Advanced Search

What to do for mirror edge?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started What to do for mirror edge?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    droc217
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

I have up to 1600 grit ceramic stones and I get my knives extremely sharp, but I’d like to up my game a little bit and be able to put mirror finishes on my edges. Any suggestions? Will strops help me achieve my goal?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Strops will definitely help you. I’ve switched to the diamond films, they’re great!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

droc217
    Participant
    • Replies: 4

What grits are you using Mark?

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Like Mark, I too use film with great results.  After the 800/1000 stones, I switch to four film stones I have.  These are blanks with aluminum plates.  One pair is 6/3 micron film; and the other is 1/0.5 micron film.

Alan

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

What grits are you using Mark?

After the diamonds I start with 6 micron. You can also start with 4 micron after the ceramics. Sometimes I end with 0.1 micron, but usually I think this is overkill. One grit less fine also gives great results.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Spanish_Orange
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

What is the difference between glass and aluminum platens? also, does anyone use the 3 micron diamond stone and glass platen?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

What is the difference between glass and aluminum platens? also, does anyone use the 3 micron diamond stone and glass platen?

They both serve the same function. The aluminum platens are less expensive, but also not as smooth and flat as the glass. If it’s within your budget, the glass platens are superior. I don’t use my 3 micron stones much anymore and instead use the lapping films. Although they’re consumable, they’re more consistent and give a better finish.

-Clay

5 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I agree with Clay, but I think if you lap the aluminum platens, you can make them very close to the flatness of glass platens.  I bought a 12-inch square of 3/8″ glass from my local glass shop and used sheets of sandpaper, starting with 320 grit and going up to 2000 grit.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37
     Although they’re consumable, they’re more consistent and give a better finish.
    By Consumable, are these replaced after one use or do they last more?
    Mark76
    Participant

No, it depends a bit on how you use them, but my diamond films last about 7-10 knives.

Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Thanks Mark. What makes you aware their not working anymore? Do you feel it or is it by examining the edge?

Mark76
    Participant

With some experience it’s both. You feel it and also notice they become less effective. Easy enough once you’ve used one.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The diamond films load up fairly rapidly and need to be washed every 3 or 4 knives (I use alcohol).  When you do this, give them a good inspection.  I find that I replace them more often because of cuts and tears than loss of abrasive grit, but you can easily see areas where the grit is lost.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Serge
    Participant
    • Replies: 13

What about sandpaper? As I understand, films are more durable, but a sandpaper is whole lot cheaper. I wonder if it makes more sense to grab 3k/5k/7k grit papers for ~$10 for 2 sheets each and produces 24 strips of abrasives. Even if it lasts only one use, it is still ~9 times cheaper than film strips from Wicked Edge.

1 sheet of film = $30, it contain 10 strips, $3 each, last 5 sharpenings = adds $0.60 per grit.
    1 sheet of sandpaper = $1.88, cut to 24 strips, $0.07 per sharpening, per grit.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I know from youtube videos that others have used sandpaper (followed by stropping with diamond pastes on leather) to obtain mirrored edges, so that should work. My guess is that the diamond films are going to get you the results you want (removal of the scratches from the previous grit) faster than sand paper would because diamond is much more effective at cutting metal than the abrasives used on sandpaper.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.