Advanced Search

New Knife Database

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I’m saving for some ‘roo strops. Lots of knives, many of them older. When I turn in my “chits”, I’ll include the knife names I’m claiming to decrease any possible confusion.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Bump. 🙂

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

We’re not getting as many knives here as I’d hoped and I’m wondering what’s holding people back. Is it too time consuming to enter them because of all the specs requested? If so, would more people add their knives if we removed the requirement for knife specs and added those in here at the shop after people have put in their settings? I’d love to hear some feedback about it.

-Clay

Martin L
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Clay,
    I think the specs are fine, if not necessary! A good knife database should include all those specs you have listed.
    I just added 4 of my new spydercos I just got.
    The way I do is sharpen a knives and after I accumulate the specs and degrees on a couple, I then come on here and update the database.
    I wouldn’t change anything on it.

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Clay,
    I think the specs are fine, if not necessary! A good knife database should include all those specs you have listed.
    I just added 4 of my new spydercos I just got.
    The way I do is sharpen a knives and after I accumulate the specs and degrees on a couple, I then come on here and update the database.
    I wouldn’t change anything on it.

I’d tend to agree, the database is good as is. I need to go ahead and add my recents. I have been waiting to get some use on the blades before entering but I guess that can be added later if I try different angles/finishes.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I have a few that I haven’t entered yet myself. I think the data base is fine. I put “?” For the specs I can’t find.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Another plus to the knife data base is it backs ups your personal settings (free “on the cloud”). Even though I am a computer nerd I haven’t made my own personal spread sheet to recored my WE settings for each knife. I definitely will do this. But at the moment I am still using scraps of paper to record my settings.

Ultimately it would be great to see multiple entries for the same knife. I would like to see how others with the same knife as me sharpen it, angle, progression, stone choice, etc.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks guys for the feedback and for all the new knife entries over the last couple of days.

-Clay

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Thanks guys for the feedback and for all the new knife entries over the last couple of days.

I guess I’m not the only one that finally got around to adding those I had notes on and hadn’t added yet. I still have a slew of kitchen knives but I’m trying to find out what steel and hardness they are. They aren’t very expensive but might serve to help give a baseline for what the steel will support as a working edge.

Martin L
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Hey Clay,
    Sent you a pm, with this awesome incentive program I know I got up to some level lol just not sure yet.

Geocyclist
    Participant

I just checked the database and 3-4 of mine are not there? How long does it take to enter? Am I doing something wrong? I may be hitting enter after the last field instead of “send” button? I get a red bar saying knife was successfully entered into the database.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I just checked the database and 3-4 of mine are not there? How long does it take to enter? Am I doing something wrong? I may be hitting enter after the last field instead of “send” button? I get a red bar saying knife was successfully entered into the database.

Clay has it set up so he reviews all the entries before they’re approved. Since he’s been out of town (and I imagine the Christmas rush), he’s probably behind.

Geocyclist
    Participant

OK, makes sense, the ones I am missing are the latest entries.

wickededge
    Keymaster

I just got all the latest ones added in. Thank you for contributing!

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant

Thanks Clay.

You way want the web master to change the red bar that comes up saying “Your knife was successfully added….” to something like, “Your knife was successfully added…….It will appear once approved by the web admin….” At least to avoid others asking same question.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.