Advanced Search

Who had the lengthy? reply sorta, about which WE

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Who had the lengthy? reply sorta, about which WE

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 9

Greetings my family when I’m not with my 1st family. Can you help me find a reply to a forum question? The response was pretty indepth (informative) and at one point the author wrote something like”if your head didn’t explode yet” or something really similar. The answer was great and he talked about and owned all 3 versions of the WE and the pros and construction of all of them

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Bob there are a few of us forum members, here, with all or multiple model WEPS.  Is there a specific question you have we can try to answer for you?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Bob:  Did you read this post before or after you registered as a member (10 days ago)?  If it was after, we’re only talking about a limited number of posts to search through.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Bob
    Bob
    Participant

tcmeyer, sorry for the delayed response. Can only reply (i guess) from a computer and not my phone. I received an email notifying me that my response to you was not received. Thanks for responding. I found what i was looking for and i made a mistake it was not from this forum, my apologies.

Bob

MarcH

Bob, could you post a link to that thread you liked from the Forum you are refering too.  We’re always open to enlightenment about anything Wicked Edge related.  No matter the source.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Bob
    Participant

Yes gladly. On the road right now,  stand by.

Bob
    Participant

Hopefully this link will work  I can’t open it at work  to try, it’s being blocked,  I think because it has “knife” in the verbiage.  I am curious to your opinions to this thread. I have and continue to read up on as much information I can. Perhaps there are people who don’t realize there opinions  have such an impact on people like me.  The money I’m about to spend on my new system is (for me)  enormous so I really appreciate the opinions of those who have used the equipment  and really rely on those that are there before me. Who would know better?

Planning on getting a Wicked Edge? Before you buy, I thought I’d share my personal experiences with the Gen 1, 2, and 3. from knifeclub

MarcH

Bob, I agree with “I wouldn’t bother with the Gen 1”, (i.e. WE100, Pro-Pack 1 or Field and Sport).  I believe the advantages of the Gen 2 do make it a far better, easier and more versatile version to use, especially for such a small price difference.  The Gen 2 includes: WE120 and the Pro-Pack 2.

Everything the forum poster, jojiichan, said has merit.  I can’t state anything he wrote was totally wrong.  The most important thing he said is “although this is a great product, it still has its limitations“.  I can’t say that I have shared all the same problems and issues he has experienced because I have not sharpened all the same knife brands, models and styles that he has mentioned.  I sharpen, for the most part, fixed blade knives, (e.g., kitchen and chef’s knives) and only a few folders.  For my needs the Gen 3 versions has been the best innovation and my favorite model.  The Gen 3 includes: WE130, Field and Sport Pro, Gen 3 Pro and the Pro-Pack 3.

The newest style self centering, cam action vice, (Gen 3), has really made clamping and sharpening knives, for me, quicker and easier.  I understand what “jojiichan” has written and I do recognize the issues he states.  For me most of his issues haven’t been shared by me.  I have experienced other issues that I have had to adapt to and find work-arounds.  The Wicked Edge is great.  It’s not perfect.  It can’t sharpen every knife there are.  That’s why I have three complete set-ups.  Each one I have customized and modified to meet my specific needs.  Depending on what I need to sharpen I swap the models out for the one that best handles the particular sharpening chore I have at hand.

I didn’t know this when I started.  I like you, I’m guessing, was a knife user and enthusiast, that was looking for a better way to sharpen my knives.  I had been sharpening my own knives with some success for years but yearned for a truly sharp edge.  I had purchased and tried many different sharpeners but still longed for something better.  Then I came across Wicked Edge while reading about knife sharpening on the internet.  I too tried to do the research.  Deciding which one to buy.  It was an easier choice back then since there were only two models.  The Gen 1 and the Gen 2.   I was fortunate enough to be able to afford the best Wicked Edge offered at the time so I went for the Pro-Pack 2, (Version circa 2013)

As I first learned how to use the Wicked Edge, and it was quite a learning curve.  I was a regular question asker and complainer to this Forum.  I read everything I could.  I viewed every You Tube Video I could find.  I kept at it and learned how to use my Wicked Edge.  I learned it is a finely crafted and precision built hand tool.  I still had to know how to operate it.  I began to learn what I could do.  What I could do well and what I found difficulty doing.  I learned that I could adapt and modify my hand tool, the Wicked Edge, to overcome my difficulties.  Some times with the help of others and often through my own creativity, trial and error, intuitiveness, ingenuity,  and failures.  I tried some things and made some modifications to my Wicked Edge Hand tool so it was easier for me to use to sharpen my knives.

Along the way Wicked Edge continued to innovate and update.  I was able to take advantage of these updates and upgrades right along with them.  My Wicked Edge knife sharpening tools got better and easier for me to use.  I took advantage of newer models when they were released.  None yet are perfect, but all are very good.  I made tweaks, adaptations and modifications to each of my Wicked Edge models as I continued to sharpen more knives and gain more experience and knowledge, to make them easier to use for my specific needs.

For you I can share, knowing what I know now, if I was to choose a particular model to get started with I would go for a Gen 3 setup.  Depending on your room to set-up and use a sharpener and needs for compactness and portability, I would consider the WE130, the Field and Sport Pro and best of all the Pro-Pack 3 on a granite base. (I like the sturdiness associated with the weight of this base).  For the greatest variety of knives, shapes, styles, variability, and thicknesses, precision and repeatability, I would, hands-down pick the WE130.  (This would not include the Gen 3 Pro. The Gen 3 Pro does have it’s place in my sharpening arsenal but it is not as versatile for me, IMO and experience, as the WE130).

The ease of blade clamping and versatility of the split jaw vice with tension adjustment makes the Gen 3 a much simpler model to use than the older style Gen 2.  Yes the Gen 2 vice and jaws are narrower and may allow you to clamp thicker and also smaller blade knives.  But there is an inherent clamping lean associated with the screw wedge style vice that does need to be corrected for if you want to have results with even bevel grinds.  It can be more tedious to get a knife positioned just right with the Gen 2 and tightly clamped.  Then each successive touch-up is equally difficult and tedious.  Whereas the self centering Gen 3 vice has overcome these built in obstacles making clamping almost simple the first time and then, each and every time thereafter.

Depending on what you’re going to sharpen and what your sharpening desires and needs are, determines the amount and variety of accessories you’ll be needing.  If you have the budget, go for the gusto with the Pro Pack 3.  It’s been the experience of most of us long-time participants to this forum that once someone gets started and see the results they can attain you’ll want to try for sharper and shinier and that scratchless mirrored finished edge.

This is not a tool for those weak in the wallet.  It’s pricey but well designed and constructed.  The warranty and customer service is unsurpassed, in the industry.  The Wicked Edge is my mainstay.  Like I said I pick and choose which one to use for my specific chore.  Only, once and a while I find I do have to use something else to sharpen that odd blade I can’t handle with a Wicked Edge.  But for me, that few and far between.

Last thing I’ll say is you can be assured that the crew designing and building Wicked Edge are aware of everything we say here.  They do keep their finger on the pulse of the Wicked Edge sharpening community and continue to work and innovate to make the best most WEPS devices they can.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Bob
    Participant

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for sharing and helping me along on this journey! I value your opinion (& really do rely on it) and i’m grateful your willing to share your experienced knowledge. You are the first person to suggest, or “if it were me” to go for the Gen 3 set up. Reading that reinforces my confidence in my direction. Out of all the used WE for sales I’ve seen, everyone (except for one) was selling to upgrade so that tells me something. Once you get past the sticker shock and except the fact that your about to spend this kind of money, the difference in price from one set up to the next – better one, makes for really tough decision making. And I’ve read it time after time the regret in not purchasing the right one, spending le$$ only to come back and buy the “right one” anyway. I did remove the Gen 3 pro from the equation.  I want the the ability to independently adjust the angles on each side. If i sharpen my mother inlaws kitchen knife shes had for years i dont want to reprofile it if it has 2 different angles. i could but all things considered … I want that flexibility. I have read and heard mentioned on one video something about the new clamping system that i dont understand. As a result its adding to my dilemma. I love the design and simplicity. They talk about shimming one side or using foam tape to keep the blade perpendicular in the clamp because the clamp wont always secure the blade true on both sides. Have you experienced anything like that? or do you know what they are referring to? Another question i have but see no reference to. It seems to me the screws in the vice style blade clamp would become worn or lose the tolerances over time with all that tightening and releasing. Have you seen any wear in any of your systems that over time created some play?

Sincerely,

Bob

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The screw based clamps have a stainless steel insert for the threads (the clamp is made of aluminium I believe). These are very durable and it is rare that we see reports of them wearing out. The amount of force required to properly clamp a knife isn’t really that significant. The only goal is to immobilize the knife for the sharpening session, so this shouldn’t be a point of failure. Regardless, I believe that WE will cover the clamp threads under their warranty.

In my experience the gen 3 clamp does a good job of clamping the blade centered and I have not observed a blade needing to be shimmed with foam in order to get it to clamp vertically. Easily clamping the blade vertically was one of the main issues that the generation 3 clamp was specifically designed to address relative to the screw based designs. Are you sure the video you saw was with the generation 3 clamp and not the gen 1 or gen 2 design? Post the link if you can find it.

MarcH

Bob, ditto what Organic said.

Let me say that the Wicked Edge being a hand tool is a very personal thing.  Each of us have different needs and priorities for the different kinds and types of knives we use and collect.  What is an absolute necessity for one person may not even enter into the equation for another.

It wasn’t until after I starting using the Wicked Edge System that I realized my true sharpening potential and ability and what the tool was capable of producing when operated properly.  Then at this point I started to realize and learn what I really wanted in and from my knives.  That, what was important and what didn’t really matter to me.  These things like I said are all very individualized.  You’ll have to decide this for yourself.  You may not be able to until you use the wicked edge and gain enough experience with it to realize it’s potential.

I think that’s why so many people upgrade.  They start out with skepticism and intrigue an some doubt, therefore, with a limiting budget.  Then after using it and seeing the results and recognizing the potential, they realize they want more.  I upgrade for all these reasons plus I wanted a better, easier to operate system.  Each upgrade and new version I’ve stepped up to has been and improvement in the hand tool and made it easier for me to use it, for my needs.  This may not prove the case for everyone.  Some users, like jojiichan found that he did best, for his needs, with the older model.  I have to point out that his post is two years old.  Wicked Edge has made a lot of changes and improvements in my opinion in the past two years.  Jojiichan is not the only one I’ve read that has his opinion.  He is not alone.  That’s why I say this is a very personal thing.

In response to your last post, every knife we clamp and sharpen with a Wicked Edge System undergoes some reprofiling the very first time.  This is because the fixed angle sharpener, the Wicked Edge, produces an knife edge different then other methods produce.  We use the words “profile” and “reprofile” very frequently in the WE Community and often loosely.  Any change made to the shape of the existing knife edge is reprofiling.  Reprofiling is not necessarily a bad thing.

For your mother-in-laws old knives a reprofiling and sharpening will probably make those old knives feel as good as they did when they were new.  Reprofiling can be quite helpful restoring the shape and characteristics of the cutting edge.   Reprofiling can be harmful when it changes the edge from it’s proper, best shape and characteristics and waste good steel.  It helps if you do know what your doing and what you’re intending to do.  For me this took time and experience to understand this.  Now, for my own knives, I’m not so quick to just inadvertently clamp one up and sharpen it just to do it.   I use them a while to figure them out and get a feel for their characteristics.

The Wicked Edge is what you want it to be.  It’s a clamp and go, “WE GO”, simple and fast to use.   There’s also the in-between for those with a little more conscientiousness.  It’s also can be used on a more intellectual basis for those who like to think about what they’re doing and tinker with their toys.  That you’ll have to decide.  That’s why there are so many types of stones and abrasives, grits and strops to tickle your fancy.  And other accessories and toys to play with.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Bob
    Participant

Thanks Organic, I cant find the video that i refereed to. Could’ve swore it was HarleyWood or Simple little life  (youtube) but i think i figured it out what they were referring to and your right it must’ve been Gen 1 or 2. Where the style of the blade was not the same thickness along the spine. it was thicker at the back of the blade and it tapered smaller as you get closer to the tip. Wicked Edge newest design with the slits in the jaws eliminate that issue.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.