Advanced Search

Wicked Edge Boot Mod Dust Covers

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Wicked Edge Boot Mod Dust Covers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

This is by no means my original idea.  Several others here on the forum have mentioned it and shown it in use…I just wanted to document it and add it to the forum for people to be able to find in the future because it really is pretty cool.

Found mine on amazon but also have seen similar on ebay:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVU5T5I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Short but dorky video I made:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

IM curious to the resistance.. I know they will do the job, I use finger cots size small and they work,, there is no extra resistance. ( can’t feel them ) that’s the only reason I did not buy those.

I bought a pack of 24 for 3 dollars. I’ve used one set and  they seems to be sturdy with no sign of wear. Its important for me to ” feel ” the rod and the stroke without any external resistance.

20151227_013600

1 user thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant

It will of course come down to personal preference. I can say these rc car boots are thinner material and quite soft n flexible. More so then they appeared.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

If these wear out I may try a set of them.. these do protect the ball joints and its like not having anything on them. there is no difference in the feel whether they are on or off.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I use these, too. They work quite well.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant

Update:  After cutting a small notch in the side and installing the boots I can report they swing and move free of any resistance.  I sharpened a few knives last night and didnt even notice they were there. 

For the cost of approximately $10 I would say this minor mod is a major upgrade both to form and function of the system.  It certainly beats by a mile the cut off tip of a rubber glove(that also worked just fine).

Shown below is my current complete WE system with most if not all of the mods visible…Double riser block, tormek small knife jig, extended length rods, micro adjust knobs, front rail for extremely low angles, ball joint for support mount(rarely use), and the new excellent ball joint dust covers.
    20160127_175302
    20160127_174130

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Fubar
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

I’m having trouble trying to  find these R/C axle boots.  Do you know what brand they are, or what the stock number is?

CliffCurry
    Participant

Looks like the old link expired.  I went into my purchase history, found it, and searched it again.  He is the exact same one Im using:
    http://www.amazon.in/Mad-Max-Yyb29-Madmax-Rubber/dp/B00MVU5T5I

There are many more, just search rc car shock/axle  boot/cover.  I wished I could have found mine in a matching blue color but black works. 😛

Fubar
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

Thanks Cliff that helps bunches!!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.