Advanced Search

Which USB microscope to buy?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Which USB microscope to buy?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hey guys… I’m to the point I would like to get a sub $100 usb microscope (cheap I kno lol)… which one would you guys recommend? I am pretty sure that Clay uses the Dino-Lite $500 version that has the built in polarization… I know Tom uses the Veho 400 . The thing is, that on Amazon, the cheaper version of the Dino-Lite is around $100 with only 3 reviews (total of 4.5 stars) and the Veho 400 has many more reviews but is only a total of 3.5 stars. Customer service on both of these seem to be an issue… so I guess my question is, should I go with a cheaper $30 knock-off brand if it has around the same rating on the reviews (i.e. 3 stars)?

Also, the Dino is only .3 MP so I’m worried about quality… any of you guys have this one?

Or should I go with this Avan? Seems to have better reviews but is only 200x….

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I can only comment on what I use. I have a Veho 400 and I am generally happy with it. Focusing is an issue, as you can read invarious threads. However, with patience and fiddling I am usually able to make good pictures.

That said, I wouldn’t be worried too much about a .3 MP camera provided it provides sharp images with little fiddling. Better have a sharp image at 640×480 rather than an unsharp image at a much higher resolution.

Also, I think Clay produces pictures at “only” 200x magnification and I find these pictures very helpful.

It also depends what you want to use your microscope for. If you want to use it a lot to view your knifes’ edges during sharpening, rather than make photographs, a strong jewelers loupe might be more useful. In another thread I described my Lightinthebox 60x loupe. Very easy to use and enough magnification for most purposes. I use it a lot now instead of my Veho.

That site, Lightinthebox, offers also carries a large selection of cheap USB telescopes. To make your choice even more difficult 😛 .

Succes, and do share your experiences with us!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I can only comment on what I use. I have a Veho 400 and I am generally happy with it. Focusing is an issue, as you can read invarious threads. However, with patience and fiddling I am usually able to make good pictures.

That said, I wouldn’t be worried too much about a .3 MP camera provided it provides sharp images with little fiddling. Better have a sharp image at 640×480 rather than an unsharp image at a much higher resolution.

Also, I think Clay produces pictures at “only” 200x magnification and I find these pictures very helpful.

It also depends what you want to use your microscope for. If you want to use it a lot to view your knifes’ edges during sharpening, rather than make photographs, a strong jewelers loupe might be more useful. In another thread I described my Lightinthebox 60x loupe. Very easy to use and enough magnification for most purposes. I use it a lot now instead of my Veho.

That site, Lightinthebox, offers also carries a large selection of cheap USB telescopes. To make your choice even more difficult 😛 .

Succes, and do share your experiences with us!

Mark is right, my images are not super high magnification but are still immensely helpful for documenting. I also use a little loupe just like the Lightinthebox, may actually be the same one since they look identical. I use that constantly and the microscope only when blogging or exploring progressions to share.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

Thanks! Yeah, i have the 60x-100x one from radio shack, and it works pretty well for general purposes… but I am mainly wanting something like what you have Clay, that will really let me see the detail at higher polishes. Oh, and the hand held microscope I have from radio shack isn’t good in the sense that I basically have to touch the edge for me to get a clear view of it, which can mess up an edge on a straight razor. Also it doesn’t seem to work so well once you get to the 5micron range (maybe smaller, can’t tell)… maybe because of reflection, i’m not sure. So would you guys recommend the veho? I read something somewhere about that there is a 1st gen and a 2nd gen of the veho, and that the 1st gen is BAD and not to get it. Not sure if that’s tru or not.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I don’t have experience with the Veho. If you’re having issues w/ the finer grits and reflection, something with a polarizing filter can help. I’ve also found that rotating the scope affects how much light is reflected back into the lens.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

just ordered the dino-lite AM3011 (230x) w/ a goose neck stand… can’t wait to get it in! I called Dino’s state-side site (www.bigc.com) and was able to get through to a real person (something I respect greatly) who advised me that all Dino products have a 2 year warranty from date of purchase… I’m pretty happy! Now for the results =)

FYI: if anyone else is looking at getting one, checkout this site… It is recommended off of bigc’s website as being a Dino-Lite seller. I found it after searching around a bit on bigc’s website… they not only offer free shipping but also are offering $25 off any accessory (i.e. i got a $39 stand which ended up costing $14)! Sweet deal… Just wanted to share =)

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

RazonEdgeKnives,

Please let us know if that gooseneck stand works for you. I purchased a similar model, the DinoLite MS33W, that I returned because it wasn’t any better than just hand holding the scope – at 400x. Your scope is a 230x but I didn’t like my gooseneck stand even for 20x photos. Just too much movement.

Joyal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.