Advanced Search

Acute angles on thick blade stock

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Acute angles on thick blade stock

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Sharkey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 40

I just wanted to show off a15° edge on a thick blade. It’s a pile of reprofiling with the 50 grit stones but I think it looks pretty cool. I didn’t think S30V was that hard until I spent six hours grinding it. I think I will take the strops to it down to 0.5 micron and really shine it up. I think it should be a good slicer.

Anyone else try this kind of thing?

Should I throw an 18 degree micro bevel on there?

I love my WE

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I did the same thing to a Maxpedition Excelsa and I tell you, the D2 blade took even longer to grind and I didn’t have to go as far. They seem to do a hell of a heat treat. I really only have D2 done by Benchmade to compare to though.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

A nice piece of work mate! Well done! :silly: B)
    Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I did the same thing to a Maxpedition Excelsa and I tell you, the D2 blade took even longer to grind and I didn’t have to go as far. They seem to do a hell of a heat treat. I really only have D2 done by Benchmade to compare to though.

D2 steel is indeed very hard and takes a bit of work. Holds and edge really well too.

Leo

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

Thanks mister. I was also thinking that there isn’t much that looks cooler than a Damascus blade a mirror polish on the secondary bevel. I just did one yesterday. I will post a picture.

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

My grandpa’s old pocket knife

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Etched on top of the damascus etch thats interesting I have not seen that before.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Replies: 164

My grandpa’s old pocket knife

Both look great. Love the etching on this one – very unique

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I am just new to this online game. I typed in a google image search wicked edges, and man did I see some cool stuff. I am definitely going to try a convex edge on something I have that is thick. Would you guys recommend starting with the most accurate angle and going all the way to the apex with it, or would you recommend starting with the most obtuse angle? Would you guys recommend putting a micro bevel on a convex edge on a f thick blade?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I am just new to this online game. I typed in a google image search wicked edges, and man did I see some cool stuff. I am definitely going to try a convex edge on something I have that is thick. Would you guys recommend starting with the most accurate angle and going all the way to the apex with it, or would you recommend starting with the most obtuse angle? Would you guys recommend putting a micro bevel on a convex edge on a f thick blade?

There is actually a little more info on this site about convex edges. For some weird reason though the site is barely moving for me so this should get you started.

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/files/Creating%20a%20Convex%20Edge.pdf

Have fun!!!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

The way I did it is to work with the shallowest angle first and work it to the edge I did it on some Globals.
    So 10Ëš through to the edge check for burr; then 15Ëšwith finishing stone then work back – 14Ëš-13Ëš-12Ëš-11Ëš then strop out the steps I did the stropping free hand you could then put a micro bevel on top of the 15Ëš bevel say 20Ëšwith the finest stone you have just do a couple of sweeps check with loupe it won’t take much.
    I should also mention that the high to low bevels will not need many sweeps just enough to create the bevels and should be done with finishing stones check with the loupe you will not be looking to remove much steel through these steps

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

See here for the pros and cons of the methods:http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/category/convex-edge/ (bottom 4 articles).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

excellent. Thank you very much. I will definitely check that out.I’m not sure if you meant to put a link in my life section where you said check here for the pros and cons….. There was no link that showed up on my End , if that is the case.hand

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I have bad eyes…. There is a web address but not the link. That is no problem I can just copy and paste thank you very much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.