Advanced Search

Another Newbie question

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Another Newbie question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AK Jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 15

Yoda’s
    What does it mean when your stones ar squeking on one side? typically my left.

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

Squeaking is usually caused by two [or more] surfaces moving across each other so that they alternately stick and then move. A great example is a violin string being rubbed by the horsehair of the bow.
    The WE squeak you are experiencing could be coming from the stones rubbing on the blade. If this is the case, the difference you notice from side to side is probably due to the blade supported in a slightly different manner or angle such that the knife blade resonates differently on each side. For diamond stones and even the ceramics, I like Clay’s method of wetting the stones; I use a sponge with a little dish detergent. The water with the detergent should provide both lubrication and will keep abrasive debris from flying everywhere.
    Another possibility is that one of the rods is sticking a little in the paddle hole or the pivot point is a little sticky. If a light film of oil cures the squeak, you have found the problem. You may want to use something like dry slide that won’t collect abrasive dust and wear out the rods prematurely. A slightly bent rod may be the culprit.
    Another test to find the cause is to swap the paddles from side to side and from top to bottom and see what helps. Swapping the paddles around also helps them to wear more evenly.
    –Gregg

AK Jim
    Participant

It’s coming from the stone and blade. Usually near the tip?

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

It sounds like the blade is resonating to the friction of the stone. Did you try the water with detergent trick yet? Does it change when you change from swiping from the tip toward the vise v.s. swiping from the vise toward the tip?

AK Jim
    Participant

I’ll try the water/swop trick
    Thanks

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

What’s the steel?… Sometimes stainless cladding or steels with a high amount of chromium squeak as swarf builds up. Lubricants to wick away the metal that’s being braided away by the diamond stone should help.

Also, I’d say brand new out of the box WE stones probably wouldn’t squeak until after they’ve been considerably worn in. The tools, regardless of what the are, need to be sharp.

That’s what comes to mind. I’m no expert in sharpening or metallurgy.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Mine did that sometime in the beginning. Wierd..But that was when I was learning how to clamp properly, and get the angles right and learning the proper technique. I am right handed. My Left would squeak also on some knifes. I have not had it happen for a long time now.

Soo..I bet it is a combination of a couple things…

I agree, swap the stones in yer hands and see what happens..

Are your stones broken in yet or fairly new?

Slow way down and concentrate HARD on how much pressure and what kind of form you are using on both hands. rocking the stone differently or keeping it flat..it is wild.

I am really glad you posted this. Because it happened to me but is now does not happen…Did my form get better? Or was it just breaking in the stones? Or am I better at mounting the blades? Now I have some stuff to think on tonight!

WELCOME!! :silly:

AK Jim
    Participant

AUS8, on the last one. It seems to be on finer grits. But will try wetting the stones, double check my mounting and slow down and concentrate.. Stones have been through about 30 knives so I bet it’s something I’m doing to cause it (usually is)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Good advice already. I like the soapy water tip. And make sure you use little pressure when sharpening.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Yes yes yes on the pressure thing. Let the diamonds do the cutting and it does not take much force at all. I still have to check myself on how much pressure I am using.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.