Advanced Search

A drop of oil on the bottom clamp screw…

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance A drop of oil on the bottom clamp screw…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I was having a bit of trouble tightening the bottom screw, it seemed that it was very resistant, so on a whim, I added a drop of oil to the end of the screw (where it contacts the opposite clamp). Man, what a difference… now super easy to tighten.

So, thought I’d pass it along… (hope it’s not a tip out there already).

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

Great idea. I put soap on mine … just run the treads of the screw over a bar of soap. It’s like a combination of oil and wax.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

I used metal tape to hold a small piece of Stainless Steel where the screw digs into the clamp.
    It would be nice to have Clay insert a SS insert from WE so it wouldnt dig into the clamp. I know this would add to the cost.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I used metal tape to hold a small piece of Stainless Steel where the screw digs into the clamp.
    It would be nice to have Clay insert a SS insert from WE so it wouldnt dig into the clamp. I know this would add to the cost.

Do you mean like this?

🙂 These new inserts will be on all of our future production runs, including the order we just made, due in at the beginning of the summer.

Attachments:

-Clay

Tony Pettersen
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

a drop of oil was tremendously effective.. nice one!

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Clay,

Exactly, that looks a lot better than my mod! Ok, next question how much for a replacement?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay,

Exactly, that looks a lot better than my mod! Ok, next question how much for a replacement?

I don’t have prices yet but I’ll post it when I have a quote and ETA.

-Clay

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Replies: 159

I’ll never catch up to all these upgrades and mods at this rate 😛

Great to hear you’re always improving on the kit, Clay. Keep up the good work!

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Do you mean like this?

🙂 These new inserts will be on all of our future production runs, including the order we just made, due in at the beginning of the summer.[/quote]

Clay, will these inserts be made available to folks that have the older versions …..and what does it require for installment…..drill it out and tap it for threaded insert ? Would really like to have this on mine as the bottom screw is digging into the aluminum clamp pretty good……let us know ?:)

wickededge
    Keymaster

Do you mean like this?

🙂 These new inserts will be on all of our future production runs, including the order we just made, due in at the beginning of the summer.[/quote]

Clay, will these inserts be made available to folks that have the older versions …..and what does it require for installment…..drill it out and tap it for threaded insert ? Would really like to have this on mine as the bottom screw is digging into the aluminum clamp pretty good……let us know ?:)[/quote]

They’re coming installed on all the new vise jaws that are (hopefully) arriving very soon. I hadn’t thought about adding them to existing jaws. I’ll check w/ the machine shop and see what’s involved.

-Clay

John Genovese
    Participant
    • Replies: 35

I got my kit a couple of weeks ago, the steel insert is not there???

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I got my kit a couple of weeks ago, the steel insert is not there???

I don’t mean to be contrary…but sometimes I get confused…
    Clay said ONE day ago:

“They’re coming installed on all the new vise jaws that are (hopefully) arriving very soon.”

So how would the inserts be included on a vise that was delivered a couple of weeks ago???

John Genovese
    Participant
    • Replies: 35

“They’re coming installed on all the new vise jaws that are (hopefully) arriving very soon.”

So how would the inserts be included on a vise that was delivered a couple of weeks ago???

I guess we are both a bit confused. LOL

They’re is actually they are, so They’re coming installed on all the new vise jaws…. means they are now. Properly said (and less confusing) is “They will be coming on…..” They will be means in the future.

English lesson over….. :cheer:

wickededge
    Keymaster

JohnnyG – good point 🙂

On another note, I like your Zee Maps link. Are the users shown the ones that are currently logged on?

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I guess we are both a bit confused. LOL

They’re is actually they are, so They’re coming installed on all the new vise jaws…. means they are now. Properly said (and less confusing) is “They will be coming on…..” They will be means in the future.

English lesson over….. :cheer:[/quote]

English lesson begins..
    😛
    Read the entire sentence…

They are coming on the new vise jaws that will be delivered soon..
    Not on the vise jaws that have been delivered… right?

In this day of instant gratification… it is common to not read an entire sentence…
    Or to reply with one!

I guess I read it differently…
    BUT, it is not important. Now that Clay has been duly corrected, for saying what he meant, we all know what is happening..
    👿
    :woohoo:

BTW.. now I am being contrary…
    Though the idea is a very good one, and I applaud Clay for incorporating it into new production sets, It has yet to become a problem for me. Even though I have “at least” 200 knives through the current set of jaws, and scaring is not a problem, I really like the idea!. When I replace these jaws in a few (or maybe several) hundred more knives, I will ask for a set of the new ones with the insert!!

My take is, if you are screwing up the surface of the moveable jaw with the tension screw, you might think of using less tension when tightening that thing down.
    IMHO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.