Advanced Search

A little blade work

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos A little blade work

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Finished this Sniper Bladeworks LPC up today… thought you guys would find some WIP pics interesting =) Love doing this kind of stuff… the final edge is at 15 dps on the Wicked Edge w/ the edge shoulders being around 15 thousandths.

Prior to the regrind it was extremely thick, about double what I set large choppers at! It was a sharpened crowbar… well, it wasn’t that sharp actually hehe.

First thing I did was reprofile the edge to around 15 dps because that was going to be my final angle anyway. Look how thick it gets:

And a tip pic for reference…

So, time to take it to the grinder! Thinned it out in a major way, converted the grind to a flat grind (from the hollow it was) and brought it up a tad, fixed the plunge/choil area and then modded the finger choil to make it much more comfortable!

Then for the etch, stonewash, and sharpening! Much better now!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Dude that is great work.  How did you get the color back to black?  Is that from the stone wash?  Or did you wash it something for the patina?  Did you weigh the blade?  Just curious how much weight you took off.  Thanks for the pics, this interesting to see the progression.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Extremely nice work.,…

Josh
    Participant

Dude that is great work. How did you get the color back to black? Is that from the stone wash? Or did you wash it something for the patina? Did you weigh the blade? Just curious how much weight you took off. Thanks for the pics, this interesting to see the progression.

It was soaked in etchant which basically forces oxidation. No, I didn’t weigh the blade but that’s a great idea on projects like this!! I’ve gotta do that! It wasn’t as much steel as the steel I removed off of this kitchen knife (that pile next to it is the steel removed), but it was a lot for the blade size!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I love your reprofiling and regrinding, Josh! My Kershaw Blur was a knife that cut in a mediocre way and had a weird recurve. You turned it into a sleek knife that cuts great! More people should consider your services 😉 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Super nice work there, Josh.   Man, where did you learn to do work like that?  You made that knife look the way it’s supposed to.

Alan

Josh
    Participant

Thanks guys!

I love your reprofiling and regrinding, Josh! My Kershaw Blur was a knife that cut in a mediocre way and had a weird recurve. You turned it into a sleek knife that cuts great! More people should consider your services ? .

Glad you like that thing Mark!! It’s a perfect edc that’s for sure, a pleasure to carry!

Super nice work there, Josh. Man, where did you learn to do work like that? You made that knife look the way it’s supposed to.

Thanks bud. Practice and more practice hehe. In my opinion, most knives are way too thick from the factory for what most people use them for. Having the primary grind (i.e. the main flat grind) thinned out is the single largest thing you can do to improve cutting ability.

Edwe
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

one word  WOW

Could you pls tell us moore about that process with “soaked in etchant which basically forces oxidation”

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That’s great stuff Josh!

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

one word WOW Could you pls tell us moore about that process with “soaked in etchant which basically forces oxidation”

You can get the PCB etchant from radio shack, dilute it half and half water, then clean your blade off, mask off the pivot and areas you don’t want the metal to be removed from, then dip it in the etchant for a few minutes (this is a mild acid which will eat away the metal if you leave it in for too long, that’s why we mask). Then take it out and stonewash it and oil it! There’s a lot of youtube videos on it.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Inspiring Josh as always….WOW!  🙂

gregory mais
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

very nice , thanks

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

As always very nice work

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.