Advanced Search

What has been your experience with the 3 micron diamond stone..Maxamet?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives What has been your experience with the 3 micron diamond stone..Maxamet?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cmyhero
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 26

What has been your experience with the 3 micron Diamond stone and how effective do you think it would be on Maxamet?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

cmyhero,  I do have a WE 3µ diamond stone/glass platen blank combo.  I bought this back some time ago.  This diamond stone did not stand up well and wore out to an almost smooth unusable steel plate pretty quickly.  I believe the WE 1500 grit Diamond Stone/glass platen blank combo is it’s successor.  The 1500 grit Diamond Stone is very good as a final diamond grit in the diamond stone progression.  You could stop there and finish the edge with strops or begin with Lapping Films at this point.

There is a 3µ Diamond Lapping Film that can be used.  This may put a very fine finishing edge on the Manix 2 Maxamet if you don’t need to remove much steel.  The Maxamet from what I’ve learned on this forum and from other reading is a quite hard steel.  I’ve read mixed reviews.  Some find the Maxamet very hard to sharpen where as others have had good success.  I believe it was all left at, it depends on how hard the steel was tempered.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

cmyhero
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 26

Yes I believe the Spyderco version is somewhere near 70 hardness +/- 3

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.