Advanced Search

1 and .5 Balsa Strops

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping 1 and .5 Balsa Strops

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ravenbrook
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 11

I’ve heard that lowering the angle to strop a knife is the right thing to do with leather strops. I saw something about possibly not having to lower the angle 1 or 2 degrees if you are using the balsa strops. Is there truth in this?

And one further question: I have a Spyderco Manix 2 with S110V, I made sure that I got a burr all the way up and down the blade on both sides with the 100 grit stones. Then with each set of stones, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 and 1600 ceramics I made sure to use the magic marker on the blade before using each stone to make sure that it all was being removed with each stone/ceramic. I lowered the angle by 2 degrees and I then used my 1 and .5 balsa strops for about 50 strokes a side. The blade looks nice and polished and it does a great job with copy paper. With phone paper it is “just ok”. What kind of pressure would you recommend? I’m sure there are more than one school of thought about number of strokes. Is 50 or so OK? Or would more help sharpen the blade more?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Lowering the angle to strop a knife is a good idea if you use leather strops. The reason is that leather has some pliability. If you don’t lower the angle, you run the risk of rounding the edge of your blade.

But this doesn’t apply to balsa. (Well, this probably has some pliability as well, but far less than leather.) If you lowered your angle by two degrees and then used the balsa strops, they probably wouldn’t have an effect on the edge of the edge. So that’s the first thing I would change.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.