Advanced Search

Base Rod Design

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

This may seem dumb but after a few knives the dimples on the base rod make me wonder. I’m primarily using the PP1 setup, still waiting for the PP2 one. So with the angle gauge it almost seems I need to adjust the rod sliders in between dimples to get even angles on both sides. This leads me to believe Im either doing something wrong or maybe the dimples need sanded to a smooth groove.
    I know they help when not using the angle gauge but they seem limiting with it.
    Sorry for babbling, I’m just tossing out a thought to see how you deal with this.
    Thanks in advance!

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

This may seem dumb but after a few knives the dimples on the base rod make me wonder. I’m primarily using the PP1 setup, still waiting for the PP2 one. So with the angle gauge it almost seems I need to adjust the rod sliders in between dimples to get even angles on both sides.

It seems the dimples will can never be precise on the “right hand side” as the thickness of the knives you will be using is variable.
    The left side is fixed, the right side moves.
    The only way to have the right side dimples accurate is to have the crossbar move with the clamp. (I have some design thoughts about this)

Many people rotate the bar so you have a flat surface for the screws to bind against.
    Replace the screws so they have a flat face, or flatten your original screws.
    Then use the angle guage, ignore the degree marks and dimples.

edit – Big trouble in little China fan, hey?

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Thanks, I fiddled with the setup and I probably will continue, just like all of us. I think we’re all modders at heart.

And yes, ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ is one of my guilty pleasure movies….

🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.