Advanced Search

Who can guess what this is?

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Who can guess what this is?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

CBW isn’t allowed to guess since he’s been the main engine behind this project.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

No guesses yet? 🙂

-Clay

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

My guess is that it’s an adaptation of the drill stop collar trick from the EP….???

wickededge
    Keymaster

My guess is that it’s an adaptation of the drill stop collar trick from the EP….???

Yep! 🙂 I’ve never actually seen or used one on the EP, but Curtis was kind enough to firmly shove me along to designing this variation on the idea. The testing I’ve done so far indicates it should be really nice for anyone wanting to use stones of varying thicknesses.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Maybe CBW will get to try it soon??? :dry: :huh:

wickededge
    Keymaster

Maybe CBW will get to try it soon??? :dry: :huh:[/quote]

Maybe… 🙂

-Clay

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Excellent Clay. I’m liking the thought here.

Bring it!

Ken

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Looks good.
    I’ve had a somewhat similar idea for often repeated settings for particular knives.

Looks like the arm holder is a wee bit longer too.

Hey, what’s that other knob near the vise?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Looks good.
    I’ve had a somewhat similar idea for often repeated settings for particular knives.

Looks like the arm holder is a wee bit longer too.

Hey, what’s that other knob near the vise?

The knob sitting just above the degree bar locks the collar’s location on the degree bar. The one at the end of the angled portion allows you to lock down the position of the steel rod for further adjustability.

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I think it is fabulous! I want one bad. I really like the arm linkage in the pic also, very nice!!

Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Clay,

I will bite. For those of us not familiar with the concept of the design enhancement, how about a little more information on what the purpose of the design change is and how it works?

Thanks,

Mark

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I am curious. With the EP, the drill stop is set with a reference stone to the correct angle. The offset for different thickness stones is gauged using the stone thickness. How would that work with the proposed setup?
    It is not quite as easy to use the stones mounted to paddles as a gauge.

The arm linkage and set screws does look mighty nice. Is that a direction that you may be heading for production?

Mark, this should give you an idea about the concept.

Now this is just the concept. The mechanics will be different with the WEPS, though it comes down to using the stone thickness as a gauge to set your angles once a reference is established.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay,

I will bite. For those of us not familiar with the concept of the design enhancement, how about a little more information on what the purpose of the design change is and how it works?

Thanks,

Mark

Great question Mark. It’s not a design change, just a proposed accessory. The idea is to use the little collar attachment (in between the guide rod assembly and the blue base) as a positive stop to be able to use stones of differing thickness and repeatedly hit the exact same angle without having to use an angle cube. The basic procedure is as follows:

1. Slide the stop collar (SWAT Jig as named by Curtis) onto the degree bar in between the blue base and the guide rod assembly.
    2. Set the angle with the thinnest stone you plan on using.
    3. Take the stone off the guide rod and rest the inside of one of the plastic trays against the inside edge of the guide rod assembly (you would use the inside of the Blue Collar if you’re using the Basic Kit or Pro 1 and you would use the inside edge of the upper portion of the L-Bracket if you’re using the Pro 2 set up.)
    4. Slide the stop collar over until the pin makes contact with the face of the stone.
    5. Lock the stop collar in place.

To change stones and keep the same angle, loosen the guide rod assembly, align the inside of the plastic tray to the inside of the guide rod assembly, then slide the stone and guide rod assembly over to the stop collar until the surface of the stone contacts the pin on the stop collar. Lock the guide rod assembly in place. You should now have the exact same angle as you did with the previous stone, regardless of thickness.

Clearly I’ll need to write better instructions along w/ diagrams once we’re ready to release it. Hopefully you get the gist for now.

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

That answers my question… but I will have to setup one time soon and see how the paddle fits in there so the inside is against the L bracket and that the stone thickness can be gauged.

PS.
    Clay, did you get my email with the thread question?

Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Clay,

Thank you for the response, I was about there but your post provided full clarification. Thanks for taking the time to provide more insight to the potential accessory. Since many of us us the diamonds, ceramics and choseras, I believe you will have great interest in this accessory. I can tell you that I would for sure be interested especially if the concept proves out to be as accurate as using the angle cube.

Phil – thanks for the link!

Thanks again,

Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.