Advanced Search

Angle Gauge & Stropping Questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Angle Gauge & Stropping Questions

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I enjoy trying all the different options just trying to make sense out of what I am experiencing

This is such a fun hobby!

Yep! :cheer:

I’m the same way, I got the paper just to try, but have been very surprised and pleased with the results. Like I mentioned, I tend to use sandpaper much longer after most people consider it worn out 😆

I think I’ve done 4 knives with the current set of strips, and they’re holding up well. I’ll do another three or four this weekend and see what the longevity is though. I’ll use ’em to death :silly:

ARES: After some practice you can experiment with micro-bevels using the 1000 grit or higher stones. Clay has mentioned that he often uses that technique to keep a nice mirror shine on his bevels to show off, but retain a tougher cutting edge with some tooth. Definitely something I’m going to start playing with myself in the near future, now that I have the ability to get a really nice shine. It’ll only improve once I can budget more goodies!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

This is what got me going with the abrasive papers…
    It is long, and I don’t now agree with some of it…
    but it is still impressive:

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I polished a Leek with 2500g sandpaper… I don’t think a 1000g diamond stone would leave this…

:silly:

(You hit on the secret… the more you use it, the finer it gets.)

Attachments:
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

CBW,
    Of course you are correct on both counts. The 1000 grit plates will not polish like the sandpaper at 2500 grit (FEPA-P), and the more you use the sandpaper, the less grit there is to do the job…and what is still there has generally fractured and become equivalent to a much finer grit. The only problem here is that it takes forever to get results once the paper is worn. This is surely the secret to a finer polish, but also to spending much more time getting there.

One can do a very nice job with sandpapers… and even better if some of the 3M lapping paper is added at finer grit levels. But,if the option to get some of the ceramics or Choseras, or Shaptons is there, you can get an even better polish and edge with better consistency over time (and not having to mess with changing paper, storing it, and having to continually replace it). I am happy that I went through the process of learning to use the sandpapers to their best effect (I still have a large supply of sandpaper and 3M film), but I am really glad that I have now gotten the stone selection that I use today. It took me close to two years to get there, but it is worth it.

I still want to get a full set of the 4 grits in the WEPS ceramics to give them a try, but that will be a bit later.

Just saying, if the opportunity arrises for anyone to try some of the finer grit stones, you will be happy that you did. If you do lots of sharpening, they will also end up being cheaper to use in terms of time savings, convenience, and material costs.

Phil

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.