Advanced Search

Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case – Think Pelican

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Wicked Edge Hard Carrying Case – Think Pelican

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We’re close to finalizing the design of a new, Pelican-style, carrying case for the sharpener. It’s designed to fit the Pro-Pack II with a few extra accessories. The Pro-Pack I and the Basic Kit will also fit. We’re trying to make a decision about whether to go with the option of wheels and a telescopic handle. Between all the components of the Pro-Pack II and the case itself, weight should be around 30 lbs. I’m curious what people think about this option. It will add a decent chunk to the cost to include the wheels and handles. Is this a feature that you guys think you’d want? I’m also trying to gauge interest in such a case overall. How many would want such a case?

-Clay

Daniel Saucier
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 30

I think the case is a great idea. My vote would be for no wheels or telescoping handle. Just a standard carry case handle would be great. What would the price range be for either option?

Thanks,
    Sauce

wickededge
    Keymaster

I think the case is a great idea. My vote would be for no wheels or telescoping handle. Just a standard carry case handle would be great. What would the price range be for either option?

Thanks,
    Sauce

Thanks for the feedback Sauce. I’m not sure yet what we can get done on pricing – they’re not cheap but the quality is awesome. Do you have a sense of what you feel like a reasonable price is? The company we’re working with is trying to make it happen for us and they’re much more reasonable than Pelican, but the cases are still expensive.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

For me part of it’s size as well as weight… if it’s not too big, I’d say no wheels. I had a case a few years back you could carry a laptop, small printer, and some books (back when these things were big & heavy)… thing had wheels but it was small enough that rolling it was a bigger PITA then carrying it.

Plus I suspect some will use it more for storage than transportation?

One thing that would be nice… you could pull out your base and set it on top of the case to sharpen?

Oh, and no more than $5.00 😀

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Looking back at the thread “Case for Wicked Edge” about 7 weeks back page 5 bottom (#8127) user Dicamp posted 3 photos of a Pelican 1600 case. This was the best setup I have seen, it was a big case, but every part had a place. The base and vice Pro 2 placed on top upside down. Every part easy to get to without removing the packing. Plent of room to expand as you add more stones… Very clean…

Clay, I look forward to seeing what version WE might offer.

James

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I’m of the opinion that it would be more “storage” then carry case? I really don’t see myself lugging the whole set up around with me? But I would like a handy place to keep everything in the reloading room.
    Also I can not see myself wanting to pay anymore then $50.00 and that would be tops for me. I’m comfortable around $25-30?

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’m of the opinion that it would be more “storage” then carry case? I really don’t see myself lugging the whole set up around with me? But I would like a handy place to keep everything in the reloading room.
    Also I can not see myself wanting to pay anymore then $50.00 and that would be tops for me. I’m comfortable around $25-30?

Great feedback, thank you. I’m not sure if we can get them down that low. Which model sharpener do you have?

-Clay

Zach Harrel
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

I’ve been doing some research about making myself a pelican case for storage while awaiting my WEPS to arrive. Based on what I’ve found and the size of case required to hold everything, not to mention all of the time and effort trying to get everything just perfect… I’d be willing to pay around $125-$150 for a pre-made case for my WEPS. Gotta protect your investments!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Great feedback, thank you. I’m not sure if we can get them down that low. Which model sharpener do you have?[/quote]

Just got the Pro Pack 1 in yesterday. Did some practice on knife #2 today. I had a lot of fun!! Knife came out pretty well? Not any better then I can do free hand? But I think I’m on to something!!
    I’m not really happy with the tolerances of the arms? I think I’m in need of the washers or the upgrade??

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Clay,

How many sets of stones/strops will it hold? Will the slots for stones be versatile? I.e. hold a thick Chosera as well as a thin strop?

I would go for no wheels. Even if it’s heavy this is something I won’t roll it around. I would understand a traveling knife sharpener would want wheels. For me it is just storage. The other reason I don’t like wheels is I would set it on a table to unpack.

I assume all WE bases are the same size? I have the black paperstone base. One of these days I was planning on getting a piece of granite cut, maybe a little wider and longer in the back. This might affect my decision (to cut a larger base) if the case is sized for the standard base.

I also will carry it handcuffed to my wrist, the telescoping handle doesn’t work as well for this. :woohoo:

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

A second thought. If this fist case only holds the stones that come with PPII then maybe a 2nd case, not as deep, but just as large to hold just stones/strops with a little misc. space for other stuff (paste, tape, etc.)

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I vote no wheels.
    As far as cost, would like to see the minimum margin you can do without killing yourself. Hopefully under $99.99, but then again, it is what it is.
    Don’t want to sacrifice quality, but am hoping since we have “partaken of the kool-aid” that a lesser profit margin works . . . . But also realize that there is ~no market for a case other than us addicts . . . . Sigh.

As far as cost, my feeling is to let Jiminy Cricket be your guide, and it is what it is.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I vote not wheels, too. But that’s partly because I have my own home-made base which is not too heavy. Additional considerations:

– Will the case be able to store the WEPS with the vise attached to the base?
    – How many additional stones/strops and other stuff (sharpie, loupe, handle, stropping compounds, …) can be stored?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Daniel Saucier
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 30

Thanks,
    Sauce

Thanks for the feedback Sauce. I’m not sure yet what we can get done on pricing – they’re not cheap but the quality is awesome. Do you have a sense of what you feel like a reasonable price is? The company we’re working with is trying to make it happen for us and they’re much more reasonable than Pelican, but the cases are still expensive.[/quote]

Price range aroung $100 maybe, probably wouldn’t go much higher. Large enough to hold the base with vise installed and all the extras we use with it(loupe, cube, marker, roll of tape,extra stones etc..) would be nice.

Sauce

wickededge
    Keymaster

I vote not wheels, too. But that’s partly because I have my own home-made base which is not too heavy. Additional considerations:

– Will the case be able to store the WEPS with the vise attached to the base?
    – How many additional stones/strops and other stuff (sharpie, loupe, handle, stropping compounds, …) can be stored?

We’ve get it set to hold all the contents of the PP2 assembled, so room for the sharpener on its base with the vise and rise assembled, 100-1000 diamond plates, micro-fine ceramics, 1.0/0.5 strops, angle cube, 4 additional stone/strop sets, marker, loupe, alignment guide, knife brace etc…

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.