Advanced Search

WEPS Chosera Stone Progression

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos WEPS Chosera Stone Progression

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Petr
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I did a WEPS 100, 200, 400, 600 diamond stock stone progression followed by a a 800, 2K, 5K, and 10K WEPS Chosera stone progression and did a blog writeup with microscope pictures at each stage.

Here is the link[/url].

Enjoy! B)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Great looking progression Tom!

-Clay

Jeffrey
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

Read the blog it was very informational and helped a lot. I still need to get more in depth before I can hang with you big boys but it is fun and thanks for the new forum Clay.

Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

I am still waiting on my WE but was wondering after reading this post what the difference is in finish between the stones Tom was using and the leather strops that I ordered with my kit
    Thanks
    Lucky

wickededge
    Keymaster

I am still waiting on my WE but was wondering after reading this post what the difference is in finish between the stones Tom was using and the leather strops that I ordered with my kit
    Thanks
    Lucky

Hey Lucky,
    Thanks for the phone call earlier. Here is a page showing the difference in grit size between all the stones offered: Stones and Strops Comparison You can click on the images I’ve uploaded to see a much closer view. There is a striking difference in the finish with the strops as compared to the fine grit waterstones, even in the coarser strops like the 14/10 micron set. I’ll be uploading more images as soon as I can.

-Clay

Zach
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

Thanks
    Lucky

Hey Lucky,
    Thanks for the phone call earlier. Here is a page showing the difference in grit size between all the stones offered: Stones and Strops Comparison You can click on the images I’ve uploaded to see a much closer view. There is a striking difference in the finish with the strops as compared to the fine grit waterstones, even in the coarser strops like the 14/10 micron set. I’ll be uploading more images as soon as I can.[/quote]

Hey Clay,

Awesome forum! What a great idea. So in your experience are you getting a better mirror polish w/ the strops than water stones 5/3.5 micron vs 3K/5K Chosera. Is it reasonable to go from the 5K water stones to the 3.5 strops?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hey Lucky,

The 3.5 strops are a great step after the 5k stones. Even though their a little bit coarser, the action of the leather is so different that it brings about a pretty radical transformation on the metal within a few strokes.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Clay, when you do the Fallknivens, why not do them on this site as well as on the Knife Forum’s Keeping Sharp. Some people may only belong to this forum so it would be a convenience to them. Just a thought!
    Later

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster

Leo,

I think I’ll get to the knives starting today 🙂 Thanks for the suggestion about posting here too. I’ll definitely do that.

–Clay

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

After a few days at other tasks, I’m finally able to start up the progression comparison again. The next knife to sharpen is a Fällknieven TK2. The knives come very well sharpened new with a nearly complete Scandinavian grind. There is a very fine micro-bevel so it’s not a true Scandi, but it is very close. Below is a picture of my F1 that has not been sharpened yet, showing the tiny micro-bevel:

Zoom In – 230x

Leo’s knife has been sharpened with a series of bevels or facets and is on the way to becoming convex. Here is a photo of the knife as it came in from Leo:

Zoom In – 230x

Next I’ll get to work sharpening this knife. I’ll use the Shapton stones for this one and the Choseras for the Fällknieven folder.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I started sharpening this at 16.5 degrees with the 220# stones. I used an inclinometer to measure the actual angle since the Shapton stones are thicker than the stock Wicked Edge stones and give a more acute angle. The settings on the Wicked Edge sharpener for this knife are:
    Angle – 21 Degrees
    Depth – Top Holes
    Alignment – B
    Here is a picture after flattening the bevels out:

Zoom In – 230x

Approximately 90 strokes per side. Elapsed time: 1.5 minutes.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

On to the 320# Shaptons:

Zoom In – 230x

Zoom In – 230x

I did approximately 90 strokes per side. Elapsed time: 00:01:30.

So far, I’m not seeing too much difference in the ability of the coarse stones to re-profile the bevels between the two types of steels in the ESEE and Fallknieven knives.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Clay, forgive my ignorance but is flattening the bevel the same as raising a burr. This the first time I have encountered the term. Knowing me, I have missed something I should have been doing! How like me.! LOL!

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster

Now the Shapton 1000#:

Zoom In – 230x

This phase was very easy, very rewarding. The brightness of the bevel came up very quickly.

Approximately 90 strokes per side. Elapsed time: 00:01:30

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, forgive my ignorance but is flattening the bevel the same as raising a burr. This the first time I have encountered the term. Knowing me, I have missed something I should have been doing! How like me.! LOL!

Leo

Leo,
    I don’t know that it’s even an accepted term in the industry. I use it to describe re-profiling your nice convex bevels into V-grinds so I can photograph them under the scope. I’ve got to make the plane of the bevel flat instead of curved or the camera will only be able to view a very small section.
    -Clay

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.