Advanced Search

A few questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat A few questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 41

Hi everyone

I have yet to order my WEP and have a few question to help me pull the trigger.

1. I see Clay using the Shapton stones but do not see them in the stone accessories.
    2. When is the attachment coming out for the smaller angles
    3. Is there duty to be paid when shipping to Canada?
    4. The ceramic stones top out at 1600, is that smooth enought to strop to get a mirror finish.
    5. Does one use water with the ceramic stones or is it dry like the diamonds.

Thx
    Kenny

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi everyone

I have yet to order my WEP and have a few question to help me pull the trigger.

1. I see Clay using the Shapton stones but do not see them in the stone accessories.
    2. When is the attachment coming out for the smaller angles
    3. Is there duty to be paid when shipping to Canada?
    4. The ceramic stones top out at 1600, is that smooth enought to strop to get a mirror finish.
    5. Does one use water with the ceramic stones or is it dry like the diamonds.

Thx
    Kenny

I can help you with some of the questions:
    -the Shaptons will be there soon but for the present, I believe that everyone is busy playing catch-up with the back-orders…first things first
    -the low angle attachment is being made in the machine shop in Vermont and probably will be available sometime in the new year…I understand there are two models being developed
    -I am not absolutely certain but I can’t remember having to pay duty on the rig. I am in Kitchener ON, where are you?
    -The 1600 is enough to get a very passable mirror finish, but not as bright as the finish by the Chosera or Shapton stones
    -no water is necessary to use the ceramics

I hope this helps.

All the best fellow Canadian
    Leo

Kennith Chan
    Participant

Hi there Leo

I am in Mississauga, not too far from you.

As I have not ordered my unit yet maybe I should wait for the backlog to die down a little and hopefully the new attachment will be in by then?

Also are there other ceramics stones that go above 1600? I would prefer to use a dry system if possible. I seem to remember Arkansa stones when I was younger but never really used one.

Thx for the reply.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hey Ken

You can wait if you like or get in the line-up since the low angle attachment will be an add-on so you might as well go for the basic or pro kit first and then decide whether you will need/want the new attachment or not.
    There no ceramics beyond what you see now, but I don’t know if Clay has something new up his sleeve. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Shaptons can be used dry.
    I hope I remembered correctly about duty taxes…a call
    to your local UPS should let you know as that is how I believe it will be shipped. Their brokers look after all that stuff.

Cheers mate
    Leo

Kennith Chan
    Participant

Hi Leo

Thx for all the help so far. I can see the low angle attachment being an add on. SInce I am thinking of getting a Japanese kitchen knife or 2 so I think it might be someting I would be interested in.

I saw the vid with the Shaptons and they don’t seems as messy.

I will call UPS and see what they say. I also understand there is a backlog so more than liekly I will only order in the new year. This time of the year does get a little hectic.

Regards
    Kenny

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.