Advanced Search

What next? Micro fine?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies What next? Micro fine?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mutt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

I have a WE 130 with the 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500/ glass platen, 6 micron film, and leather strops with 4/2 diamond emulsion. I am wanting to add something to the setup and am thinking the micro fine ceramic 1.4/.6 micron stones sound good, or maybe platens and lapping film. Suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Matt

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Matt, what are you looking to accomplish?  Are you looking for a more polished, mirrored bevel, or a sharper knife edge?

For me the micro fine ceramics don’t fit well into your progression as an additional step in your current progression.  To use the micro-fines I’d be adding them in to the progression in a place where I’d leave off something else.

Here’s an old thread that “Organic” and I recently revisited where a similar discussion was considered in detail.   I suggest you read the entire thread and view the pictures to help you make your decision on what to go with next.  The thread is a bit dated and may even confuse the issue.  There is a tendency of many users to think that to get a better result we can keep throwing another stone or grit into the mix making a longer more refined sharpening progression.  I don’t believe this is necessary the case.  What to do next is not an easy question to answer.  It may take trial and error, on your part, to determine what you like best.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think a logical addition to bring increased refinement to your edges would be either the 3 micron and 1.5 micron lapping films with a glass or aluminium handle set or the 1 micron / 0.5 micron strops set.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.