Advanced Search

Will’s Mods Part 3 (a)

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Will’s Mods Part 3 (a)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Sorry…my daughter borrowed my camera to shoot pictures of my new grand daughter Leah Amelia Wheeler! :woohoo: Pictures to come later!
    Getting back to the Mods…I couldn’t wait for the camera and anyway we all know what the setup looks like now having seen Will’s excellent video and Eamon’s great setup. I wanted to speak about my first sharpening with this modified rig. WOW!!! I took my wibbly-wobbly cheap Home Hardware special chef’s knife (snicker!)and mounted it. I have to say that honestly I have never had a knife locked in place as solidly as these mods permitted. The only time there was any kind of movement was when applying pressure to raise the burr. But even then, the whole knife was so stable I was able to raise the burr along the whole length and to the edge in jig time. This was astounding for me,because this knife was so flexy it was a nightmare to sharpen. The result surprised me, because I had always scoffed at this knife, but the edge I got was more like I get on my fixed hunting and military knives. Even with the nicks it has in the edge, it slid through paper like a laser. I can’t wait until it is time to chop veggies to see how the edge holds out.
    Any more cons so far? For me speaking as a died-in-the-wool klutz, getting used to using the levers to lock in the angle is slow. I keep on turning the one on the left the wrong way and it loosens then rather than tightens. Poor mechanically challenge Leo! :unsure: Other than that, I have no complaints and believe me I am looking. Sheer genius Will! You and Clay should get together. I believe he has invited you. 🙂
    I am going to do a couple of more knives, longer than this 8 inch one and I will get back with more observations and some final pix.

Cheers
    Leo

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I have a concern about the leavers replacing the keys and it is to do with the amount of torque that can be applied it is that the steel machine screws are threaded into aluminium it should not be a problem so long as care is used a comparison would be screwing a spark plug into a cylinder head again steel going into aluminium threads . I was told and to this day do it that is- finger tight and half a turn is sufficient.
    I mention this since the standard key has been designed to avoid over torquing the screws.
    I use allen keys in preference over the WE key but I use the short part of the key in my hand to avoid over tightening.
    I like the idea of the leavers very much but would suggest care is used since the leverage is potentially quite large.
    I try to set things firmly on the WE but I prefer to be cautious about either applying too much pressure or perhaps worse still is a sort of snatch up motion like a jerk that can increase the torque immensely this is how on a traditionally rigged yacht without winches lines are jerked very tight.
    I am impressed with the modifications and it will definitely speed set up time but I would try to use it gently otherwise I think some aluminium parts will stress and fail if adequate care is not taken.
    I think the knife steadying set up is a great tool all too often on knives getting the primary burr I am supporting the other side of the blade to try to maintain the set angle which is not entirely effective it improves it but does not stop it completely and this leomitch mentions as a vast improvement.
    I should imagine at some time in the future I shall be getting these add ons for my WE.

Leo Nav

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Good point about applying too much torque Leo. You do have to be careful because with the levers it is all too easy to bear down. The trick is to hand adjust the screw initially until it just kisses the angle bar and then add some pressure with the lever to lock in the angle.
    I love that I don’t have to support one side with my hand while drawing up the burr. Will’s support device does a very good job of steadying the process without having to do that. Because of this support it is possible to get a full burr and I believe create a superior edge because the blade is not wobbling around all over the place. I suspect that my custom 10 inch chef’s knife will benefit in the same way but in spades.

Leo

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I think Leo Mav has a good point! As I recall on my first set up? I thought to self, self don’t break this thing. My second wife did not allow me to use the garlic press as I always snapped them trying to crush the cloves. I would be ssooo bummed if I stripped my WE! 😳
    However I still maintain this mod? (if you sharpen a lot) is on the got to have list!!! B)

Leo the ancient, thanks so much for the great set up comment!! It is hard to believe just a couple years ago, I ordered some oil stones in to touch up my roommates horrible knives? Saw the WE on Blade forum and now it looks as if someone feed my WE steroids? :S

I have come up with one more mod and Will is making it for me now. I realized (after the fact) that when I used the low angle adapter that the new support arm is to low? The support actually needs to be 5.00″ tall to keep the knife horizontal.
    In typical Will style he is knocking it out for me now.

Not a Will mod, but to give Clay some credit? The SWAT is also very handy! I have made it a point to use my diamonds, ceramics and Chosera together and I got to tell you the SWAT makes it sssoooo much easier!!! 😛

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Sounds like your rig is being well developed into a super sharpening machine…some really practical mods Eamon. It would be great to see a video with all the mods in place doing their stuff.

Cheers
    Leo the ancient

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I have a concern about the leavers replacing the keys and it is to do with the amount of torque that can be applied it is that the steel machine screws are threaded into aluminium it should not be a problem so long as care is used

Leo Nav

Just a quick note to support your call for care…..

In another thread I also mentioned that at Christmas I was showing my nephew my WE. We sharpened his SOG Twitch II. With the standard knobs, I tightened the left angle knob so tight it stripped out.

(Despite it being obvious user error, Customer Service replaced it for me.)

It’s an industrial strength product; care still need be taken.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Sounds like your rig is being well developed into a super sharpening machine…some really practical mods Eamon. It would be great to see a video with all the mods in place doing their stuff.

Cheers
    Leo the ancient

I don’t own a vid camera? I will see if I can borrow one from one of my range buddies? I tried to upload pics the other night but couldn’t get the thread to go? After three attempts I said some bad words and moved on! 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.