Advanced Search

Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case – Think Pelican

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case – Think Pelican

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Zach Harrel
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

I vote not wheels, too. But that’s partly because I have my own home-made base which is not too heavy. Additional considerations:

– Will the case be able to store the WEPS with the vise attached to the base?
    – How many additional stones/strops and other stuff (sharpie, loupe, handle, stropping compounds, …) can be stored?

We’ve get it set to hold all the contents of the PP2 assembled, so room for the sharpener on its base with the vise and rise assembled, 100-1000 diamond plates, micro-fine ceramics, 1.0/0.5 strops, angle cube, 4 additional stone/strop sets, marker, loupe, alignment guide, knife brace etc…[/quote]

Sounds to me like it will be worth every penny of whatever price you come up with!

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

I vote no wheels, no telescoping handle. It would be nice to have a case that sharpener and all accessories, stones would fit into for storage and transport. Price? You get what you pay for! With something that is custom made its going to be a little pricey, but worth it for what it will hopefully do.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Yes, under $5.00 and can you make it weightless and unbreakable out of polished unobtanium too?
    😛

I think many of the answers can be found in the case’s final use. Many of us would use it as storage, but some to carry around. In the old days…I had a job for a year as a copier tech, we all had 30lb briefcases full of tools, so that’s not an unheard of goal, though I don’t think they weigh that much, even with granite base. (they might)
    What we always ran into was either the handle broke from the weight, or the base split from setting it down too hard.

So I’d say no wheels, and price…no idea.

For me part of it’s size as well as weight… if it’s not too big, I’d say no wheels. I had a case a few years back you could carry a laptop, small printer, and some books (back when these things were big & heavy)… thing had wheels but it was small enough that rolling it was a bigger PITA then carrying it.

Plus I suspect some will use it more for storage than transportation?

One thing that would be nice… you could pull out your base and set it on top of the case to sharpen?

Oh, and no more than $5.00 😀

Charles Turner
    Participant
    • Replies: 6

I don’t think that the wheels and handle are necessary especially if it adds to the cost. I have been waiting patiently for some time for my Pro Pack II and want something to pack it away in. I have looked for other options but I would rather get something that is suited just for the WEPS. With the money that has been invested so far I really want this thing to be protected, even if I am taking it with me somewhere. Do you have any idea how long until the deal is finalized?

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Replies: 93

I vote no wheels, since it shouldn’t weigh more than ~25 lbs fully accessorize. Otherwise I question why carry the damn thing to a travel site if it’s over that amount in the first place. I’ve traveled with mine on road trips and it works just fine being carried in a canvas tool bag, but my next travel plans call for a trip overseas and that’s where a lockable pelican case would really work for me in that instance.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Great feedback guys, thank you. I should have some samples in tomorrow to check out. If all’s well, we’ll press forward as quickly as we can.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Some pics of the samples that came in today:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

The combined weight of the components and case is just over 30 lbs. The samples they sent came with wheels and telescoping handle which seems great and will work really well for my own use, but I travel a fair amount with my sharpener, so I’m not a great judge of people’s storage/transport needs. We may end up going with two models so that those who travel more frequently and/or professional mobile sharpeners can have a nice option.

The case itself is pretty bombproof – waterproof, shock resistant, has pressure relief valve etc…

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Wow! :woohoo:

That looks great, especially for a sample. The finish of the logo looks amazing.

Don’t know how the balance is. If the base weights one side too much (for the handle to drag down one side in your hand), I would suggest putting the base in the middle and splitting the stones, misc. storage 50/50 on either side.

If you can squeeze in any more stone holes that would be great. I would like more stone holes and less misc. storage. The only item I have that would really fit in is the angle cube (required) and loupe. My other stuff is quite large, full role of painters tape, large bottle alcohol, water squirt bottle, flashlight, roll of paper towels, etc. I realize I could down size some of this, less paper towels, smaller bottles etc. But I think after the WE the stones are 2nd most deserving of a good home.

I would still love a stones only case. Same size as this box, just thinner, just thick enough to lay stones flat plus padding on each side. I would use this kit everyday and get rid of the plano boxes. I won’t pickup or move the WE too often (I leave it out on the table), but I would use a box daily to hold the stones.

Zach Harrel
    Participant
    • Replies: 7

A thing of beauty *drools*

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Replies: 93

Wow, Clay, that’s impressive……30 lbs huh? That’s a lot of stuff, but then again it’s for your business. I’d be curious to see your lighter example for sure….and hopefully with no wheels.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Is that 30 lbs with the heaviest base?

Geocyclist has some good points… it looks like you could have a cutout in front of the syringes (is that the ruler?) that would hold the ruler, then maybe a square above it that would hold the angle cube (w/o the case)? This would create a space on the right for 2 or 3 more slots for stones/strops. (I’m not sure what that slot in the middle far right is for.)

But even as is… looks pretty sweet!

wickededge
    Keymaster

The PP2 comes with the QuartzStone base, so it’s a little bit heavier. In that photo, I have the 50/80, 100/200, 400/600/ 800/1000, 1200/1600, Micro-Fines, 5.0/3.5 and 1.0/0.5 strops, a bunch of pastes, the ruler, the angle cube and a mini-microscope. The ruler is in that little slot in front.

-Clay

James Bare
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

Looks great, makes me wish I had waited a little while longer before I got my own case. I do think the base should be centered to make carrying it easier, balance it out better. Unless the weight of everything else can balance out the weight of the base.

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Nice Start Clay, If the case has wheels, as your sample does, the the base at the bottom would be best. The lower the weight the better on wheels. I agree with others it would be better in the middle if I had to pick it up by the handle. Sound like you covered the full set of slots for stones, would like to see a few more open slots, for expansion. The packing in the case, does not look like a soft foam, is it more the molder hard material and could it be modified by the owner or would we be making a big mess to touch it?

thanks
    James

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.