Advanced Search

your unboxing experience?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat your unboxing experience?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

So I talked to the WE folks on the phone yesterday. It seems that they are about to start sending out the Pro Packs and upgrades to folks who have been waiting for all the little improvements that have been delaying them. I expect that there will be a lot of folks who have put off making the purchase to see what was rolling out and if it is as good as what has been anticipated and discussed.

I must be away for a bit so I asked WE to hold my Pro Pack 2 for me for an additional week before sending it. In the mean time, I must say, I am very anxious to see it.

For those of you who are or will soon be receiving your new or upgraded WEP system, it would be great if you could rip off an unboxing experience using your new iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy or what every you use to make videos or photos and post them here or on YouTube with a link, that would be outstanding.

I expect that once these new systems start arriving, there will be both good and bad experiences. Let’s start some discussion of the good and bad experiences so we can either mutually enjoy our new stuff or if there is a problem that emerges, we can get it resolved together.

Thanks for participating.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Great idea! 😆

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I love the idea. Hopefully there won’t be too many bad experiences! 🙂 Still, that’s how we learn and hopefully everyone knows that if there is a problem, we will make it right.

-Clay

Charles Rich
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 16

I fully intend on documenting my experience with WE on film and uploading it to Youtube. I don’t have much experience editing video; audio is my gig. I can try though 🙂

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I was too excited to get my WE kit that I never even thought of doing an unboxing and setup video. That’s a cool idea, I’m sure someone will take it and run! I hope to see some great experiences like mine, and hopefully add those snazzy ball joint arms to my kit soon too 🙂

Scott
    Participant

So my UPS truck finally arrived, but not until about 6 PM on Friday. Wouldn’t you know it, just as we were about to sit down to dinner. Well, it came in two boxes, both of which were filled with smaller boxes and plastic containers and lots and lots of packing material. So I couldn’t really get into unboxing it entirely and putting it together until after dinner and clean up. So, it’s now Saturday morning and I can take a few moments to give you some first impressions that may be interesting and helpful to some. I won’t have time right now to use it because I need to go to the store to get some feet for it first, so this is just a first impression.

WE did a very nice job of packing I must say and there is packing paper and boxes everywhere in my living room at the moment. Looks a bit like Christmas morning. My first impressions are that this system is very well thought out on most levels and impressive in fit and finish. I really like the weight and feel of the stones and strops. Very nice. Everything I ordered except for the curved stones which I was told were on back order was delivered and intact. That’s the good.

So was it all good, well no such luck. A couple of issues, easily fixed but inconvenient have emerged. First, I upgraded to a black a granite base when I ordered, which I was assured was in stock and would be available for my order. In fact, Kay told me that she would set one aside for me so that it would be the one that shipped. Well, I was not very happy to see that they sent me a sort of reddish brown granite base, I really hate this color of granite, but that is just me. So I am going to ask that it be replaced with the one I actually purchased. I hate to do that because it is going to be expensive and inconvenient for both me and WE,but I really did not want a red stone and was very specific in my phone order about this detail. I hope that this serves as a lesson to pay closer attention to detail when filling these boxes for shipping. This was a disappointment. Also speaking of the base, There were a couple of other issues. First, the holes are not inset for the screw heads and washers, so they stick out of the holes about an eighth or quarter inch. The problem is that you now need to raise the base evenly on all four corners at least that much so it isn’t wobbling like a teeter totter. That means a special trip to the hardware store to get some leveling feet or pads to put under the base before I can use it. I did not see any such feet or pads in the box. A definite problem that should be addressed by WE.

One other observation which I think has already been addressed in other posts but worth mentioning again perhaps for discussion. I purchased a Pro Pack 2 which includes the upgraded ball joint arms and the upgraded sliding bar which arrived and were very nicely finished and seem quite functional. Although I can not use them yet since I have to go to the hardware store to buy something to set the base on so i can not say if they work but I am confident they will. They look really nice.

Which leads me to my sort of complaint. When I unboxed my new WEPS, it included two sets of arms and two sliding bars, the new ones and the old ones (pre ball joint and riser generation). This seems wasteful and an unnecessary expense which must be passed on to me the consumer. I think it is safe to say that I will never have a need for the old bar and arms for any reason. So I paid for something I really did not need or want. At this time, you can not just buy the more expensive ball joint arms alone. Had I bought the first generation and upgraded later, that would be different, but to include both on the initial purchase of the upgraded model seems wasteful.

One other little thing, a bit nit picky but you can decide that for yourself. There were syringes with about a ml of diamond paste drawn up into it. But in each one there is a bubble of air which means that it is less than a milliliter of material and the plunger was not even at the 1 ml mark on at least one. I think there is enough paste to do a lot of stropping, but we are talking about very small amounts, so there needs to be a bit more precision in drawing up the paste either without air bubbles or past the one ml mark if there is air in the tube to at least err on the side of more than less if there is to be error there.

So those are my little quibbles. Having said that, I really like the system. It looks very nice (except the base) and well made and durable. The stones and strops looked very precision made and I really look forward to using them. I can not say much about the usability yet so I will post more later. Hope you are enjoying your unboxing and purchase experience. Despite my small complaints, I am very happy with WE and look forward to hearing your experience.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

First, the holes are not inset for the screw heads and washers, so they stick out of the holes about an eighth or quarter inch. The problem is that you now need to raise the base evenly on all four corners at least that much so it isn’t wobbling like a teeter totter. That means a special trip to the hardware store to get some leveling feet or pads to put under the base before I can use it. I did not see any such feet or pads in the box. A definite problem that should be addressed by WE.

Bummer about the base. Thought I’d mention this… the base does (should) 😉 come with four little “feet”, so mention this when you contact them.

Which leads me to my sort of complaint. When I unboxed my new WEPS, it included two sets of arms and two sliding bars, the new ones and the old ones (pre ball joint and riser generation). This seems wasteful and an unnecessary expense which must be passed on to me the consumer. I think it is safe to say that I will never have a need for the old bar and arms for any reason. So I paid for something I really did not need or want. At this time, you can not just buy the more expensive ball joint arms alone. Had I bought the first generation and upgraded later, that would be different, but to include both on the initial purchase of the upgraded model seems wasteful.

I’ll also mention this issue. Since, for now at least, the arms are an upgrade, I think it would bring up a number of issues to simply replace one set of arms for the other… which is why both are included. Keep in mind that we’re the minority that want them, the majority buy the stock kit, and it’s prepackaged this way. From a dealer standpoint, to try and sell what would be come another “package”… (a basic kit, minus the standard arms with the addition of the upgrade arms), wouldn’t save them much if any money, which would translate to little savings to the buyer. To simply eliminate the 1st version, and just use the new arms would be a higher initial cost, that could also be detrimental for business, or at least has to be considered. It may seem wasteful to the end user, but I think there’s a bit more to it, then just removing the original arms and taking a couple bucks off.

Hopefully, you’ll soon be on your way to sharp knives! :woohoo: Keep us posted!

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Keep in mind that we’re the minority that want them, the majority buy the stock kit,

That’s a brave statement, I’m guessing the majority “want” the ball joint arms.
    Perhaps most simply can’t afford them?

Considering the ball joint arms were included with the system that won the 2012 accessory of the year.
    http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109:blade-show-and-international-cutlery-fair-2012-accessory-of-the-year&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=62

This is where a lot of the increased demand and attention is coming from.

If I was Clay I would love to be able to afford to throw “all” the old arms in the bin.
    But economics wont allow this and I’m sure there are too many still in supply.

Scott
    Participant

I think I’m going with Chris here. Progress = change and I think the knife collecting community are pretty OCD and for better or worse a bit more critical than the general population. Whether it costs more or not to put “extra” arms and rails in the package, the perception will be almost impossible to change. I think Clay is going to eventually have to change his packaging to include one or the other set of arms / rail. Why put off the inevitable. I look at these things and wonder who exactly is paying for them. I want WE to be profitable so that they will be there for me when I need (read want) them. I don’t even mind paying premium prices when I could do what I need for a tiny fraction of what this system costs with another sharpener if I think I am getting outstanding product and customer service. So far I do, but premium prices also give me license to be more critical and scrutinize the products I am paying for. Money is not just paper, I had to work very hard to get what I am giving to Clay for these things.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I agree with both of you… that’s why I said “for now”. 🙂

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Progress = change and I think the knife collecting community are pretty OCD and for better or worse a bit more critical than the general population.

I would say, finer detail and quality are very important.
    I must admit I was surprised at the replies I received here when I was critical of the loose joints in the old arms.
    There is no way I would ever use them again once I had the ball joint arms.
    Perhaps it’s simply a packaging issue for now?

Whether it costs more or not to put “extra” arms and rails in the package, the perception will be almost impossible to change. I think Clay is going to eventually have to change his packaging to include one or the other set of arms / rail.

I’m sure in time he will, for now they have to get out the door.

Why put off the inevitable.

Time and cost.

I look at these things and wonder who exactly is paying for them. I want WE to be profitable so that they will be there for me when I need (read want) them. I don’t even mind paying premium prices when I could do what I need for a tiny fraction of what this system costs with another sharpener if I think I am getting outstanding product and customer service. So far I do, but premium prices also give me license to be more critical and scrutinize the products I am paying for. Money is not just paper, I had to work very hard to get what I am giving to Clay for these things.

Basically the harsh reality is, you don’t have to buy it Scott.
    While the demand is super strong any sane person wouldn’t be looking to discount his product at this stage.
    edit – But I agree, it’s a premium product and definitely not a cheap item.
    I have expectations also.

This is something that will sell easily world wide, it appeals to a limited demographic but on a world wide scale it’s enough to keep Clay busy for a fair while.
    edit – Wait until the Chinese get a copy onto ebay, then you know you have made the big time. 😉

Back on the “best seller” topic, reading this quote from Clay.
    http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=443&category_id=72&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=93
    “The Wicked Edge Precision Sharpeners that are a part of the Pro Pack I are in very high demand since Wicked Edge won Accessory of the Year at the 2012 Blade Show”

And the Pro Pack I doesn’t include the same parts (mainly the arms) as the winning system does. 😉

Anyway my new arms haven’t even left the US yet. 🙁
    Possibly another three weeks before I get to touch them.

Scott
    Participant

Okay I’m back from the hardware store with my leveling pads for the bottom of the granite base. I looked through every single piece of packing and boxes and there were no feet anywhere in the contents. So minor set back, but i would now like to share some early user experience feedback.

I need to qualify my remarks to give a bit of perspective. I am a total, complete novice and have very limited experience sharpening knives. Previously I used a Magic Chef electric knife sharpener which was convenient, easy and made my kitchen knives cut better than they did after being dulled through normal kitchen use. This is basically an electric motor turning a sharpening stone that scraped the knife edges when you draw the knife through a slot in two stages, a sharpener and a honing wheel.

So now after collecting a number of pretty expensive knives in the $100 to $400 range, I decided that i needed to get a little more in touch with my collection. I didn’t want to use my Magic Chef because it left a pretty toothy (albeit effective cutting edge). I saw all the very pretty mirror edges others had achieved and decided that my knives would look pretty cool with that finishing touch.

I looked at a bunch of other sharpeners on line, since there is no place near me that I could go to compare and shop for a good knife sharpener. There were plenty of selections, but long story short, I liked the WE system the best. So I bit the bullet and spent a ton of money to buy into it. I must say a difficult decision because I am retired and could have for example bought a nice HD, 3D flat screen tv for what I paid for my PP2 and additional strops and ceramics.

Which brings me to the point. I bought an inexpensive knife similar in size and shape from Amazon, there are tons to chose from. for about 10 bucks or so. Today for the first time, i finally have my new PP2 assembled and ready for use. So here are some first impressions and observations from someone who really has too much time on his hands. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Before you get going, evaluate your workspace. There will be some significant very fine dust, so if you are using your office desk next to your computer and external hard drives consider covering them and also, it is imperative that you have very good lighting beyond just the lights in your ceiling. I recommend a good goose neck desk lamp that can be moved and focused easily on your blade and able to move and focus from one side to the other. Also bring everything you will need so you don’t have to keep getting up to go get stuff, that gets old fast.

I first took a metal file to the edge of my test knife to dull it past dull into abuse. Next I taped the non cutting edge and mounted it according to instructions. It’s a bit harder to level it on top of the two insert posts than it looks online. since the swedge and curve on the non cutting side made it uneven but with a bit of practice you can get it pretty close. Next, I unpacked my shiny new stones starting at 100 and put them on the guide rods. This is pretty intimidating because there is a lot to take in I spent so much time watching YouTube demos, I felt a bit of pressure to remember all the little tricks and hints and rules and directions. So, I just took a deep breath and dove in. Once you take the first few strokes it becomes really fun and I would be amazed if you are not smiling broadly at how cool this thing is.

But I am getting a bit ahead. I think the factory edge on my test knife was about 20 degrees per side. So I decided to try a steeper angle just to see how fast the 100 grit would cut steel. It is pretty amazing what a big difference there is between 18 degrees and 20 degrees. At this point magic marker is your friend. Use it as you experiment to see where on the edge your stones are cutting. The size of the bevel is much greater at 18 degrees, I mean a lot. Not a big deal if you are just sharpening old kitchen knifes and don’t care how they look, but if you are cutting a $400 CRK for example, you can seriously change the look of your knife blade if you use too steep an angle. So don’t go anywhere near your good knives until you have tested this thing.

It took a lot more strokes than I thought it would to re-profile a blade even though it was a new stone which cuts much faster than a broken in one. You can hear the difference as the stone begins to break in. You will know what I mean when you try it. It did change the angle and bevel but a few hundred strokes later I was still not getting the bur on one side that I needed to move to the next stone. To me that bur is not as easy to feel as I thought it might be. It’s pretty tiny. So IF you are going to be re-profiling, especially hard steel, it might be a good investment to get get the 50-80 grit stones available, but the 100 will work if you are not in a hurry.

So, I decided I didn’t really need to re-profile this knife at this time and I was more interested in seeing how sharp I could make it. So I switched to a 20 degree angle. Well, to answer the question… how sharp can I make it. The answer is very sharp. At some point the blade was so sharp that when I starred at it for too long my eyes started bleeding. (I joke). Actually, it’s not that simple. As I progressed from one set of stones to the next more fine set, I could see the scrape pattern or toothy pattern start to change and become smoother until you get a bur for the first time and sharpen the opposite side so the apex is exact. It gets very, very sharp. I mean you could cut toilet paper sharp. But there is a sort of bell curve of sharpness. As you move from the toothy sharpness of the PP1 set of stones to the PP2 set your blade gets more mirror and less toothy which makes it less effective at cutting some things like paper. It is an interesting trade off and you can still have the mirror and the toothy edge but that is another discussion for another place.

So as I began to go through the different grits, I began to wonder, when to move to the next grit stone? In other words had the current grit done as much as it could do or should. I keep going with the same stone so I don’t use a finer grit to try to take off more metal than it is intended or designed to. Not sure if that makes sense, but it seems like there is no good answer. I guess this is one of those intuitive things that just comes with experience. However, having said that, this sharpener is pretty much fool proof. I mean, if I could bring my knife to a push cut sharpness and then to a mirror finish on the first attempt from a damaged blade, trust my you can. More importantly, it was fun. I mean really fun. I brought a cup of coffee with me, I love my morning coffee. But, I forgot all about it and it got cold because I was so distracted by sharpening. It is more fun because the learning curve is almost nonexistent. There was none of the frustration of screwing it up and having to start over. It’s easy and fun. One thing I found out, especially at the end when you are going for finesse and appearance, past just sharpening is to not muscle the stones. Really, just let the weight of the stone do it. Kind of like brushing your teeth.

So is it better than a new 3D HD flat screen, I think so. It is certainly more rewarding and I like working with my hands, plus I already have tv’s all around the house, so not such a big deal for me. Do I have buyers remorse, now that I have seen it and put it through it’s paces. Not at all. I really love this thing. Do I recommend it, a resounding YES. It is very expensive for what it is, but when you actually use it, you will see that there is a lot of precision design and manufacturing that had to come together. This is a very refined product and will continue to be in high demand, ( IMHO ).

There is probably more I could say, but this is already too long so for now, I will sign off and let others add their observations as they open their new WEPS and try them out for the first time. Good luck and as someone else here often says, stay sharp. (I like that). :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: 🙂 🙂 🙂

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Scott
    You think you love the WEPS now, wait awhile! You will be ecstatic. It is a very cleverly made rig and now with the new arms, ever so precise. Welcome to the club of happy sharpeners.

Cheers
    Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

You guys are right that it would be awesome to drop the old arms entirely because the new ones are so nice. It would also be great to omit the old ones from the Pro-Pack II now. The thing is that we are using sharpeners we already have in stock to create the Pro-Pack II and it would actually add cost at this point to disassemble them, change the packaging and reassemble them. Eventually, we will design new packaging and have a batch of sharpeners made without the shorter degree bar and old guide rod assemblies, but we’re still a small enough company that those kinds of changes have to be incremental. Re-doing the packaging is a big and expensive project and starting another run of sharpeners is too, so we won’t be able to do it right away. I don’t know if we’ll ever get rid of the old joint entirely, we’ll probably just work to include the modification with future runs and work with the factory to tighten up the tolerances with the parts. The original joints work really well, especially when they’re nice and tight. The cost increase to include the new joints with all kits would be significant and I believe it would put the sharpener out of reach for a lot of people. I think of it kind of like having two car models, one with a standard motor and the other turbo-charged, though with the sharpener, you can upgrade to turbo-charged whenever your budget allows, not so easy to do with a car.

-Clay

Scott
    Participant

There is a 4″ long steel rod which is slotted and beveled on one side and fits in a hole in the riser base, but I can not figure out what it is or what it is used for. Can someone help me identify what this is? I haven’t seen it in any Youtube demos. Just wondered. It doesn’t seem to have a function I can identify.

Thanks
    Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.