Advanced Search

Wusthof Bevel Angles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I don’t believe it but Wusthof Trident of America, Inc. responded to my email request. This is what they sent me:

Please see below for the sharpening angles for our non-forged knives:

Santoku – 22 degrees
    Fillet Knife – 27 degrees
    Peeling Knife – 32 degrees
    Paring Knife – 32 degrees
    Kitchen/Utility Knife – 32 degrees
    Carving Knife – 32 degrees
    Steak Knife – 32 degrees
    Cook’s Knife – 28 degrees
    Boning Knife – 40 degrees

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I don’t believe it but Wusthof Trident of America, Inc. responded to my email request. This is what they sent me:

Please see below for the sharpening angles for our non-forged knives:

Santoku – 22 degrees
    Fillet Knife – 27 degrees
    Peeling Knife – 32 degrees
    Paring Knife – 32 degrees
    Kitchen/Utility Knife – 32 degrees
    Carving Knife – 32 degrees
    Steak Knife – 32 degrees
    Cook’s Knife – 28 degrees
    Boning Knife – 40 degrees

These must be included angles.

-Clay

Marc H

I do agree with you. I emailed them back to get that clarified.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks Marc.

Hard to believe the Santuko is 11 dps. The other seem about right for included angles. I would have figured about 4 to 6 degree more.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hard to believe the Santuko is 11 dps. The other seem about right for included angles. I would have figured about 4 to 6 degree more.

Yes, I find these angles difficult to comprehend both when they’re included or per side. A Santoku at 11 dps per side… 22 sounds more appropriate for “normal”, quite soft, German steel. But then, a boning knife at 40 dps wouldn’t cut… But 20 dps seems too low for a boning knife of soft steel…

Intriguing… I am curious what Wusthoff writes back.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Yes, I find these angles difficult to comprehend both when they’re included or per side. A Santoku at 11 dps per side… 22 sounds more appropriate for “normal”, quite soft, German steel. But then, a boning knife at 40 dps wouldn’t cut… But 20 dps seems too low for a boning knife of soft steel…

Intriguing… I am curious what Wusthoff writes back.[/quote]

I’ve been puzzling over the same things. It doesn’t make sense.

-Clay

Marc H

I heard Back from Wusthof.
    They say:
    The degrees that I provided are inclusive, so please divide each in half to determine the degrees per side.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

[Quote]
    The degrees that I provided are inclusive, so please divide each in half to determine the degrees per side. [/quote]

What Wusthofs are they? Or what steel are they made of?

I know Zwilling recently introduced a new series, Miyabi, that are way different from their normal series. I forgot what steel these new knives are made of, but iirc it was a very good steel hardened to HRC 64 or so.

The angles you mention would be more appropriate for such knives. (Although I don’t want a boning knife of HRC 64…)

Marc H

My Wusthofs are mostly Silverpoint Series. I don’t know the steel on them. I also have three Wusthof Dreizack that are labeled X50 Cr Mo 15. The Dreizack I believe were manufactured for the Europe Market. They look like they may be the same steel.

From the numbers they sent me, it looks like the list is mixed DPS and Inclusive.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

My Wusthofs are mostly Silverpoint Series. I don’t know the steel on them. I also have three Wusthof Dreizack that are labeled X50 Cr Mo 15. The Dreizack I believe were manufactured for the Europe Market. They look like they may be the same steel.

I think so. X50CrMo15 is a very normal German steel, usually quite soft, HRC 54 or so. I wouldn’t put an angle lower than 20 degrees per side for the “normal” knives, chef’s knives, Santokus and so on. Probsbly 25 to 30 per side on the boning knife.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Personally, I am very surprised at these inclusive angles.
    I run them generally in the 20 range per side.

I sharpen a lot of Wusthofs but they have all been used, even my own.

Interesting test for the board if anyone has a new one, say a classic, or gets one from a customer, or buys own.

If anyone gets their mitts on a new one from factory, if they have the chance, drop it in the WEPS and do an angle test.
    Would be interesting to see that we find.
    I’ll try to snag one if I see one on sale …. have too many kitchen knives already but the disease is the disease and if the price is right and can use a new boner …. may grab one myself, or whatever I find cheap shopping.

Would be curious and helpful to all I’m sure.
    A cook’s/chef’s knife with standard German steel at 14 DPS … my gut says it would cut like a demon, but can’t see that edge lasting. Also would say I’d be weary working it hard.

Just my 2 cents

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I have a set of Classic Ikon’s. I have sharpened all of them (9″ chef, 6″ santuko, 6″ parking, 4.5″ pairing) so I didn’t record the exact factory angle. Best I can remember they were all around 20 dps give or take 2 degrees. The santuko was less than 20.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

What is everyone’s take on the Sandoku 22 degree inclusive that was suggested years back.  Was there ever a conclusive decision made?  Seems to me that the edge would be  extremely effective when cutting fish and vegetables but you’d have to refrain from most anything else.

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Perhaps these are included angles of a secondary bevel upon which a small or micro apex bevel is formed?  That would make sense for machine sharpened knives I think, as in videos I’ve seen there is usually a edge grinding operation, then final sharpening is done separately.

By edge grinding I mean things like this, but not always hollow.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mr.Wizard.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Great video, thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.