Advanced Search

Who stops after the 1000# Diamonds?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Who stops after the 1000# Diamonds?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Who stops after the 1000# diamonds stones? (no other stones, stropping, nada, done)

I did a heavy 1095 field knife and a small D2 fixed blade today only to the 1000# diamonds. They are sharp, but not as smooth or clean cutting (using phone book paper slice test) as my regular EDC pocket knives. By “field” knife I mean for survival, bush crafting, fire making, but not for hunting. A hunting knife I would use finer stones to get sharper.

So who stops at 1000# and why? How sharp can you get stopping at this point?

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

at the fairs, i normally stop at 600 to 800 depending on the knife – higher grades i move thru. the 1,000’s, but i use both sets of ceramic paddles, especially if i stop at 600 on kitchen knives.

it is funny, i am working on a vid right now of a long victorinox knife that i am sending to a fish buddy in S.C. for skinning fish.

i stopped at 1,000 on it and then moved to ceramics and the leather strop on board. – god is it sharp, but like u said, the polish is just so – so, but perfect for fish skinning – my opinion only.

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Looking good plus Victorinox use good steel it is certainly better than Leatherman & Gerber steel.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.