Advanced Search

WTS: Black Arkansas Stone Set for W.E.

Recent Forums Main Forum Pass Around and Buy / Sell / Trade Want to Sell WTS: Black Arkansas Stone Set for W.E.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MarcH
    • Topics: 68
    • Replies: 2574

I have a 5K/10K set of Black Arkansas stones mounted on “old style” Wicked Edge handles that I’d like to sell.  The stones are new, never used.  I thought I’d like to use them and never did get to them.  I followed the fork in the rabbit hole to whetstones where I play mostly these days.

The 5K is from Bethesda, AR and the 10K is labeled Dota Creek, AR.  I believe these stones should be used with honing oil.

I’m asking $150 OBO.  PM if interested

Arkansas-Stones-for-W.E.
    Arkansas-Stones-source
    Arkansas-Stone-faces
    Arkansas-Stones-other-side

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 91

I use “Food Grade Mineral Oil” on all of my “Arkansas Stones” that I have mounted on Wicked Edge paddles.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MarcH

Do the Arkansas Stones work well for you? Any differences or advantages compared to the regular W.E. diamond stones?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 339

Hey Marc, do these old handles fit the fatter current gen rods?

MarcH

I just put a caliper to the handle bore holes 0.262″ and 0.264″ so I would say the hole size is essentially the same.  Yes, they can be used with the newer style guide rods. They feel the same. The improvement in tolerance recognized by stone slop reduction is realized with both paddle styles.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Dwight Glass
    Participant

MarkH

The question (Do the Arkansas Stones work well for you? Any differences or advantages compared to the regular W.E. diamond stones).

the Arkansas Stones are solid natural brittle.  I have had one brake that was Soft Arkansas and it was the same thickness as the diamond stones.

I have never had a “Black Arkansas” break yet on the wicked Edge paddle yet.

The Arkansas Stones need to be flattened, the softer the stone the faster the wear, “Black Arkansas” Stones are really tough and wear real slow.

I get a lot of grit size choice with Wicked Edge Diamond Stones and you can use them dry.

“Black Arkansas” Stones give you a very fine, not toothy, smooth edge, the stone can be flattened  and should be used wet.

When I Flatten my Arkansas Stones I use 320 Grit, wet dry sand paper like what is used in ‘Car Body Shops” Glued To Granite or Something flat, wet, not real wet, just moist.

Dwight

Dwight Glass
    Participant

Yes “Arkansas Stones” work well for me.

MarcH

Sold

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘WTS: Black Arkansas Stone Set for W.E.’ is closed to new replies.