Advanced Search

Aloha everyone!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Aloha everyone!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I’ve been reading the forums for a while now since a certain Uncle of mine *cough* Gib Curry *cough* showed me his Wicked Edge setup and I knew it was the way to go for me as well!

Can’t remember last time I had a hobbie that was so fun. I’ve made alot of progress in last month or so, even whittled a hair first time ever few days ago! :blink:

I have lots of questions, photos, and my own beginner research to share for advice etc and can’t wait. Would have posted sooner but was trying to find where to upload a profile pic and for the life of me can’t find where/how to do it.

Figured it was time to say Hi and ask for assistance. LOL Look forward to getting to know you all better! B)

-Cliff

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Welcome Cliff, it’s great to have you! To add an avatar, click on your own profile link, then click the Edit button which you’ll find on the right side of the orange bar that says “Profile for …” Then click on the tab that says “Avatar Image”. You should be able to upload your photo from there. Please see the screen shots from my profile page:

-Clay

CliffCurry
    Participant

I have a picture now, thx Clay!!!

The edit button was just off screen with my zoom settings. Doh :whistle:

So much fun being the “new guy”. Been reading thru the threads for a month or so and have forgotten as much as I’ve learned I think. But seriously this Wicked Edge system is amazing. I purchased my system second hand from a friend and have upgraded to the Pro Pack 2 w/ ball joints etc. My 100/200 grit paddles dont have much bite left in them and wondering if they can be “resurfaced”? Also I sprung for the 1200/1600 ceramics and they seem really “gritty”, wondering how long it takes them to settle down.

Current budget constraints have required me to get a bit creative for the higher grits, but I am getting by with taping wet/dry strips onto paddles up to 3000 grit. Totally ghetto but it seems to get it close to mirror. Also I do have a pair of beat up 5u/3/5u strops that I resurfaced. I am at the point where I need a loupe or scope to progress with different compounds & strops etc. Any advice on how to make budget strops, & compounds/polishes greatly appreciated, have tried several steel buffing compounds from the hardware store but I’m in the dark on micro grit progression below 3.5u. :unsure:

Great to be apart of this forum and thanks again Clay for the help!!!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Cliff, welcome here! Great that entire families are joining the forum 😉 .

As to resurfacing diamond stones… hmmm… Maybe somebody else has good ideas, but I think this would be rather hard. The diamonds don’t break out from the substrate they’re embedded in, but they do get more rounded as they wear. And to try to sharpen every diamond in the stone… It takes a very long time, though, before they’re worn out.

I’ve also never made my own strops, but I do know there are people who have. So let’s wait for them to chime in. I don’t know if you have any whetstones, but you could use these to make your own stropping compounds. It works particularly well with Choseras. Simply scrape off the mud they produce and there you go.

I just happened to recommend a loupe in another thread. http://www.wickededgeusa.com/forum/2-welcome-mat/13187-to-get-the-2000-3000-wets?limitstart=0&start=10 . It’s very cheap, but it works well.

Enjoy your WEPS!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant

Thanks Mark for the welcome and the link! Those prices are crazy cheap. So cheap I ordered several to have as backups for when the kids invariably get their hands on one and lose it under the bed!

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I’ve been reading the forums for a while now since a certain Uncle of mine *cough* Gib Curry *cough* showed me his Wicked Edge setup and I knew it was the way to go for me as well!

Can’t remember last time I had a hobbie that was so fun. I’ve made alot of progress in last month or so, even whittled a hair first time ever few days ago! :blink:

-Cliff

You were infected with the “disease” long before I showed you the Wicked Edge. We were probably both infected by your GrandPa Curry.

If you’re going to be OCD about mirrored knife bevels and popping or slicing hair, you’ve got the right equipment.

I know you’ve already got the “eye” for it; now you have the equipment and the company and expertise of the “sharpest” forum on the Net.

Are there other owners in Hawaii or on Maui?

So, now the thing is, weather the hurricane….

(Love you, nephew. We’ll talk soon.)

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Welcome Cliff,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.