Advanced Search

Benchmade 586 Mini Barrage Factory Angle?

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Benchmade Benchmade 586 Mini Barrage Factory Angle?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Anyone have a link to the factory angle on this?
    I’m looking, and most posts say Benchmade is 60 degrees, or 30 inclusive, but I’d like to give this the WEPS treatment at factory the first time before i get too crazy…

Also, we used to have a forum page on knife stats, is it gone or buried, I can’t find it…

David Hill
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 38

30 inclusive would be 15 degrees per side. 60 sounds a bit obtuse to be useful for a folder. For a small edc with good steel your usually always safe with 20 degrees or also known as 40 degrees inclusive. If the steel can handle it you can go down from there.

Davidghemail

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Also, we used to have a forum page on knife stats, is it gone or buried, I can’t find it…

You can check in the Knife Database

You can also use the Sharpie trick to see how it’s been ground from the factory: Finding Your Angle

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant

I plan to play the sharpie game if I can’t get a baseline angle.
    Just looking for guidance.
    And if I don’t find any, I will post my findings and best guess in the knife database.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Looks like the sharpie method on my emissary showed a 21.75 dps angle from factory on s30v. I think that I had a tough time with this knife and will try the destressing method that was talked about.

The benchmade pocket sharpeners do state a 30 dps angle. Wow.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/983902X

Fred Hermann
    Participant

So the knife database has it at 17 degrees on the 581, which is just a bigger version of the same knife. So at least I have a place to start.
    Thanks All!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I plan to play the sharpie game if I can’t get a baseline angle.
    Just looking for guidance.
    And if I don’t find any, I will post my findings and best guess in the knife database.

My .02… marking the edge with a Sharpie, seeing where the knife actually is, and also seeing if there are any problem areas, is a better place to start. In most case, doing this will result in a “better than factory” edge, it doesn’t take a lot of work, minimal metal removal (you can start with finer stones) and from this point you can see how the blade performs, then adjust to your liking.

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Update:
    Measured mine, it was about 15.5 degrees a side, so 31 total.
    I gave it the treatment at 18 degrees/side, we’ll see how it holds up.
    Observation: the M390 steel felt softer than my D2 Leek under the diamonds.

Question:
    Are the logos on the blades done by etching? I am considering breaking this down and polishing it, as I dislike the factory finish.

Any thoughts?

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Aftermath report:

I’ve had the knife a while now, bled on it (LOTS) and have completely disassembled/reassembled it a number of times. (careful, they sue loctite)

The M390 steel seems to hold a nice durable edge, can be polished up to a very fine mirror, and hair whittling edge. It seems to me that it loses the really fine edge quickly (on cardboard) but stays shaving sharp for weeks of rough use. An idiot coworker was using it to cut down boxes in the office, and I heard a terrible *dink* noise…he’d cut thru an industrial staple…cleanly. And no burr in the edge.

So I’m pleased with the steel and the knife over all. I’m still fooling with deburring some of the rough edges on the finger post on the blade etc, because they are a bit sharp out of the box.

On a 10 scale, I’ll give it an 8.5

-1 for delivered sharp unfinished edges, and -.5 cost, its a bit more expensive that it needs to be for fit and finish.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Fred, Thanks for such an honest review! I sharpened a friends Mini Barrage, I thought it was a nice well done knife. Maybe a little pricey? But you know that going in with Benchmade. I have the mini grip. I like it alot, but it does not seem to stay in my edc rotation? And I honestly don’t know why? like I said I like it, maybe just a little to small?
    For production knives I think they make a good product. They stand behind their product too. I bought a fake recently and they offered me 30% off any of their knives if I would tun it in. That’s pretty good, right?

Fred Hermann
    Participant

*chuckles*
    Eamon, if you can get a real Benchmade at a discount, I say go for it.

This one will stay in my EDC rotation, but something about it is off. maybe its the shorter handle but bulkier handle…perhaps the full size one would be a better buy.

I really like the knife, the steel is good, and the assist is fun to play with, though a bit hard to get used to. It’s a bit too aggressive opening.

Now if they ever make a Leek with better steel…I might be all over that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.