Advanced Search

Still Struggling

Recent Forums Main Forum Still Struggling

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Woody
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 7

Hello all, I am still not getting the results I know I should be getting I will say my knife will split hairs its beyond razor sharp I got that part down where I am struggling and know I could get better results is the polish I also need to say if a normal person was to look at it they would be impressed however we all know we are not normal. I was able to get much better results with my polish from another system and no I don’t think that one was better maybe I was just better at that one myself so with all that being said I will go into a little more detail I have and used the lapping films and got decent results still needs improvement but  my issues are with natural water stones I have some extremely high grits that I know I should be doing better with it and it almost seems if my water stones don’t polish the entire bevel only a top portion or a middle portion or the bottom portion but it doesn’t seem to fit to the previous bevel left by the diamonds. I have flattened them and I adjust my angle for the new thicker stones I just don’t get it and understand what I am doing wrong. I am zeroing my angle cube on my base and when I check my angles on the diamonds it is easy because of the magnet but when I get to the water stones it is a bit more challenging does it matter that when checking the angle with the water stones the stone that you have to place your angle cube on is thicker as well I don’t even know if I phrased that in a way anyone can understand however if you have faced the same issues and have an idea or tip that may be helpful then just disregard all my jiberish and let me know your opinion. Thanks!!!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Woody, welcome….I sent you a PM

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

Do everthing you are doing but use black magic marker first and make stone adjustments till you get the whole edge.  If that does not work you may have convex’ed the edge.  If that is the case you live with it and run each stone a slightly different angles to cover the convex OR you go back to a courser grit and reflatten the edge.

I have done both.  I usually use a good angle cube but every now and then I have to run the water stones at some tiny different angle adjustments.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

What stones and grit levels do you use?

And, two points that were already stated:

• if you use natural stones you definitely need an angle adapter, since these stones are usually not the thickness of the stock diamond and ceramic stones. Don’t change the angles during the sharpening process, even though you may be tempted to, since they may be slightly different at the tip compared to the flat part of the edge.
    • as uilleann remarked: use a black marker.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.