Advanced Search

Bark River Essential EDC

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Bark River Essential EDC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

The second release is out!

For those who haven’t followed this, it’s a sub 3″ fixed blade in CPM-M4 (my favorite steel for taking a screaming sharp edge) at HrC 63-64!

Prices run $200-$300 depending on handle material (the dessert ironwood burl is STUNNING!)

The first run of this knife went pretty quickly. I’d expect this one to as well.

I’ve been wanting this knife since I first saw it.

For anyone who likes a small fixed blade, go check these out!

Ken

Matt simmerman
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

:ohmy: wow that is some serious hardness. wondering how brittle the blade is? :unsure:

I am looking for the right knife to buy next lol. :cheer:

I have been bitten by the knife/knife sharpening bug and it seems contious!!!! :sick:

thanks for the post

Peace

Mat

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I have other M4 blades in this range. They are pretty tough. Not 3V tough but not fragile in any way. OTOH, edge retention is terrific!

Ken

John Batinovich
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 27

Most Bark Rivers sport a convex grind; the four I own do. I didn’t think the WEPS was the best platform for sharpening this type of grind. I’d love to hear if anyone here does use it for these knives.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

You can convex more than one way on your WE I do not yet have mine but I did it on an EdgePro on Globals I started off at 10Ëš and took it to the edge then I put a 15Ëš cutting bevel on it then went back in degree increments to 11Ëš then stropped out the transitions . I imagine the Bark River is probable between 18-21Ëšso thin at 5Ëš less if the edge is not far gone the don’t go far with the thinning bevel then set the edge bevel and then work back in increments of 1Ëš.
    Or if this sounds like too much work simple strop having knocked back a degree or so .
    Clay has a video somewhere on convex bevels.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

There’s quite a lot of info on convex bevels. Clay did a video on it, and iirc there’s even more than one. I also did a couple of blog posts on it, including various ways to create convex edges using the WEPS: http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/category/convex-edge/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I have not sharpened a Bark River? However about a month ago a customer asked can you put a convex grind on this knife? And of coarse my mouth popped out sure!
    After watching Clay’s video and following these instructions from the downloads

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/files/Creating%20a%20Convex%20Edge.pdf

I found it easy to do with outstanding results!! Yea Clay! Now having done a few of them it has occurred to me (I catch on slow) I can make the convex turn out shorter and wider or taller and leaner? The WEPS will do whatever I need!
    Man do I love my WEPs!!

Leo Barr
    Participant

Yes as I put after watching Clays vids on convexing I did it on an Edge Pro (still don’t have my WE waiting the drill stop collars SWATS) on some Globals you do need an angle cube for either the Edge pro or the WE since the increments need to be quite fine and I am not sure the accuracy is good enough without one if you use 1Ëš increments .

Leo Barr
    Participant

Mark76 your knife picture on you avatar did you further thin this blade ?I have something similar an Honyaki Usaba it is double bevelled and was a steal but I think it could do with some further thinning. It would seem the higher you go up the knife tree the more it is expected that you put your own bevels on that suit the way one intends to use the knife.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Mark76 your knife picture on you avatar did you further thin this blade ?I have something similar an Honyaki Usaba it is double bevelled and was a steal but I think it could do with some further thinning. It would seem the higher you go up the knife tree the more it is expected that you put your own bevels on that suit the way one intends to use the knife.

Yes, I made it as thin as I could. I don’t recall the exact angle, but iirc it was less than 10 degrees. That’s the advantage of tall knives 🙂 . I then put on a 13 degree bevel.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.