Advanced Search

your unboxing experience?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat your unboxing experience?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Scott,

It’s kind of a legacy piece that is designed to help stabilize a flexible blade. The idea is that you, place the rod in the small hole on the far top side of the blue base, set the spine of the knife, near the tip in the slot at the top of the rod to minimize blade deflection. It only works for a few knives that are thin enough to fit in the slot and are flexible enough to need the additional support. It’s not tall enough to be useful if the riser is installed.

There is a 4″ long steel rod which is slotted and beveled on one side and fits in a hole in the riser base, but I can not figure out what it is or what it is used for. Can someone help me identify what this is? I haven’t seen it in any Youtube demos. Just wondered. It doesn’t seem to have a function I can identify.

Thanks
    Scott

-Clay

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

Thanks Clay, mystery solved.

D K
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 22

I thought I would share my wicked edge experience! I received my wicked edge pp2 upgrades last night after 2 months of waiting. As I expected it was totally worth it. I only had a chance to sharpen two knives but the arms are smooth as butter and the ability to precisely control the degrees of the paddles are fantastic. I feel that clay and company are constantly resetting the bar for the sharpening industry. Thank you guys so much for all that you have done and continue to do. I am excited to be a continually stoked customer. Thanks!!!!

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Hi All,
    I received my PP2 yesterday, but was not able to unbox until late evening. I was pretty impatient to get to my new toy…
    So, everything came in 2 boxes.
    Box 1 had the granite base (very nice), and taped to one of the card board corner protectors was the rubber base risers and the attachment screws.
    Box 1 was very well packaged; I’d be shocked if UPS could damage one unless it was dropped from space.

Box 2 had all the parts, nicely boxed.

So a few thoughts on some things I thought were missing or can be improved.

A packing list would be great, to check that all parts arrived etc. I believe a basic one is available on the details page for the PP2 on the website. But it does not list screws etc.

Clear assembly instructions. There really aren’t any on the WE website, for the PP1, or PP2. They can be found on YouTube, but that seems silly.

And a bonus extra goodie…my order came with a ‘Currency Detecting With LED Microscope 60X’. Nice touch…but it has no instructions on how they intended it to be used to detect counterfeits. Now this is not a complaint, I just feel left out as this is obviously a cheap Chinese tool, and the box is amusing to read, so imagine how fun the instructions would be…

So in all, I think an immediate fix is to add an errata sheet with the order saying where the instructions can be found, and on it can be a parts list for the PP2. So a single photocopied page could avert some questions.

And put an assembly video on the WE website. Heck, I’d imagine it exists already; all you need to do is ask the poster if you can link it.

So far, so good. Hopefully today I get more time to play with it.

wickededge
    Keymaster

So a few thoughts on some things I thought were missing or can be improved.

A packing list would be great, to check that all parts arrived etc. I believe a basic one is available on the details page for the PP2 on the website. But it does not list screws etc.

Clear assembly instructions. There really aren’t any on the WE website, for the PP1, or PP2. They can be found on YouTube, but that seems silly.

Thank you for the suggestion, will do!

And a bonus extra goodie…my order came with a ‘Currency Detecting With LED Microscope 60X’. Nice touch…but it has no instructions on how they intended it to be used to detect counterfeits. Now this is not a complaint, I just feel left out as this is obviously a cheap Chinese tool, and the box is amusing to read, so imagine how fun the instructions would be…

For a cheap little tool, it’s awesome for checking your edges. I’ve tested pretty much every single lighted loupe I could get my hands on and this one is by far the easiest and clearest for knife edge inspection.

And put an assembly video on the WE website. Heck, I’d imagine it exists already; all you need to do is ask the poster if you can link it.

So far, so good. Hopefully today I get more time to play with it.

I’ll be putting together a couple of PP2 videos in the next few days and posting them. Thanks again for the suggestions. I hope you get lots of time to put it to use. Please remember to withhold judgement on your results until your diamond plates have had a chance to break in. The difference in results from new and broken in stones is night and day.

-Clay

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

I think it might be time to start putting together a Pro Pack 3 to include all the parts in the PP2 but also the granite base, the 50-80 grit stones the Super Fine Ceramics, Kangaroo Strops with .025 micron paste and maybe a microscope. I think demand is building to have the whole set.

Fred Hermann
    Participant

PP3? *faints*

Ok, Clay, thank you.
    I do like the little microscope, and it might be worth posting them for sale on the WE website.

A suggestion on Parts Lists….
    Make a default one for each set (in Word or whatever) with checkboxes, nice logo at the top, and the link to assembly instructions.
    You can make various default versions of this, and just print one for each order going out. Very low cost, and easy to update.

I say this because from a business stand point, the fewer questions that need a human answering them, is time saved for other duties. So easy documentation is worth its weight in gold.

And believe me, I won’t whine about the stones pre/post break in. I’ve been using a Lansky kit for years, understand stone break in, and I just can’t imagine the Landsky working perfectly is equal to a WE by a newbie.

I’m pretty excited about this…
    Now to escape

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hey Fred, before the WE100s came pre-assembled, we used to ship this form in the box: Packing List and Assembly Instructions. I’m guessing this is what you have in mind for each of the kits. Yes?

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Yes indeed!
    Just add the new bits and pieces, and a link (once you’re happy with your video)
    I like it…

Fred Hermann
    Participant

So a new question. Maybe I’m missing something, but I think I have a defective part, OR….
    My feeble attempts at assembly are feeble….

So let me describe my delimma:

The stock propack comes preassembled, adding the riser in the PP2 you also add a new base rod.
    Logically the new base rod would be attached the same. This would mean it has 2 tapped holes, matching the old bar.
    Mine doesn’t.
    So is there a different way to attach all this?
    Am I missing something?

I’ve dug a bit on youtube, and I’m just not finding someone assembling one of these with the new base rod to compare.

Any help would be appreciated.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Good question. There is only one through-screw that goes all the way through the degree bar, riser and into the fixed vise jaw. Remove the through-screw which will release the vise jaws and set the riser on the base with the through-holes aligned, push the included long through screw through and re-attach the fixed vise jaw.

So a new question. Maybe I’m missing something, but I think I have a defective part, OR….
    My feeble attempts at assembly are feeble….

So let me describe my delimma:

The stock propack comes preassembled, adding the riser in the PP2 you also add a new base rod.
    Logically the new base rod would be attached the same. This would mean it has 2 tapped holes, matching the old bar.
    Mine doesn’t.
    So is there a different way to attach all this?
    Am I missing something?

I’ve dug a bit on youtube, and I’m just not finding someone assembling one of these with the new base rod to compare.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Here’s a pic of the rods.
    The short one is from the WE 1.
    The longer is from the PP2.
    Is this right?

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Okay, that’s not good! We’ll get one overnighted to you first thing in the morning.

Here’s a pic of the rods.
    The short one is from the WE 1.
    The longer is from the PP2.
    Is this right?

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Thank you Clay. Once again. I apologize for overposting and being needy. I think I owe you a beer or two.
    On the very positive side, I reassembled as a WE1 and it looks and feels awesome. I do have one more problem though. My wife (she who. must be obeyed) wont let me test on any of the junk kitchen knives. I may be forced to buy a junk one tomorrow…

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Okay, that’s not good!

Poor Clay, I hope this is a “one of”. :unsure:

He can’t be everywhere.

edit – Can someone please tell me how long the new bar is? (in mm)
    Got a feeling it’s going to hang over the edges of my store bought wooden block mount. 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.