Advanced Search

Wifi Microscope ($99 Amazon) my quick review

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Wifi Microscope ($99 Amazon) my quick review

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Tekit 200x 2mp Zoom Wifi Wireless 8 LED USB Handheld Digital Microscope Camera for Apple IOS /Android Smart Phone/ Tablet PC  Amazon’s description:This high quality Tekit wireless digital microscope (Wi-Fi) can magnify objects from 5X to 200X and transfer images & video taking by the microscope to 3G Smart phones tablet PC based on Android IOS through WIFI. Works with IOS (iPhone, iPad), Android smart phone and Tablet PC,the wireless microscope is perfect for medical; visual assistance, textile industrial for textile inspection, printing inspection, industrial inspection (PCB, precision machinery), education purpose, skin and hair examination, microbiological observation, jewelry and coin (collections) inspection, etc. Specification: Supplementary Light Source: Built-in 8 LED lights WIFI Standard: IEEE 802.11b/g/n standards compliant Still Image Capture Resolution: 640*480,can be magnified & minified Frame Rate: VGA 5 f/s under 600 LUX brightness Magnification Rage:5X – 200X Take Images: Snap shot in application/camera Button Brightness Control: Manual adjustment Power Supply: Rechargeble 750mAH self-protection lithium battery Charging Time: 3h Continual Working time: 1h (once fully charged) Language: English/Chinese Application Software: IOS/Android App Product Dimension: 135*36 mm Net weight: 86 Coler: White Package Includes: 1X Tekit WIFI Microscope 1X Mciro USB Cable 1X User’s Manual 1X CD

My quick review as I just received it today 3/9/18. Ordered 3/3 and it said delivery between 3/23 and 4/13 but it came in a week from Hong Kong yet.  I guess it all depends on how long a container sits in customs.  First I can’t compare it clarity wise to a USB microscope since I’ve never used a USB one.

One negative review on Amzon said they had issues trying to get it to connect to wifi. I didn’t.  I’m using my iphone for it.  It comes with a short instruction booklet which was the key to getting it connected, because for some reason I was trying to find it under bluetooth and its not, it’s found under your wifi list of networks after you switch the on off switch to on and the microscope’s  green wifi light turns on.  Then you choose ZOOMMX474 that appears in your wfi list.

2nd step is to install a free app in the store called ZoomX.  You can also open and point your camera lens at the scan bar on the back of the instructions and it takes you right to the app in the app store (cool)

Open the app and the camera comes on.  I re-profiled a long thin Wustof kitchen knife and took a pic of each edge after each stone from 50 right up to stropping.  To save bandwidth on the forum I’ll only post 10 or so pics. Of 3 of the edges: one after the 50 stone, another in the middle and another after stropping.  I can post others if requested.

The app saves all the pics to one folder and I could click on a pic and view it full size.  I’ll have to scope a few on my next knife on my large iPad.  I took a screen shot of all the pics in the main folder.
    Has 8 LED’s and the on of switch also controls the brightness which is a nice feature because after the 1500 stone the edge started to get mirrory and I had to keep turning the brightness down due to the reflections of the LED lights off the edge.  It also has a camera button and a revolving magnification collar from 5x to 200x.  Another nice feature is the clear plastic collar in front of the lights which you can slide the scope along the blade and it can’t touch the LED’s which are set back 3/4 of an inch.  It takes video too.
    Built in rechargeable battery working time 1 hour and 3 hr recharge time. Comes with a small USB/micro USB cable for recharging.

Works as described.  I’ll do a few more knives with it.  I can always return it if users here of USB microscope tell me this unit does not have the clarity that their does but so far to my untrained eye the picks look great to me.

The floor is now open to any questions.  If you don’t want to post a question here my email is expidia@yahoo.com and I’ll answer them.  Let me know if there are any other pics you want me to take for comparison.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this scope company or Amazon.  But I do own Amazon stock, so keep buying stuff there 😜💰😃 Anyway Clay has most of my money now!

Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

more pics

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Looks good expidia.  I guess it does makes sense that you located the USB Scope in the “Wifi” list since it is described as a Wifi Scope not a “Bluetooth” scope.  It looks like a nice, good quality product, with all the features you need for what you’re using it.  The only short coming I hear is the relatively short battery life.  Was the 1 hr battery life with the scope left on the entire time you were using it?  Maybe if turned off then on each time you use it the battery run time may be extended.  It may also improve with subsequent chargings.  For me, I rarely can complete sharpening a knife for the first time in just an hour.

Did you view and photograph the knife while clamped or after it was removed?  I see all three photos have an angled blade down orientation.  I’m trying to understand the knife position.  When I photograph a clamped knife my photos are oriented just like the knife is clamped, blade up, handle to me.  For me that makes it easier to pin point the visualized/photographed areas needing my attention.  I sometimes mark the point I just inspected and photographed with a sharpie mark on the knife side, so I can go back there to improve that portion.

Now that you have the camera you can use it as a tool to hone your skills, (pun intended).

Thanks for the review and sharing your first experience.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Looks good expidia. I guess it does makes sense that you located the USB Scope in the “Wifi” list since it is described as a Wifi Scope not a “Bluetooth” scope. It looks like a nice, good quality product, with all the features you need for what you’re using it. The only short coming I hear is the relatively short battery life. Was the 1 hr battery life with the scope left on the entire time you were using it? Maybe if turned off then on each time you use it the battery run time may be extended. It may also improve with subsequent chargings. For me, I rarely can complete sharpening a knife for the first time in just an hour. Did you view and photograph the knife while clamped or after it was removed? I see all three photos have an angled blade down orientation. I’m trying to understand the knife position. When I photograph a clamped knife my photos are oriented just like the knife is clamped, blade up, handle to me. For me that makes it easier to pin point the visualized/photographed areas needing my attention. I sometimes mark the point I just inspected and photographed with a sharpie mark on the knife side, so I can go back there to improve that portion. Now that you have the camera you can use it as a tool to hone your skills, (pun intended). Thanks for the review and sharing your first experience.

Battery life was going to be a concern for me but I did not even know it was a built in rechargeable battery until I was all done with the knife and was checking to see how I replace the batteries!  I purposely was turning it off before I switched each stone grit after I took the pic.  Not for the battery life but to see how fast I’d be able to get it to connect back onto wifi.  All you do is turn unit back on and the wifi light lights.  Pop back into your list of wifi networks and ZOOMMX474 re-appeared each and everytime.  Then re-open the app and the camera would already be on.  I did not know how long battery was going to last but I figured the 8 LED’s didnt draw that much power.  Booklet shows 1 hour continual use but by turning it off between shots gives you many hours.  I took 16 different pics with it turning it off each time.  Re-profiled that knife from 50 grit and up probably took me 1.5 hours as I was going real slow.

As to the position of the edge . . . knife was clamped the entire time.  But simply rotating the scope will reverse the edge to edge up orientation.  The edge pics were reversed because it was my first time getting used to handling it, holding it against the side of the knife, adjusting the magnification until crisp and adjusting the brightness 1/2 way through the sharpening process as the edge kept getting shinier.  So the edge is reversed because during this first trial and error the camera button was in an easier position and steadier to press once the pic was at its clearest resolution with the same finger I was moving the magnification up and down with.  I have other edge pics but the forum limits me to a total of 3.96MB for each thread I think.  I could email you pics after each stone progression if you want.

When you unbox it and first take it in hand I said to myself  “I just paid $99 for this?  My electric toothbrush has a more expensive build quality to it”. But once I started using it I immediately found it to be exactly as described in the Amazon description as to what it does.  Before I bought it, and scrolling through Wifi and USB scopes, some are in the $1,000’s! And the cheaper ones in the $100 range had awful reviews like “junk avoid”.   So for $100 this device fits what I was looking for exactly.  I’m into the WE setup for over $1200 already, So I figure if it does exactly what I want it to do . . . whats another few “shekels”?

Amazon has a 30 day return policy.  Hopefully if its going to crap out it does it in within 30 days.  I just asked what the warranty period is on Amazon’s product page.  Can’t find that in the booklet either.  But my Amazon credit card(through Chase bank) gives me another 5% back on any Amazon purchase and also extends the manufacturers warranty.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Expidia.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Expidia.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

FYI.  I’m returning this wifi microscope.  I’d say it would drop the wifi connections 30% of the time and then I’d have to fiddle around with it to get it reconnected.  And the build quality worries me that it probably won’t last and if it breaks since it came from china I’m probably screwed for a repair.

Letting Amazon have the seller send me a postage paid label for credit.  The stand bothered me too as it was metal, but had plastic arms with two tabs at the end of the arms which popped into slots on the side of the scope.  It was a bear to get the scope clicked in and I just know the plastic arms would break at some point.

For $99 plus $9.99 for the stand still a 15 power cheap lighted loupe would give me the same.  It was nice to be able to snap a pic of my progress though.

Update;  they accepted the return back this AM with no issues and sent me a return label.  I’d be tempted to keep it, but I dont feel the battery life per charge is acceptable and for its build quality I’d say it’s worth $39.99 (not $99.99).

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Dale Wachholz
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

Thank you for the current review Expidia.    I have a USB scope on my wish list.  But with summer coming I’ll likely be busy on other projects.

I recently bought the 1500 diamond & glass platen set of paddles.  To my old naked eye, the edges look perfect.  But then I pull out my 40x loupe and see all the scratches.

For me, I am thinking a USB scope that I can plug into my phone would be most convenient.

Thanks again.

Marc H

Hi Dale, I used this Microscope, the first one I bought, with a Samsung Tablet.  To do that required this adapter, USB OTG (on-the-go) or some brand of adapter with this similar concept.   It did work fine.  It allowed me to view my edges with lighted magnification. I did need to download an app to operate the mscope. The problem I ran into was I wanted it to be ready to use the scope at all times I went to grab it, so I tried to leave it plugged in and on.  This was a battery drain issue as the tablet isn’t designed to run itself continuously and also power the microscope and it’s LED Lights.

Next I bought this adapter which was supposed to simultaneously charge my tablet and power my USB Device, the USB Microscope.  I found it wasn’t compatible with my older model tablet, so I couldn’t make use of it.  There is also this adapter which is designed to just power the device, the USB Microscope, and not the tablet.

I just installed this app on my newer version Android tablet just to make sure I wasn’t misleading you and it fired the USB Scope right up!

Hopefully this information might help you to find a combination that fits your needs.  Good shopping.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Dale Wachholz
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

That’s my price range!  I looked at the reviews on Amazon.  Seems good for me.

Some people use this mscope to view cannabis trichomes.  What are those?  heh heh

Marc H

Some people use this mscope to view cannabis trichomes. What are those? heh heh

I’ve never heard of that kind of knife before!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.