Advanced Search

Wicked Edge GO Update

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Wicked Edge GO Update

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    billabong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 16

Did you not see the link for the article that I wrote on the WE60 above? Post# 58069.

Of course I did, perhaps I didn’t explain what I’m asking well enough?

All I know is the original WEGO, (WE50) was an extruded base. This new WE60 is machined. The WE60 is a single, stand alone model, it is not upgradeable. Another, better optioned model, based around this compact WE60 format is slated for release this fall around Nov.

Having not looked at WE GO’s before and having an interest in the design and manufacturing of what is new from WE. I decided to go back and look at what you got with the GO50, to my surprise I felt the WE50 was a complete package and offered more than the new GO60 in some area’s.

So what was the motivation to change so much?

I can’t see an advantage with the new arm joints, I’m assuming this is a production cost saving? I mean now the arms are exclusive to the GO60 and you can’t use your longer one’s if needed from your WE130 etc. How long before those little white balls get lost in setup in the bush, obviously the tension screw will be upgraded to a Delrin Star Knob, so no screwdriver needed, a late improvement.

You get a bag tailor made to contain the GO50 but nothing with the GO60?

We get a jaw upgrade (fingers) but still the same basic animal, admitting that this (clamping) is still an ongoing problem with non-cam clamps.

I’m not sure what the GO50 retail cost was, but I assume the GO60 is no cheaper @ $275?

So I’m curious, why would I upgrade to a GO60? I can only wonder what the next models to come will be priced at, with a cam-vice upgrade. Considering that to purchase the latest gen vice alone as a part now is $240.

Just my thoughts, if I seem too critical with my questions here let me know and I’ll ask somewhere else. Thanks for your input.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Having not looked at WE GO’s before and having an interest in the design and manufacturing of what is new from WE. I decided to go back and look at what you got with the GO50, to my surprise I felt the WE50 was a complete package and offered more than the new GO60 in some area’s. So what was the motivation to change so much? I can’t see an advantage with the new arm joints, I’m assuming this is a production cost saving? I mean now the arms are exclusive to the GO60 and you can’t use your longer one’s if needed from your WE130 etc. How long before those little white balls get lost in setup in the bush, obviously the tension screw will be upgraded to a Delrin Star Knob, so no screwdriver needed, a late improvement. You get a bag tailor made to contain the GO50 but nothing with the GO60? We get a jaw upgrade (fingers) but still the same basic animal, admitting that this (clamping) is still an ongoing problem with non-cam clamps. I’m not sure what the GO50 retail cost was, but I assume the GO60 is no cheaper @ $275? So I’m curious, why would I upgrade to a GO60? I can only wonder what the next models to come will be priced at, with a cam-vice upgrade. Considering that to purchase the latest gen vice alone as a part now is $240. Just my thoughts, if I seem too critical with my questions here let me know and I’ll ask somewhere else. Thanks for your input.

Lets start off by saying your opinion matter, and you are not being critical, you are asking valid questions.   To me the WE60 is not an upgrade from the 50 it is a direct replacement. Why the changes, for one I think they were having issues with the extruded aluminum staying within there needed tolerance’s.    I would not think anyone with the GO would want or need to buy the W60.    Why it changed so much,  my take is that this is a manufactured produce, and  for some reason(s), manufactures have to keep changing their products..

I kind of liked the old days when we had a key with a real switch, that when turned, stop the car from running.. we don’t have that option anymore, was that an upgrade?  A steel cable attached to a throttle plate with a spring returning it to closed when my foot came off the gas paddle.. now a potentiometer, that tells a computer to move a stepper motor that opens the throttle.. is that an upgrade?    Both ways can be argued..

The ball ends work well, they do allow the stone to come down farther which really matters with the short little vise.  I have not used the WE60 too much as  I am one of those who only sharpens my wife’s kitchen knives and my dozen or so cheapo Zknife’s    so can not say about longevity.  It does not allow you to use the longer rods available  for the other units so that to me is a drawback, I would prefer a 12″ rod as standard on all the systems, but that would reduce upgrade income.

Those white plastic balls that keep the tiny little bearing pieces in the screw if you remove the rod,  mine went right into the trash so my cat would not eat them and end up choking.  Had no idea they would need to be kept.

For the person that need to sharpen an couple kitchen knives every few months and some EDC, I think the WE60  is a good deal.   The standard vise has been an issue forever, but only if you care about the tilt, which does not really effect the knifes ability to cut, which is the goal of a knife sharpener.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735
    Having not looked at WE GO’s before and having an interest in the design and manufacturing of what is new from WE. I decided to go back and look at what you got with the GO50, to my surprise I felt the WE50 was a complete package and offered more than the new GO60 in some area’s. So what was the motivation to change so much? I can’t see an advantage with the new arm joints, I’m assuming this is a production cost saving? I mean now the arms are exclusive to the GO60 and you can’t use your longer one’s if needed from your WE130 etc. How long before those little white balls get lost in setup in the bush, obviously the tension screw will be upgraded to a Delrin Star Knob, so no screwdriver needed, a late improvement. You get a bag tailor made to contain the GO50 but nothing with the GO60? We get a jaw upgrade (fingers) but still the same basic animal, admitting that this (clamping) is still an ongoing problem with non-cam clamps. I’m not sure what the GO50 retail cost was, but I assume the GO60 is no cheaper @ $275? So I’m curious, why would I upgrade to a GO60? I can only wonder what the next models to come will be priced at, with a cam-vice upgrade. Considering that to purchase the latest gen vice alone as a part now is $240. Just my thoughts, if I seem too critical with my questions here let me know and I’ll ask somewhere else. Thanks for your input.

The little white “keeper” balls need to be saved to reposition them whenever the ball-end guide rods are removed. These “keeper” balls hold the delrin pivot sockets in place so they won’t fall out and get lost.

Angle-slides-with-retainer-balls-in-place
    Ball-end-socket-positioning-hole
    Guide-rod-ball-end-socket-removed
    Reaining-ball-left-rod-bal-right

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant

Marc, I am guessing a tiny dot of grease on the shaft of the “Jesus sockets” before putting them on the housing would help in the not getting lost department.  I can not see the balls being successfully kept with the way the product is packaged, the fact the are tiny balls and no big warning on the package saying  not to toss them out when you assemble the sharpener.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I thought about using a dot of silicone sealer to cement the sockets in place. The dried excessive could easily be trimmed away with a razor knife.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

airscapes
    Participant

I assume that part rotated in the housing if need be, have not taken mine apart to look at it, grease be it petroleum or silicone would cause the socket to “stick” in the housing but still move as it would be lubricated.. Not sure if that part is supposed to rotate but I assume not so sealant would be fine if that is the case.

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Having not looked at WE GO’s before and having an interest in the design and manufacturing of what is new from WE. I decided to go back and look at what you got with the GO50, to my surprise I felt the WE50 was a complete package and offered more than the new GO60 in some area’s. So what was the motivation to change so much? I can’t see an advantage with the new arm joints, I’m assuming this is a production cost saving? I mean now the arms are exclusive to the GO60 and you can’t use your longer one’s if needed from your WE130 etc.

• I’m kinda new to WE and don’t know anything about the WE50. I’m not sure about those changes but I like them. The new guide rod slide tensioning is simpler and easier to use than ball joints. I haven’t had a problem using my WE60. But the guide rods are exclusive to the WE60.

How long before those little white balls get lost in setup in the bush, obviously the tension screw will be upgraded to a Delrin Star Knob, so no screwdriver needed, a late improvement.

• You can put the plastic balls in a baggie to keep from losing them or just remove and keep the Delrin guide rod sockets in a baggie after you are done sharpening to make sure that you don’t lose them. I still have a strong grip and haven’t needed more than finger tightening to keep the guide rods tight. But I do know that the hex end on the new guide rod tension screw and the slide locking screw will benefit many people.

You get a bag tailor made to contain the GO50 but nothing with the GO60?

• I believe that there will be a WE60 bag coming but I might be wrong. There’s also going to be a mounting plate coming soon for the WE60.

We get a jaw upgrade (fingers) but still the same basic animal, admitting that this (clamping) is still an ongoing problem with non-cam clamps.

• I showed the advantage of the new vise jaws in my article. They clamp my FFG leather knife great, and I didn’t even use a paperboard or leather shim. I didn’t notice any tilt in the blade while clamped.

I’m not sure what the GO50 retail cost was, but I assume the GO60 is no cheaper @ $275? So I’m curious, why would I upgrade to a GO60? I can only wonder what the next models to come will be priced at, with a cam-vice upgrade. Considering that to purchase the latest gen vice alone as a part now is $240. Just my thoughts, if I seem too critical with my questions here let me know and I’ll ask somewhere else. Thanks for your input.

• As I understand everything, the WE60 is a entry-level sharpening system for people that want a good sharpening system at a lower price. It is not meant to replace the higher end Wicked Edge systems.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by 000Robert.
    billabong
    Participant

I assume that part rotated in the housing if need be, have not taken mine apart to look at it, grease be it petroleum or silicone would cause the socket to “stick” in the housing but still move as it would be lubricated.. Not sure if that part is supposed to rotate but I assume not so sealant would be fine if that is the case.

It would be interesting to put a white dot of paint or similar on the edge of the “Delrin Pivot Race” (as WE call it) and watch when moving the arms to see if it actually rotates. My guess is that it does assist the process of smooth movement or else it could have been threaded and tightened.

And if it does, will lubricant be advised in the future?

A video here advises about the white ball.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6Ya5hxxSnn0

billabong
    Participant

But I do know that the hex end on the new guide rod tension screw and the slide locking screw will benefit many people.

I’m told here in the comments area of a WE video that a “Star Knob” will be implemented.

Quote: we have already identified a design change that we’ll be implementing which is to change the head to a star knob making it unnecessary to use a tool at all.

000Robert
    Participant

It would be interesting to put a white dot of paint or similar on the edge of the “Delrin Pivot Race” (as WE call it) and watch when moving the arms to see if it actually rotates. My guess is that it does assist the process of smooth movement or else it could have been threaded and tightened. And if it does, will lubricant be advised in the future? A video here advises about the white ball. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6Ya5hxxSnn0

I could not tell if the Delrin retention socket moved while I was sharpening knives. It looked like it stayed put, but I didn’t mark it to see for sure.

000Robert
    Participant

But I do know that the hex end on the new guide rod tension screw and the slide locking screw will benefit many people.

I’m told here in the comments area of a WE video that a “Star Knob” will be implemented. Quote: we have already identified a design change that we’ll be implementing which is to change the head to a star knob making it unnecessary to use a tool at all.

<iframe title=”Video 10: Practice Knife – Wicked Edge GO WE60 Precision Knife Sharpener” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVPmGIA_XSM?feature=oembed&#8221; name=”fitvid0″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” data-mce-fragment=”1″></iframe>

I’m going by what I was told. She can call it what she wants to.

billabong
    Participant

The little white “keeper” balls need to be saved to reposition them whenever the ball-end guide rods are removed. These “keeper” balls hold the delrin pivot sockets in place so they won’t fall out and get lost.

Thanks for the great pic’s Marc, I was hoping to get a look at the parts close up. It’s a shame you can’t just use a longer screw to hold the cup part. I can see it would reduce the ability to achieve a lower angle though.

000Robert
    Participant

I’m told here in the comments area of a WE video that a “Star Knob” will be implemented. Quote: we have already identified a design change that we’ll be implementing which is to change the head to a star knob making it unnecessary to use a tool at all.

<iframe title=”Video 10: Practice Knife – Wicked Edge GO WE60 Precision Knife Sharpener” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVPmGIA_XSM?feature=oembed&#8221; name=”fitvid0″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” data-mce-fragment=”1″></iframe>

I guess changes are still being made. I’m just going by what I was told.

billabong
    Participant

Unfortunately the person who replied to my comment “under” the video is a WE representative, possibly not simply a “she” as you call it, but still unknown.

I get the feeling wherever I read your comments about WE product that you never admit that something can be improved and assume a role more like a salesman, I guess this is how you see the role of a Beta tester receiving free product?

Not to upset you, but it is obvious and thanks anyway.

They also said this It will take some time to get the new screws into production because we have to build a mold and get the parts running.

000Robert
    Participant

Unfortunately the person who replied to my comment “under” the video is a WE representative, possibly not simply a “she” as you call it, but still unknown. I get the feeling wherever I read your comments about WE product that you never admit that something can be improved and assume a role more like a salesman, I guess this is how you see the role of a Beta tester receiving free product? Not to upset you, but it is obvious and thanks anyway. They also said this It will take some time to get the new screws into production because we have to build a mold and get the parts running.

That’s fine – it doesn’t upset me. I do not work for WE, so I’m not privy to the day-to-day operations. The WE60 is a new system, and some things are subject to being changed. I have not seen the comment that you are talking about. I also haven’t seen the videos in weeks and don’t know if they have been edited. I’ll watch them again later today or tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.