Advanced Search

wicked edge to 1000 grit then spyderco ultra fine

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Task Specific Knife Sharpening Ultimate Sharpness wicked edge to 1000 grit then spyderco ultra fine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Long
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 21

Welp was playing around with my wicked edge today.. put my delica 4 FFG on it and sharpened it up to 1000 grit (highest grit i have so far) at 15* on each side.. edge was pretty damn sharp.. but I wanted sharper so I reached for my spyderco 306uf ultra fine ceramic bench stone and did a few strokes on it that stone will give a mirror polish but i could not achieve that after just 1000 grit.. I then stropped it on the knives plus strop block and HOLY MAN.. I think I just found my favorite edc edge it has some tooth left.. will shave a bare spot on my arm no problem and zips through phone book paper like its not even there

Jamey Howard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 63

How did you keep the angle exactly the same between coming off the Wicked Edge and using the Spyderco rods? Are there still plans to launch something that will allow you to mount Sharpmaker rods onto the WE?

I have the standard Sharpmaker kit (no extra rods) and would quite like to try using them if a way of mounting becomes available. Does anyone know what the grits of the regular Spyderco rods are?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Does anyone know what the grits of the regular Spyderco rods are?

From this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/711044-Spyderco-Sharpmaker-ceramic-rod-grits

medium 15μ
    fine 6μ
    ultra fine 3μ

But IMO, the standard WEPS micro ceramics work very similarly. I see no need to mount Spyderco rods onto a WEPS handle.

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Are there still plans to launch something that will allow you to mount Sharpmaker rods onto the WE?

I have the standard Sharpmaker kit (no extra rods) and would quite like to try using them if a way of mounting becomes available.

I’m not sure this was ever planned???

Edit: BTW, here’s a post I made a while back, where Sal talks about the grit of the Spyderco stones…

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=4256&limit=10&limitstart=10&Itemid=63#4286

Jeremy Long
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 21

How did you keep the angle exactly the same between coming off the Wicked Edge and using the Spyderco rods? Are there still plans to launch something that will allow you to mount Sharpmaker rods onto the WE?

I have the standard Sharpmaker kit (no extra rods) and would quite like to try using them if a way of mounting becomes available. Does anyone know what the grits of the regular Spyderco rods are?

Sorry it took so long for me to reply

The spyderco 306uf ultra fine stone is not a rod its a bench stone

It is very easy to tell if you are holding the proper angle with this stone by the way it feels/sounds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.