Advanced Search

Whole Foods today: Z e r o – :( – :(

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Whole Foods today: Z e r o – :( – :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

One of the workers gave me veg. Shun for repair and sharpening, you will see – looking comments – etc.

Sharpened a Kershaw for receiving guy also.

See you sat. at east beach.

Good luck to everyone. – vid is shade over 7mins.

Attachments:
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

shun ready to deliver on monday… B)

Attachments:
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Tuffy what angle do you like to do the Shuns?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

They are not the prettiest of knives the whole thing looks wrong that thick bolster and the oddly angled handle .

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Tuffy what angle do you like to do the Shuns?

no earthly clue – WE is locked at 24* left side and 23* right side for fare sharpening.

i have not moved it in over 4 weeks.

all angles change by height of blade in vice……….eyeballing the shun it was small, maybe like: 21 or 22*
    take a look. – maybe it will keep the chipping down some like that……..but what do i know…zip.
    comments welcome

Attachments:
    Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

I have several Shun knives including this one. It may look odd to you but belive me it is very comfortble in your hand. I sharpen all Shun Ken Onion knives at 16 deg. per side and they cut like butta (they really get sharp). 🙂

Leo Barr
    Participant

Yes there are those that like the Ken Onion series & those that don’t I have the Santoku (the standard one) and yes 16Ëš per side is correct although the last time I sharpened my I did it around 10Ëš on the right side & around 20Ëš on the left I have thinned mine a little as well although I need to set the thinning bevel a little lower since I rolled the blade when it was new not knowing about the proper use of Japanese blades so I sharpened the roll out . This is why it could do with a bit more thinning it is razor sharp but with the blade a little finer behind the cutting bevel it will slice better.

Leo Barr
    Participant

Looks as if the owner has removed part of the heal of the knife good job where was that nasty chip? You have kept the line of the knife nicely so it is hard to tell where the damaged section was.
    Your right with the higher bevel it will be a little more resilient to abuse so less chipping with a bit of luck.

Jack Montrose
    Participant

That is an interesting edge grind (10/20). I can’t get to 10 on my current set up or, I would try it out. But, I am very satisfied with the 16 deg. Per side. I really have no problem slicing with it and it holds the edge well for me. B)

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Tuffy you do nice work.

Leo Barr
    Participant

I do my Japanese knives & any radical thinning on bench stones so I can attain those low angles.
    Here are two pictures of a Yanagi first shows the thinning bevel and second is from my Veho of the cutting bevel.

Attachments:
    Jack Montrose
    Participant

Nice edge, looks like it would have just enough bite. I’ve been at the hospital for the past 5 days with my wife (surgery doing good). Can’t wait to get her home so I can go back to play time. My weps is soooo calming. 🙂

Leo Barr
    Participant

May it be speedy recovery.
    I must admit I find it hard to not sharpen something at least once a day .
    I have officially become a knife sharpening bore I was about to ask a friend what he thought of his knife I had just sharpened and was about to launch into an enthusiast dialogue of how I could improve the blade further and was shot down and asked to talk about other things . Lucky we can chat amongst ourselves on these forums !

Jack Montrose
    Participant

I totally get it Leo, I can get carried away at times myself. I’m also glad we have this forum, there are alot of knowledgabe people to talk to here. Sorry Tuffy, not trying to hijack your thread, I still like to see the knives you come across and sharpen. Keep up the good work. B)

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Jack I hope your wife feels well soon!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.