Advanced Search

Anyone had issues with ceramic stones coming off?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones Anyone had issues with ceramic stones coming off?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Lippa
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

After a second use of the Micro Fine stones, the Course side of one of them came off of the hand-plate during an upward stroke. I have tried placing the stone back onto the adhesive tape that held it into place, but it simply won’t hold anymore.

Has anyone else run into this problem with the ceramic (or any stones) before?

Would this constitute a defect in the product?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Andrew…

There was a thread on this not too long ago, with a bit of info…

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=28&id=7511&Itemid=63

The short answer… Email kyle@wickededgeusa.com about it, and he’ll send you some replacement tape.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We just got some new samples in from 3M that we’ll test this week to see if they hold the stones better, especially after they get wet.

-Clay

Matthieu Methot
    Participant
    • Replies: 9

My 1000 grit stone came off, but I was able to stick it back on. I would be interested in what clay comes up with.

Andrew Lippa
    Participant

There was some interesting research on how gecko feet stick to non-porous surfaces and they found, based on microscopy and biochemical tests, that they hold on because gecko feet are covered with nano-hairs that hold (for people who are interested, by Van der waals forces http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=sticky-situation-gecko-toe-adhesive) and scientists were able to reproduce the structure to make self-cleaning tapes.

Unfortunately, these gecko-tech-based don’t hold onto wet surfaces. So they then figured out how mussels are able to cling to the sides of even wet surfaces and combined the mussel glue (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/10/071018-mussels-stick.html) with gecko-tape and developed a tape that holds onto anything, even when wet.

Clay, got any of that stuff? 😉

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I have some Gorilla Glue holding my ceramic on. We’ll see how it works since it’s not supposed to bond well to the type of plastic used in the platens (polypropylene).

Andrew Lippa
    Participant

We just got some new samples in from 3M that we’ll test this week to see if they hold the stones better, especially after they get wet.

I just received some replacement tape in the mail today. I remember that you mentioned each side of the tape is designed to hold one of either the ceramic or the plastic. Is there a way to tell which is which? The is one side facing the sheet that several strips are adhered to and the one facing you when viewing the strips.

Thanks!
    Andrew

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I just received some replacement tape in the mail today. I remember that you mentioned each side of the tape is designed to hold one of either the ceramic or the plastic. Is there a way to tell which is which? The is one side facing the sheet that several strips are adhered to and the one facing you when viewing the strips.

Thanks!
    Andrew[/quote]

Hey Andrew, I’m glad it came in. Stick the tape to the stone, then peel the paper off and stick to the handle. Please let me know if you have any other issues.

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

if this is the 3m tape that ships with blank paddles, the stones won’t like it. Mine don’t anyways….
    Also, Kyle is awesome! I emailed for some tape and he got it to me incredibly fast.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Gorilla glue is still holding my 1.4 ceramic.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

OK, a quick report on the 3M tape.
    I cleaned my ceramic stones, made sure ty were super dry, and tried the new 3m tape.
    Initially it stuck to the stone, then I pressed the stone onto the paddle. Same procedude both sides, both stones. They fell off within 30 min.
    So…I said to myself, what am I doing wrong?
    I put the stones back in the paddles, sat them on the counter, and weighted them down with my WEPS. (I have the granite base) I left them over night, nad *poof* they hold.

So far going on a week with the paddles on their sides, 2 knives sharpened, and hte stones stick firm.

I think pressure when applying the new tape is a possible fix.

Just my .02

Oh…and no water near them yet…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.