Advanced Search

AUS-8

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat AUS-8

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Hello folks,

I have been reading up on AUS-8 steel on the forum and the web. I just received a knife in this steel and do not have any experience with the steel. In any event my research indicates that the steel will take a keen edge but will not hold the edge long. If this is the case, can someone share with me the technical reason the steel will not hold an edge very long. Clearly how long any knife steel will hold an edge is dependent on use, but is there something in the properties of the steel that causes it to lose its edge faster than S30V or CPM154 for example.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mark Massie

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Here is a chart http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelchart.php that is one of several
    mentioned on the WEPS site in this thread
    http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=22&id=5765&Itemid=271

Hope that helps

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

AUS6 and AUS8 were popular 25 years ago. The state of the art has progressed.

Nothing specifically wrong with it. It takes a nice edge, but it’s not K294 😉

Ken

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Ken is correct. AUS8 has less carbon and molybdenum and vanadium than newer steels. These contribute to wear resistance. What was good about AUS8 at the time is it is high carbon (relatively speaking) but also stainless. Back then it was good to have a stainless knife with the properties of a high carbon steel. Like Ken said, technology has advanced.

You can improve wear resistance by going more obtuse. I.e. go for 20 degrees per side vs. 15.

Steel is relative to cost also. In my opinion, a $30 knife in AUS8 is great. I would never pay $100 for AUS8 though.

Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Thanks for the information gentlemen!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.