Advanced Search

Wisconsin Here

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Wisconsin Here

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brently White
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

I ordered my WE PP1 a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for the order to ship. Should ship now that the shot show is done.

I have normally use Arkansas stones by hand to sharpen my knifes. Problem is I am only good at one angle. Good old muscle memory. No matter how hard I try, my hand always reverts to about 25 degrees. I guess that is a good angle for most utility work. I have tried the other rod systems and never really liked them. I saw this one and thought I would give it a try. I did the research and this one seems to be the one folks are raving about.

Since ordering this system, I have gone out and bought several different knives. The reason for the additional knives is I want to test the WE on different steels. So, the steels I have to test so far are 420, 440, D2, S30V, VG-10, 1095, AUS8 and CM154. I also have a whole bunch of kitchen knives that need to be sharpened. Not sure of the steel on them.

I guess the biggest reason I wanted this system is that I am a quality engineer and I have this thing about knowing the inputs that produce the output. I always say show me the data.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey Brently,

Welcome here! You’ll have a good time with your WEPS. I’m not 100% sure the WEPS crew is back this week. Clay mentioned to me he was going to two shows, and I don’t know whether Shot was the first or the second one.

I guess the biggest reason I wanted this system is that I am a quality engineer

That’s the same for me. You won’t be disappointed! I really admire the engineering work that has gone in the WEPS.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Welcome to the WEPS owners club,, and to the forums.
    I think you will love your system. Take some time and read through the forums and check out the WIKI.
    There is a bunch of great info out there to get you started and that deal with most of the challenges you may encounter.

I sharpened by hand with bench stones for lots of years. I still do occasionaly. It is real hard to get the consitently extremely sharp edges by hand that you will get with the WEPS. Any of the steels you mention should take great edges. I have done all of them and have been very happy with the results. I like working with the D2 and AUS8 becuase they sharpen, easily well, and polish beautifully. S30V may take a bit more work, but it is still easy enough on the WEPS. There is a recent thread about the S30, take a look at that when you have time.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions at all. There are lots of good folks here that will be happy to hep you out, or just chat about most anything relating to sharpening.

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum!

The crew should be back… I think the other show was prior to the Shot Show.

To add to the advice already given, take some time to become familiar with the WE before “experimenting”. Stones need a little break in time too.

There’s a Knife Database where you can record your testing, and also see what others have done. Sounds like you’ll be a good candidate to use this. (There’s prizes too!) :woohoo:

Have fun! 🙂

Brently White
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

Got an email today. The WE team is back at the helm. I was told the orders before the shot show should go out this week. If that holds, then I should see my WE PP1 next week.:)

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Welcome aboard, Brently!

As cbw mentioned, first get over the short learning curve on your least valued edges and ask questions if you have them!

Your engineer’s OCD will certainly be met with the WEPS, and please do document your journey for the other perfectionists here. B)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.