Advanced Search

New From Michigan

Recent Forums Main Forum New From Michigan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BBBYpsi
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 16

First of all I want to say hi to everyone, I have a question on what most would think. I just purchased the wicked edge sport & field pro. It comes with 100/200,400/600 & 800/1000 grit stones & purchased the 3.5 & 5 microne stops with it. I mostly will be doing fillet knives for cleaning fish. I have never sharpened a knife in my life & looking forward to getting really super sharp knives to clean these fish I catch on the great lakes. Please all suggestion’s will be taken in. I know there is a learning curve & a break in for the stones. Which stones you think would be good for these fillet knives. I was thinking 400/600 & 800/1000 should be fine for them. how many strokes for each side should I be doing with each stone?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, BBBYpsi !

It would be helpful if you could post a photo, write a description or post a “Link to a website describing the knives so we can know what you’re dealing with.  Thanks and Welcome to our Forum.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

BBBYpsi
    Participant

Mostly Bubba Blades. They went dull really fast. On their site they say 22-25 degrees to sharpen them. I also have a few Knives Of Alaska made of 440c stainless steel with a rockwell hardness of 57-60 rating & bevel is 13-18 degrees. I bought the fishermans combo & thinking of getting a few other of their knives.   Link for Knives of Alaska  http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=41&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D32    Link for Bubba Blades I Have 9 inch stiffie,flex & tapered flex & 7 inch tapered flex   https://www.bubbablade.com/pages/recommended-maintenance

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! I think you made a good choice, also with the stones. I think fish will benefit from a pretty refined knife, so personally, I’d add the 1500 grit stone as well. And if you want to go even more refined, you can use the lapping films.

I don’t know these knives, but 22-25 degrees seems pretty wide to me. I would experiment with some steeper angles (say, 18). If it doesn’t work, you can always make them wider again. Success with your knives and don’t hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    matlocc
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 10

Where in Michigan are you? I am in Bay City. Be aware that your first couple knives the stones will be breaking in and not sharpen as well as they will later.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Replies: 408

They went dull really fast. On their site they say 22-25 degrees to sharpen them

Welcome sir, I to live in MI and sharpen quite a few fillet knives. The stones you have will do a good job after they break in. With fillet knives go slow and support the blade with your off hand because of the flexibility of the blade, light pressure. The fillet knives take me more time for that reason.

The angle of 22-25 degrees is not a good angle for these knives, in my opinion, or most other knives for that matter. I sharpen most fillet knives knives between 13 and 15 degrees. When your angle gets that obtuse (22-25 deg.) there is a lot of metal right behind the edge and will dull very quickly. It didn’t sound right to me at the start but a 15 deg. angle with stay useful longer on most knives than a 25 angle. Try backing that angle down to at least 15- 17 deg. and see if you don’t find the same thing.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    BBBYpsi
    Participant

I live in Ypsilanti hence the last part of my handle.

BBBYpsi
    Participant

I also thought those bubba blades would be 15-17 degrees but their web site says 22-25. The knives of Alaska do say 13-18 degrees. Where do you catch your fish to use your fillet knives. I mostly fish Erie Monroe area. Other places this year Muskegon,Wheately ON, Erieau ON

sksharp
    Participant
    • Replies: 408

I also thought those bubba blades would be 15-17 degrees but their web site says 22-25. The knives of Alaska do say 13-18 degrees. Where do you catch your fish to use your fillet knives. I mostly fish Erie Monroe area. Other places this year Muskegon,Wheately ON, Erieau ON

Sorry it took so long to reply, I fish inland lakes in the central lower peninsula, bass and pan-fish, but mostly walleye out of Au gres with my brother when I get time to go over there. It’s a 2 hour drive for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.