Advanced Search

A word of caution

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat A word of caution

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Zabojnik
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 2

I know all of you know this absolute common sense thing, but please be careful when you are handling knives.

I sharpened a Kershaw with steel similar to Aus-8 which sharpens very well on the Wicked edge and is razor sharp. While I was flipping it out and closing it, I was talking to someone and NOT paying attention to the knife like I should have been. This was the one time I didn’t prefer a razor sharp knife, and in fact I was wishing it was a very dull knife. 🙂

Moral of the story and why I say especially be careful. I cut the tip of my thumb next to the nail and straight across, but because of where it is cut, I can’t sharpen or use many knives right now. I tend to be favoring my spring-assists and I am having to use my left hand which is a very “dumb” hand. Haha

Just a friendly reminder to please be careful so that you can continue sharpening your knives with the Wicked edge. Because just having to look at it is no bueno.

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

Common sense, yes but good advice none the less. I could see how it would be possible to get careless since the system is geared toward novice users (me). A bit like driving while texting. I will remember just how dangerous these bits of steel can really be and stop sharpening when the phone rings or my wife walks in etc.

Thanks for the reminder.
    Good luck with that thumb, bummer dude!!!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Sorry to hear that man! I would hate that…

Now, please tell me you took some pics! Lol

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

I remember the first time I actually got the WEPS system to sharpen a knife to razor sharpness and I didn’t think it was that sharp so I put my thumb on the blade to feel it pull against my finger…didn’t think anything of it, and I thought hmmmm, that was kind of sharp! But being inexperience and it didn’t seem to cut me, I thought nothing of it. Well it wasn’t until dinner that night that I pour a vinegar/oil dressing on my salad did I feel a burning sensation on the same thumb. That’s when I realized this WEPS system is really pretty amazing stuff.

My experience is nothing like what happened to Micheal, and now that I know better, it’s always nail side down whenever it’s time to check for sharpness.

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

Like a paper cut, those things can be irritating for days.

Angel Tellez
    Participant
    • Replies: 15

Sorry to hear about your thumb Michael! When I first started getting really into knives (a few months ago) I had just received a Spyderco Zulu in the mail (hollow ground, S30V) and I was really excited to check her out. I was walking to my couch and opened her up and really wasnt paying attention to anything but my gorgeous new knife, I sat down while looking at the knife in the opened position and it slipped out of my hand as I sat down… The knife fell to the carpet and I picked it up, but when I bent my knee I felt a sudden pain. I sliced my knee open, about an inch + in length and 1/3+ inch wide, but it was so sharp it didnt bleed for about a full minute and I didnt even feel it until I moved and bent my knee. I needed six stitches, and even now that its healed, it still hurts if I bend my knee too much or too long. But it was definitly a learning experience for me. I am just lucky that it happened before I sharpened the knife, or I would have needed more than six stitches.

Anyway, I just thought Id share. I hope your thumb heals up quickly.

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I’ve been fortunate enough to not slice myself up too bad on a knife, but the worst I’ve ever cut myself was actually the sharp edge of a gun part. I was cleaning out the inside of a VERY dirty Remington shotgun and a sharp burr raised from parts wear slashed right through my cleaning rag and a goodly segment of my finger. I’m used to guns beating my hands up though, between the heavily spring loaded bits, sharp edges and actions closing unexpectedly 😆

Michael Zabojnik
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

I love where this thread has gone! Reading all of these stories has been fun.

I feel like I am babying my thumb, and maybe I am, but I want it to heal as fast as it can!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.