Advanced Search

zdp-189 questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Steel zdp-189 questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James Bare
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

I bought a spyderco stretch with a zdp-189 blade and wondering what everyone’s experiences are with the steel. I know it is supposed to hold an edge well and be tough to sharpen, what about corrosion resistance? Is it brittle with the high rc, does it have a tendency to chip when sharpening?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’ve carried Kershaw ZDP blades… never had an issue using or sharpening. I don’t think Spyderco will let you down. :woohoo:

Edit: I should add you can sometimes have a tenacious burr that in use can make you think you have a chipped edge, so something to watch for.

James Bare
    Participant

I have a hard time getting burrs off 154 and d2 sometimes so it sounds like I may be in for some fun.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Here is a good thread on ZDP 189:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/694270-ZDP-189-Best-blade-steel-so-far

I have several knives in ZDP 189 and I like the steel. It takes a nice edge and keeps it for a long time.
    I have not had any problems with corrosion or chipping, but the knives have not seen hard use nor cut acidic foods.
    I have never had any problems getting them sharp on the WEPS. I have a Caly 3 with ZDP core in my pocket now. It is sharpened 15 degrees per side, just for reference.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I’d like to see a picture of this Caly 2 what is it clad with ?
    It sounds quite something I have a knife which is a core of ZP189 clad with ATS34.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Sorry.. I meant “Caly” 3 (Short for Calypso)

I did not listen to the video… but he has some good pictures of the blade.

Blade Steel: Laminated ZDP-189 / 420J2

So it has a ZDP-189 core between two layers of 420J2 stainless.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=298

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Good looking little knife.

James Bare
    Participant

Thanks for the replies, so far all I have done is lightly go over it with the 5 and 3.5 leather strops at 15 a side. I could feel a few rough spots on the edge when I got it and that took care of them. I have noticed it looks like small small little chips with the naked eye but I don’t feel them and it sure doesn’t affect the cutting any.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.