Advanced Search

An Introduction of Sorts

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat An Introduction of Sorts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Wilson
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 13

Hello!
    I’ve been reading and learning a lot on this forum! Thought it was finally time to create an account and introduce myself!

I recently sold my Lansky and got a WEPS! I’m so excited. It’s on its way.
    I got a PP1, 1200/1600, Cube, Eraser, and some Blank Platens.

I plan to inlay the Blank platens with some glass.
    I’ve got a storage solution set up.
    I’ve got a list of ancillary tools and mods.

I’ve been a long time member of EDCF and BF, but I’ve recently gained much interest in the science and more advanced subjects of steel, knives, and sharpening.

I want to thank ALL of you on here and especially Clay and the WE team!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome from a anther noob. I have been at it for a couple of months now and all I can say is this has turned into a complete obsession! I’ve gone to everybody looking for knifes to work on. It used to be just to get a knife sharp? Now it is just how sharp do you want it to be? If one of my knifes is not “Wicked Sharp” now, it just won’t do!! Watch lots of videos and have fun!!!

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Replies: 41

Welcome

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome! Post some pics when you’re all setup! 🙂

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

Welcome. I’d love to see some photos as well.

Jacob Wilson
    Participant

Photos will be provided. Ordered the set up on Thursday. Not sure how long estimated shipping is. Not worried about it though.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Welcome :cheer:

Jacob Wilson
    Participant

Welcome! Post some pics when you’re all setup! :)[/quote]

You asked!

I got my Wicked Edge all set up.
    Prior to today I had kept the sharpener on the base sitting on my nightstand. All the accessories were kept in here:

The wife didn’t like me using the nightstand and I wanted something more capable for storage and whatnot. So I built a small table:

Mounted the sharpener:

Attached some drawer liner to protect the stones and joints from banging around when I set them down:

Made the table a hinge top box to store the stones, strops, and other items:

A dowel to keep the door open:

Some dowels to hold up the stones:

A VCI pack to keep the rust away. I know the diamond stones won’t rust, but I wouldn’t want any steel shavings left on the stones to cause any rust that might spread to the stones. Farfetched, maybe.

The alignment ruler is tucked away:

The magnifiers also work ok with my phone so I can get some edge pics (only about 60x):

I love this system and set up. Definitely recommend it. The table cost $40 to build.
    Anyway, I’m having so much fun with the WE. Sharpened a bunch of knives, broke in the stones.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

That’s awesome!

Thanks!!!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome, Jacob! And nice table you’ve made. I’ve been thinking of building something similar myself. One reason I haven’t done it yet is I thought it has to be heavy with thick legs in order to be stable enough and not wiggle. Your table/drawer seems to have quite thin and long legs. Is it stable enough?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jacob Wilson
    Participant

Welcome, Jacob! And nice table you’ve made. I’ve been thinking of building something similar myself. One reason I haven’t done it yet is I thought it has to be heavy with thick legs in order to be stable enough and not wiggle. Your table/drawer seems to have quite thin and long legs. Is it stable enough?

It does wobble a little, and if you were to run into it accidently, it might just fall over. But for sharpening, it doesn’t wobble nearly that much at all. Granted, my strops are not like Clay’s–where they will lift the base–but I haven’t had any trouble. There are also angled top plates you can use to angle the legs outward to provide better stability. For the $4 it cost, I might switch them out sometime later.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.