Advanced Search

Which Strops to start with?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Which Strops to start with?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Will
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

I’ve finally decided on the WE130, along with the 800/1000 and 1500 diamond stones

So, which strops would be the best fit following either the 1000 or 1500 stones?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Will, I always use the 4µ/2µ set on every knife I sharpen, no matter which grit I end off with.  If I’m looking for a more refined edge I also use the 1µ/0.5µ pair.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Looking to upgrade to the new handles for a strop set for the Gen 3 Pro vice. Listed is planned progression. For the 4,2 micron strops i was thinking on ordering cow leather for the blank handles i already have. For the 1, .5 micron i was thinking cow leather again. Thoughts?

For the .25 micron, .125 micron. Kangaroo leather, or Nano-Cloth? What are your thoughts

For the .050 micron, .025 micron. Kangaroo leather, or Nano-Cloth? What are your thoughts

4 Micron Polycrystalline Diamond Emulsion & 2 Micron Polycrystalline Diamond Emulsion & 4 leather strips for set of new handles i already have.
    1 Micron Polycrystalline Diamond Emulsion & .5 Micron Polycrystalline Diamond Emulsion & leather strops
    0.25 Micron Polycrystalline Diamond Spray & 0.125 Micron Cubic Boron Nitride Spray. Kangaroo or Nanocloth?
    .050 Micron Polycrystalline Diamond Spray & .025 Micron Polycrystalline Diamond Spray. Kangaroo or Nanocloth?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I use the cow leather for the 4µ/2µ and the 1.0µ/0.5µ. (Diamond Emulsions)

I bought the nanocloths for the finer grits; 0.25µ/0.125µ.  I have not yet loaded or tried these strops.

I have never used Kangaroo.  I have heard good things about it from those who have.  Thin and stiff, less angle reduction required.  Just the same experience in reality as what we read is recommended on the forums.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

I use Kangaroo with “Neatsfoot Oil” to soften Leather, no Diamond on the leather right now.

I have tried cow leather on the “Wicked Edge” with good results.

I did try a fine Diamond spray about a year ago, but went back to Leather with out Diamond on it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

I did try a fine Diamond spray about a year ago, but went back to Leather with out Diamond on it.

Why?

Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

Mr.Wizard (Why?)

Leather is something I have used on my straight razor over 50 years. Old Beliefs are hard to change. Especially when I still Use the razor.

So maybe I just have hard time putting Diamonds on leather when I know leather works just fine.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.