Advanced Search

Well I'll be…

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Well I'll be…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Amoo
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 18

I did a ton of reading and youtube watching before I decided to buy my WEPS and I felt it would only be fair if I left an honest feedback others who are thinking about pulling the trigger could use.

Now because of some medical conditions which we won’t get into, I’m unable to even use the sharpeners that elevate your stones to a certain angle and you just hold the knife at 90 degree.  My hands are just too shaky.  As I move further into the middle-high end of knife collecting I couldn’t let something like dull knives continue to ruin what are otherwise good knives.  Over the weekend I ordered my WEPS I off of Amazon and it arrived today.

By the time this thing hit my door I probably had over 100 hours of youtube under my belt.  I was ready with washers of different sizes and the whole deal to “modify” my WE to prevent the problems others in the past have had who didn’t have the new ball joint arms.  Turns out WE has already done this.  I’m not sure the exact manufacture date on my unit, but the arms have 2 washers already placed in between the arm and the holder on the pin.  The arms also appear to be thicker with much less play then many of the units I was seeing on youtube videos from a few years ago.  So for starters, good on you WE for seeing these problems and fixing them.

Now that said, these arms are dangerous.  I’ve already cut myself once and am honestly pretty disappointed.  As many of you know when you are doing the WE motion while sharpening, you slide back to front and top to bottom then out and back.  Well that would be great if the arms themselves would actually allow that pivot to happen, but they honestly do not.  About 50% of the time the snag while you’re trying to move the rod backwards as the pivot pin is trying to change sides.  I know we’re looking for tight tolerances for repeat ability, but I feel my arms are so tight, it’s not allowing for proper pivot of the movement joints.  Now can I oil the already high dust areas and do my best to keep them clean?  I absolutely can and am going to have to try that.  The reality is, should I really have to?

I currently can go very slow, 1 stroke at a time and manually unbind as I go and accomplish my sharpening (which we’ll get to), but I am unable to use that nice smooth bicycle motion and am pretty much going to be forced to buy the upgraded arms as these things as I said are just dangerous.  I’m extremely disappointed as a consumer and I’ll make a comparison to another product I own.  I currently own a Ruger LC9.  As some of you may know, the LC9 had many trigger issues and a few other issues which caused Ruger to go back to the drawing board and release the LC9s.  Upon release of the LC9s, Ruger offered a trade in program where LC9 owners could trade in their LC9 for LC9s.

I’m not suggesting that WE should necessarily go to that extent, but the reality is all of the upgrades and fixes they have made to the old rods, still doesn’t make them anywhere as user friendly, or in my case finger friendly as the newer rods.  The travel is not smooth and user friendly and WE knows it as they have released new rods.  The fact that I have purchased a unit which I knew had older rods, but obviously has what WE felt were some quick fixes to old problems, but they were unwilling to just change completely to the new rods is disappointing.

Okay so I’ve ranted enough about the rods.  Let’s move onto the machine itself.  It just flat out works.  It took my about 3 or 4 knives to get my stones broken in and cutting smoothly, but I expected this and started on some cheap promo knives I had lying around.  My most recent knife through the machine was a Schrade Old Timer 1520T.  I use this knife as one of my main skinning knives and love the profile in size.  Other then having to move this thing way up in the clamp to avoid rubbing, I was able to put a 16 degree primary edge with a small 20 degree bevel on it.  It literally push cuts paper with ease and I’ve never been able to get it this sharp.

So here I sit, $400+ dollars in with a machine I know does what it is supposed to do, and it does it well, but because of WE’s decision to continue to try to sell old technology and just make small fixes, it just doesn’t work with the smoothness that it should.  My advice to other people on the fence would be to weigh these options to yourself and just know you probably won’t have much choice but to upgrade to the newer arms if you buy this machine.  My advice to WE would be to please just retire these arms.  We as customers are already paying a premium price for this machine, most of us would be willing to pay another $50 or so for a stock unit with the updated arms, but to continue to sell arms which are just dangerous in my opinion makes me as a consumer feel nickle and dimed and I really hate that.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m quite sorry that you’re so unhappy with your new WEPS.  I, and a lot of other users here, have started out with the “Gen 1” system with the “universal joint” rod connectors and done so very successfully.  I think your main complaint is with their articulation and if I am wrong I will stand down and wait for WE to respond.

I stepped in to comment here because I have been in a similar position as a designer of equipment serving a technical market.  We (I) regularly made improvements to the processes we offered and had to make decisions very analogous to this.  Do we entirely abandon an earlier design simply because we have something better, even though it forces us to raise our prices?  The answer lies in the market you are trying to service.  Will discontinuing the older design eliminate an important segment of the market?  Or do we continue to offer the older design to entry-level buyers at a lower price – justified partly by the fact that the engineering has been paid for?

I’m not sure I understand your physical problems and how they relate to the articulation of the arms.  I too have an issue related to my abilities to make smooth, coordinated motions.  With me, it’s a neurological deficit caused by meds I take to reduce nerve pain.  Reducing nerve pain also causes one to lose some level of sensation and coordination.  I work around this by using one hand at a time and have found this to be a better approach than using the double-figure-eight method you see in the videos.  I upgraded to the ball-joint couplings when they came out, but I don’t recall ever noticing that there was a difference in the articulation of the old joints compared to the new ones.

BarmanBean
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 19

As a new WEPS user, I’ll say that I have not had a single binding issue with the normal universal joint arms that come with the kit.  Not one.  I started of doing only trailing edge strokes for safety (and going SLOWLY) but within a couple weeks and just a handful of knives, I’m pretty comfortable doing trailing and leading edge strokes with some decent speed as long as I don’t try to cover the entire length of longer knives like a chef knife–those I just work in sections, keeping work even across the length.

If you have bad binding with the universal joint arms, maybe there is an issue with your specific set?  I have no experience with the ball joint arms.

FinalEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

I have the Pro Pack II and mine didnt come with the Gen 1 arms. I dont really know if they were suppose too? But I cant put any input on how the gen 1 arms perform.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The Pro Pack II included the new spherical rod-end couplings.  This was a significant improvement, but more so because it provided micro-adjustment screws.  I don’t recall anyone singing praises to the vast improvement in precision or ease of operation.  The older arms did have a little more “play” in the mechanics of the universal joint, but not to the level where performance was an issue.  Good technique would produce high-quality edges.

I’m still trying to understand where this binding might be happening.  Perhaps the joints were assembled incorrectly?  Amoo: Can you post a photo of your WEPS and point us to the problem?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BarmanBean
    Participant

Yeah, fiddling around here, I can’t even get the universal joints to bind in any fashion even if I’m trying to somehow produce that effect.

Could OP possible have the ball joint arms and is swinging to far out to the side on the “return” strokes?  Isn’t there a limit to how for out away from the vise you can swing with those arms?

Amoo
    Participant

No let me try to articulate a little better what problem I’m having with my unit.  I right now have no knives on my unit and no stones on the rods.  If I point the rods towards myself, I can move the rod freely from left to right without any issue.  Now I point the rod away from myself, when I get to an angle of somewhere around 35 degrees (my angle cube says 55 when attached to the rod so math) my rod begins to bind as I move it back and forth.  This does so on both sides, but is much much worse on the left side then the right side.

In fact the binding is actually so severe that it has begun to dig into the aluminum on the left side.

Keep in mind, I have had this unit less than 24 hours and have sharpened less than 10 knives.  For those that have trouble picturing 35 degrees, the unit comes with a metal stabilizer for sharpening long, thin filet knifes, my unit begins to bind at that spot.  We all know that the arm are SUPPOSED to be able to extend at least to this unit and slightly past, however mine are unable to do so.

BarmanBean
    Participant

Well, the “good news” is that something definitely seems to be wrong with your specific rods.  I cannot produce any binding in the similar range of motion on my own rods.  I would definitely get in touch with WE / Clay to discuss the issue.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I would simply give wicked edge a call… They will fix you up in a jiffy not to worry.

Amoo
    Participant

Update time.  I have to admit I LOVE update time.  Thanks to those that have followed along here and let me know that it appears I have a set of bad arms.  So I called WE and Kyle answered the phone.  I don’t know Kyle from any of you guys, but he was just a cool dude to talk to and really helpful.  I basically pointed him to this thread and manually explained what I had going on while he looked at the picture.

From what Kyle has said from looking at the photos he feels the collars are too tight (the blue pieces) on my unit specifically and is shipping me new ones out right away.  He even said he’s going to pull a pair and test them before they go out.  I mean, does it get any better than that?  I know a lot of companies say they will go hand pick and try something before they send a replacement, but Kyle didn’t seem like the kinda dude who would just say that to appease the customer.

This review/feedback is officially on hold until I get my new arms in.  So far though, so good.

BarmanBean
    Participant

Awesome.  I’ve had a fantastic customer service experience with WE so far also, although my method of communication has been through facebook messages 🙂

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I am really sorry you don’t like your WEPS. I don’t know how much it had to do with your medical porblems. Most things have been said already. But is the sweeping motion dangerous? I have used it for four years now and haven’t had a single accident. Try to get used to it and be a bit careful in the beginning. Before you know it, you’ll almost like a pro.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Amoo
    Participant

I am really sorry you don’t like your WEPS. I don’t know how much it had to do with your medical porblems. Most things have been said alreaddy. But is the sweeping motion dangerous? I have used it for four years now and haven’t had a single accident. Try to get used to it and be a bit careful in the beginning. Before you know it, you’ll almost be like a pro.

Not sure you read the whole thread and all of the replies?  Already stated WE rep determined there to be a fault with my arms and is sending out replacement.  Besides that, I never said anything about the sweeping motion itself being dangerous.  I simply stated the sweeping motion when the arms bind is dangerous.  I think WE agrees which is why I have new collars on the way.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I also read the remainder of the thread. I hope it will alleviate your problems. I’ve never heard nor experienced a single bad thing about the WEPS customer service.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Amoo
    Participant

Update:  Contacted Kyle on the 10th, today is the 20th, still no collars 🙁 .  Tried calling WE got the mailbox, they might all be at SHOT.  Either way, kind of disappointing this thing has just been sitting here for 10 days, should have been more then enough time to ship anything from Oregon to Georgia even by the slowest means possible.  The wait continues, but I’m not feeling the customer service love at the moment…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.