Advanced Search

Acid Etching Blades……..Good or BAD ?

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Acid Etching Blades……..Good or BAD ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

:unsure:

Guys and Gals………..what are your opinions on acid etching blades as to whether it weakens the steel, ruins the edge, etc. ?

Have been looking at a lot of cool designs and methods on YouTube, but I also don’t want to mess up a perfectly good blade either.

I just figure there are more steel experts and maybe a ” how to ” expert on etching on here, than is probably on YouTube……….anyone have any thoughts or comments on this topic ?

Joey
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 10

I don’t have any experience actually etching a blade, but I do have an acid stonewashed blade (see my alias for sale here)…Personally I haven’t noticed any ill effects. Seems like it would take quite a bit of negligence to mess the process up…
    Heres a pretty good video on the process…It has a good bit of extra entertainment (if you see it that way) but, the process is covered pretty well.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I’ve done it to carbon and stainless. Blades and haven’t noticed anything. When you sharpen it reveals fresh steal
    Try it out it’s fun * use an old knife first

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Damascus blades are etched to define the pattern if they are worn you can redefine them using etching fluid with 50% water since the damascus patterns often loose their contrast with wear . So I think it would be correct to assume that the etching does little harm I would leave sharpening until after etching.
    Acids do remove the keenness of an edge which is why knives should be rinsed immediately after cutting tomatoes ,onions and the like ; the acids erode part of the steel so the fine edge will be the part of the steel most effected.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

thanks for all the comments guys…..Rubicon, you mentioned a video, but I did not see one attached or a link ?

Joey
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 10

Sorry bout that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEzUYSCojjw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.