Advanced Search

Alignment Guide

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Alignment Guide

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Al Thompson
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 0

What is the purpose of aligning the tip of the knife to the nearest mark on the alignment guide?

Thanks.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This link tells how to set up the knife… http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91:finding-the-sweet-spot-positioning-your-knife-from-front-to-back&catid=38:instructions&Itemid=81 You set it to the nearest mark, so that when you return to resharpen or touch up the blade… you can repeat what you did the last time.

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

What I’ve discovered in using my WEPS PPI is that if you don’t have an angle-meter, then the alignment guides are a great help in resetting the profile angle for any particular blade. By setting the alignment guide with the angle guide arms you’ll approximate as close to the desired angle on both sides of the blade. Note that the angle changes with the rise in height of the position of the blade.

If you don’t want an approximation, then it’s recommended you get an angle-meter. WE sells one on their site and it’s the most useful tool if you want precision angles. I highly recommend it!

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

I speak from lack of experience since my WES has not yet arrived, but doesn’t the vice change the angle on one side from what is marked on the sliding bar to which the arms are attached since only one side moves to accommodate the thickness of the blade stock? The angle will almost always be skewed and different for every blade of different thickness if I understand correctly. Hoping to get my WES on Friday this week.

Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

You would be may guessing without a angle cube. Blade height, thickness of the spin will always change things. It is by far the best money spent on an accessory. Yes WEPs carries these. There is also a testing stick sold by one of the dealers that when used properly is great for find ing small nicks in the steel. Beats cutting up fingers trying to find the ruff spots.

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I was pretty surprised at the difference finding the angle even with a phone app makes. I have several knives that between the factory bevel being uneven and the blade thickness offset on the jaws ended up several degrees different on the left arm to make the angle even. For example this little Gerber Mini Covert takes a nice 19 degree edge on its 154CM steel, with the right arm at 19 and the left at 17. Just one of those fun little nuances 🙂

For general purpose “just getting it sharp” you probably don’t even need to know the exact angle. Once you start checking for it though you’ll probably end up ADD like the rest of us… :silly:

Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

What you find is just guessing might be the difference between having a sharp useful knife and one that the edge rolls because of too steep an angle on the steel and it won’t hold. I think most people want too steep of an angle I.e. 17-18 degrees and a good working edge 22-24 degrees will work just as we’ll and last a lot longer. Depends on the usage of the knife. Sometimes on really good kitchen knives ill put a micro bevel at 24-25 degrees with a few stokes using 15K Chosera stones. Then strop a little on horse butt.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.