using stones with the paddle sides shaved off which you said works well for spydercos. any regrets or reasons why i shouldnt do this? also by doing this, were u able to get your spydercos all the way to where the secondary bevel grind starts?

Josh
    Participant

following the sharpie and using angle cube, my 154 cm mini grip seems to have a factory bevel of 19 deg. i dont know about benchmade s30v, but my spyderco s30v ppt has been a little disappointing in terms of edge retention. in my experience, my 154cm mini grip held an edge better, but just marginally. maybe it was just that angle was more obtuse. neither holds a candle to my super blue delica!

just sharpened mini grip for first time using wicked edge, but the plastic edges of the stones knock against the scales and im not able to get the last 1-2 mm of the heel of the blade. any suggestions so that i dont have to disassemble it?

razoredgeknives, i think i saw a video of yours using stones with the paddle sides shaved off which you said works well for spydercos. any regrets or reasons why i shouldnt do this? also by doing this, were u able to get your spydercos all the way to where the secondary bevel grind starts?

No regrets whatsoever, I highly suggest it! Yeah, it let’s you get pretty much all the way up to the finger choil 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.