Advanced Search

Another Newbie to the Wicked Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Another Newbie to the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Walter Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Hi everyone. My name is Walter Coates and I run a small gunsmith shop in Virginia. I just ordered the Pro Pack 2 and a couple of accessories so I can add knife sharpening services to my shop. I have always loved knives and figured this to be a natural progression. I know it’s going to take practice and a lot of studying to get everything down but I’m really excited about using this system and seeing what it will do.

On a side note, I called in my order to Kyle and my order was shipped out within two hours! That is outstanding and goes to show how hard these people work to satisfy their customers.

I welcome any advice any veteran users have for me concerning the use of this system in a business setting.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Hello Walter

I think the general advise is firstly the stones need a little braking in and then try to sharpen a variety of knives I guess in your setting most will be hunting knives which will fairly obtuse angles say around 23˚ per side but at the same time not too thick a profile behind it .
    Bark River knives although I have not seen one come with a convex edge which suites bushcraft.In addition to reading as many posts on this site as possible I would recommend this site http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml in addition your really can not learn enough.
    I would possible try to do all your own knives including domestic ones and try to do your friends knives for honest feedback and perhaps do not charge them.
    I would try to get as much variety as possible perhaps post pictures of your progress here and do ask questions which will arise as you progress. There is so much good knowledge of sharpening on the internet try to look at it all even if it is using either different tools , machines or freehand you really can spend a lot of nights researching plus its more rewarding than TV.
    I would imagine that you probable will be confident to charge for your sharpening after doing something like 50 knives (although I would delay doing fussy or awkward knives at first) and if you are not sure how to do something ask there is always going to be more to learn .
    So welcome to the rabbit hole.

Leo Nav

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome and after asking lots of questions remember to always have fun!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Walter, welcome to the forum! I think you made an excellent choice! If it’s about precision sharpening and repeatability, I think nothing comes close to the WEPS’ abilities.

I primarily use my WEPS as a hobby, sharpening my own knives and those of friends and relatives. Mainly outdoor knives, EDC’s and kitchen knives. But I sharpen for a restaurant as well. Not so much as a business, but simply because I like it.

Enjoy your WEPS and please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Welcome aboard, wrcoates!

You will quickly become the knife sharpening center once you get comfortable with the WEPS!

1. Just some basic tips from me – sometimes the knives you get might need a little “help” before hitting the WEPS – the 50/80 diamonds will be necessary sometimes, and if things are worse, you may want to consider a small belt sander to get the rougher work done before cleaning everything up on the WEPS.

2. As much as we need and benefit from taking everything to absurd levels of refinement, it is often lost on “normal” customers. 😉 Taking things to the 800-1000 diamonds, or the 1200/1600 ceramics, or the 1K-2K Choseras is usually sharper than anything most people have ever held before. When a customer comes back and asks for more refinement, then you take out the finer stuff (and not all at once, either!) You need to educate your customers.

3. Geometry is key – I recommend finding 2-3 “optimal” edge angles to fit across the board for the range of knives – such as an ideal angles (one for “shaving” and one for holding up to heavier use) for pocket knives, tactical and hunting. This way you minimize the confusion for you over time as your customer base increases.

Please let us know how things progress!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

All the advice above is excellent, but especially point 3 above by Ton.Those settings will become your benchmarks and they will serve most cutting and slicing purposes. Also by narrowing the number of settings, you will get to know the WEPS better and develop your senses in a more straight forward way…again in a very Zen way, you will become one with the knife and your tools so you can crank out the very sharpest edges.
    I also welcome you Walter! We have a great bunch here and there isn’t much about sharpening they don’t know.

Cheers
    Leo

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

I couldn’t agree with Tom more! He makes some excellent points! I ended up getting a belt sander for the ones that showed up much more like a 2″ x 4″.
    Bob Nash just sent me the Ken Onion edition Work Sharp to sample. If space is a consideration then I would take a hard look at it.
    When I went to Shot Show this year Benchmade was using them in their tech both. I asked the guy what he thought about them and he said they were great! Really it will do everything my 42″ will do? Just putting it out there? 😉

Walter Coates
    Participant

Thank you all very much for the friendly welcome and the information. I am in the process of setting up a dedicated section in my shop just for working on knives. I have mentioned the idea to a few friends and family so far and have gotten mainly positive remarks. I intend to further my knowledge of blade geometry and sharpening skills on a continuous basis by reading everything I can find on the subject. The people here will be a crucial part of that knowledge base. Thank you again for your help!

Walter Coates
    Participant

I’ve had a few days now to try out the system. I can tell you I am very impressed with it and the people I have been sharpening for are blown away by the results. I’m only going up to the first set of ceramics that came in the Pro Pack II kit and people are telling me that they have never had an edge on their knives this sharp. I haven’t even used the strops yet!

I have been re profiling edges and taking serrations off of blades and in some cases, reshaping the edge entirely. I have turned tanto blades into spear points and knives once relegated to a drawer into EDC knives.

I can’t wait to learn more about knife geometry and how to apply this wonderful system to all kinds of blades.

I can honestly say that this system will pay for itself in short order and that I have never found a better setup that allows an average person can get above average results!!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I know what you mean! I have experimented on our kitchen knives over the years on all sorts of sharpening systems… Worn them down pretty bad. That’s one of the beautiful things on the weps… You only remove around .001″ (if that) from the edge if you are careful! In clays most recent experiment he sent it off to a professional sharpener and they removed around .005″ in one sharpening using power equipment!

Josh

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

That’s great news! Now you need to start posting some pictures of your work!

….And don’t forget to get a picture of your first bite from a knife – it’s inevitable, you know 👿

Keep it up!

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Wicked Edges are becoming popular in Virginia – u will love it

be careful and get some Kevlar gloves…..

see ya – <(

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Tuffy those gloves have saved my fingers on more than one occasion it is usually the point of the blade that seem to like my thumbs .

Walter Coates
    Participant

Just wanted to chime in and say I finally got bit today. Sorry, no pictures, I was making a mess at the time.

I was sharpening a rather long curved blade on a knife that I can not identify. I got carried away and pulled my hand back too quick without circling around the knife first. Long story short, the point of the knife went right into the back of my thumb. It made a sizable slice but I’ll be fine.

I think the worst part of it was as I was holding my bleeding appendage, I was looking at a brand new pair of Kevlar gloves just lying there on the bench, mocking me it seemed.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

After turning 40 I went to my first Optometrist he said and I say to you “Welcome, We have been waiting for you!” Haha Now your part of the WE team! It is just a matter of time? Sooner or latter?
    I just did a small one again the other day, Not paying real close attention? wiping down the blade and cut right through the rag and bite my thumb. I yelled Sh** and then started laughing at myself for being so complacent. Totally my fault I know better! It will keep me in line for a while… :ohmy:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.