Advanced Search

1200 / 1600 Ceramic stones disappeared from site?

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box 1200 / 1600 Ceramic stones disappeared from site?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

tightening up the formula. We’ve also added a step where they vibrate the stones in house to remove the kiln layer before shipping them to us.

Sure enough mine are chalky too, they chip along the edges very quickly and are very light compared to the micro’s I also purchased.

Why are the two ceramics so different Clay?
    A different manufacturer or process?

Can we expect the new 1200/1600’s to be more like the micro’s?[/quote]

The ceramic process is completely different and they do come from a different manufacturer. The Superfines will never be much like the Micro-Fines which is good since they both have their place. I still love and use my Superfines quite a lot; they’re perfect when I want to get the deeper scratches of the diamonds out. If I’m looking to create a perfectly smooth bevel, I use those stones.

-Clay

Kyle Mazur
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 21

any news on whether these are coming back? I see Clay you said it would be at least 6 weeks and that was almost 2 months ago. Any new news?

kmm

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hi Kyle
    Kyle told us this past week that they would be in this coming week or the next. Hopefully they’ll be here as we are almost out! 😛

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Billabong do you consider these to be defective to the point where you are asking for replacements?

I do now, there appears to be a crack across the surface of one.

Unless this is normal behaviour of course?

wickededge
    Keymaster

No, they shouldn’t be cracked… Please send off an email to Kyle with pictures and we’ll get you taken care of.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

No, they shouldn’t be cracked… Please send off an email to Kyle with pictures and we’ll get you taken care of.

I’ll take some more pics in daylight.

Thanks Clay, what is Kyles email?

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Kyle Kaplan
    kyle AT wickededgeusa DOT com

Chris
    Participant

Thanks Phil.

Chris
    Participant

I will just point Kyle to this thread?
    What do you think has happened here Clay?

wickededge
    Keymaster

It’s too hard to speculate but I’ll try anyway 🙂 I’m guessing that there was a micro-fracture that we never knew about and it finally cracked with pressure. I haven’t seen very many of those before, maybe only one or two out of all the ones we’ve sold.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

I have some more “crumbling” going on now.

Kyle asked for my shipping address, but I was wondering if he has posted or sends a tracking number?

Cheers!

Andrew Blaida
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

This is a good question, one that a lot of people ask and that we’ve gone back and forth with the manufacturer about. These stones are very different than what most people expect yet they are extremely effective. The coarse blue stones take time to break in. They have what is called a “kiln layer” that needs to be removed. The easiest way is to just use them and let the powder come off. Once you get them broken in, you’ll be pleasantly surprised how well they clean up the edge after the diamond stones.

I went ahead with my order from Wicked Edge and also placed an order for the 1200 / 1600 stones from here[/url], where they are available now.

I received them today, and I have to wonder about the 1200 side. The 1600 side looks correct, but the 1200 side is porous. I also rubbed the blunt side of a cheap pair of scissors across the 1200 stone, and (as TonyPettersen mentions above) it actually removed a little of the stone. I’m confused how such a stone will be able to cut steel in micro increments for sharpening as it seems to actually be softer than cheap steel? (By comparison I’ve had the Spyderco Sharpmaker for some time and those stones aren’t like this.)

As you can tell I’m a novice when it comes to professional sharpening so I’m not sure if I have a bad stone or if I just have a lack of knowledge.

Interested to hear any input! 🙂

[/quote]

He’s right about the 1200 grit ceramic stone… it does better than the 1600, and will put a very nice mirror on the blade if done correctly.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.