Advanced Search

WEPS Pro Pack II

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements WEPS Pro Pack II

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

Although Clay was kind enough to answer a couple questions I had about the new system in another thread, I don’t want to hi-jack and I don’t really see an official thread on it so i’ll ask here…

I know it’s barely out but just wondering people’s initial thoughts about the price, new accessories, etc.

I’ve been holding off on buying a WE, one because it was back ordered, then I found out about the new arms, then I found out about the new system. To me it seems like it still has a few bugs although I know it’s been out for years. It seems like a great product/design and my hat is off to Clay but i’m reading about the new arms and possibly elongating them, waiting to see if the problems w/the 1200/1600 grit Ceramics are resolved, etc. and it just seems like in a year or so everything might be a bit different or fine tuned.

Even with the addition of his new microscope it seems the techniques will be more advanced in the near future as well.

Also, when will the Pro Pack II be on the site? It seems to be sold only at “Howe’s”, just wondered why.

Please enlighten me, maybe I’m too critical or do not understand the system completely as I do not even own one. It’s just that if I plunk down $675, I want it refined. I don’t want to end up wanting longer arms or needing to do anything to the system like filing screws or anything.

Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

I’m with you on that one.

I am the same myself. Having seen issues with pro pack I, and although people have made modifications that have resolved these issues, I want to be sure that when I’m splashing out $675, that I have the polished design.

I completely agree that the WEPS is a fantastic system, with a few niggles. I like yourself just want to know that these niggles have been sorted out and all the modifications have been done to make the system complete.

I’ll be keeping am eye on this thread

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

These are good points guys. I can’t promise that we won’t make any changes over the next few years, I’m always collecting feedback and trying to improve on an already great system. Please remember that even the Basic Kit is excellent as is and the mods that people are making are to satisfy the inner OCD in some of us. The Pro Pack II is a continuation of that process – finding the things that can make a good system even better and frankly, I hope we never stop that process. Different than the computer industry though, I’m trying to design all future improvements to be backwards compatible so that even someone with a Gen I system can upgrade to the current model without having to invest in an entirely new platform. Additionally, we support the product 100%.

We’ll be adding the Pro-Pack II to our site this week once the last parts come in from the factory in VT.

As far as the 1200/1600 ceramics go, there was one batch that had more of a kiln layer on it so they were more powdery until they were fully broken in. We have worked with the manufacturer to add in a process call “shot siding” that vibrates the stones to remove the kiln layer before shipping so that it doesn’t cause any more worry. Even with the addition of the Micro-Fine ceramics, I still very much like the 1200/1600 stones. I had thought for some time about discontinuing them, but have decided against it; they just perform too well. They are very different than ceramics that most people are used to and that causes some concern for people until they get used to them. Once used to them however, people really love them. I hope this answers some of the questions.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The “Pro Pack II” is a new model… not a replacement for the original. I think it’s a misconception to interpret this as the original having “bugs” or “issues” (or “niggles”). 🙂 Forums tend to draw “enthusiasts” that push things to the limits and also draws those with particular issues or needs. When the Pro Pack II comes out, there will be changes to it… heck there already is…. just see the thread “New Arms Shroud”. It’s my understanding the new model will be sold in addition to, not as a replacement of the original. It’s not a redesign to “get the bugs out”, it’s a new design or higher end model.

It’s like buying a computer or a car… at some point the need outweighs the desire to wait for the next “latest and greatest”, and the amount you can afford decides what model you get. 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I just wanted to relate my experience. I got a WEPS something over a year and a half ago. I was pretty impressed with the edges that I was getting, but I wanted soem more refinement. I bought some very fine grit sand paper and some lapping film by 3M (because the finer stones were all on backorder at the time). I sharpened up a bunch of knives using the stock stones, the original arms and by using tape to hold my sandpaper on the 600 grit stones.

I did some knives for a few friends. They were amazed at the edges I put on the kinves and how mirror like they were. The other day I dug out a knife I did back then and myself was amazed at how sharp and how pretty it still is.

Of course, over time I got better with the tool because I learned to use it well, but I did not find anything that was basically “wrong” with it.

As improvements became available (I never should have started reading this forum) in both abrasives and mechanics, I have incorporated them into my use of the WEPS. Some of the abrasives make it easier and faster to get a crazy sharp highly reflective edge. The new arms are impressive in their engineering and construction. Are my edges “better” ?? I am sure that at the microscopic level they could be, marginally. Does the machine work better ? Perhaps incrementally, in that I don’t have to concentrate as much or fiddle with getting angles set to 0.01 degree accuracy (it takes a bit less time with the new arms). Yes I can get about 2 degrees less angle with the riser (but out of hundreds fo knives that I have sharpened on the WEPS, only maybe two would I have used this for).

Bottom line, you don’t need to spend $675 to get a kit that will give you very sharp knives and serve you well for years. If you are OCD (like me) the WEPS can grow with you as you feel the need. As Clay mentioned, everythingghe has done to improve the system has been compatible with the original machine. I still have my original base and angle rod!!

I have a friend that has been saying that he would wait for the next best processor from Intel for 5 years. He has a PC that is barely serviceable now 🙂
    You can wait for the ultimate/perfect WEPS, never get to it (because Clay keep improving the system) and miss out on lots of darn near perfect edges… but it will be your loss.

Phil

Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Personally I feel you have all made very valid points.

Satisfies me certainly. Perhaps I’ve been too hard on the system. People will always find fault in things.

Just need to drum up the cash now. I also agree that finding this forum could prove to be expensive 😉

Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

I don’t see any “problems” w/the system, the major work seems like it’s been done, like I said, it just seems like it will be more refined in the future. I think the issue is the price. Not saying it’s not worth it in any way, it’s just $675 is a pretty penny for most and I think most people would agree it would suck to need another piece two months later (other than stones).

The analogy comparing computer parts is good and you’re right. Even at it’s present point it will do waaaaay more than I will prob need as a beginner. The funny part is (as i’ve learned on this forum) nearly everyone on here is OCD (great to find “family”) and I think it’s just THAT disease that’s boggling my brain as I need everything perfect before I pull the trigger, LOL… SOUND FAMILIAR ANYONE? 🙂

The fact that Clay or any owner of any company is reachable and supporting a product in a time of 0% customer service gets my money, I’m truly blown away at his dedication and everyone on here. I simply can’t wait to start sharpening so I’m now convinced I just need to dive in and order as soon as it’s on the site.

When will the “new and improved” 1200/1600’s be avail?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks for the great feedback JDS and of course there is some irony here – just this morning I discovered a slight change in the joints that lowers the maximum angle achievable. That plus the angle change due to the addition of the riser now has me hustling to finish the drawings for the new base rods that are calibrated to the Pro-Pack II. The calibration isn’t a major issue since the system ships with a digital inclinometer, but it still isn’t as good as it should be. I’ll have the new base rods out fairly soon and will ship those out to any that currently have the Pro-Pack II or the upgrade. Many thanks to the forum members that spotted the issue!

We should have the 1200/1600 ceramics in stock in about 6 weeks.

I don’t see any “problems” w/the system, the major work seems like it’s been done, like I said, it just seems like it will be more refined in the future. I think the issue is the price. Not saying it’s not worth it in any way, it’s just $675 is a pretty penny for most and I think most people would agree it would suck to need another piece two months later (other than stones).

The analogy comparing computer parts is good and you’re right. Even at it’s present point it will do waaaaay more than I will prob need as a beginner. The funny part is (as i’ve learned on this forum) nearly everyone on here is OCD (great to find “family”) and I think it’s just THAT disease that’s boggling my brain as I need everything perfect before I pull the trigger, LOL… SOUND FAMILIAR ANYONE? 🙂

The fact that Clay or any owner of any company is reachable and supporting a product in a time of 0% customer service gets my money, I’m truly blown away at his dedication and everyone on here. I simply can’t wait to start sharpening so I’m now convinced I just need to dive in and order as soon as it’s on the site.

When will the “new and improved” 1200/1600’s be avail?

-Clay

Charles Rich
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 16

I agree JDS; I have been following the forum for a few weeks and watching the Youtube channels like jdavis882, M0DiFiEDZ,and smokeeater908 eagerly waiting for the “right moment” to buy. I decided it was more important to get hands on with the WE rather than to keep waiting. The lurking is over, and the order is in. Less typing, more sharpening, know what I mean?

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

I’ll chime in here as someone who has purchased a Pro Pack 2 mostly on spec. I have never owned a sharpening system and certainly not one as expensive as this one. In addition to the pro pack 2 which as everyone knows is $700 (with shipping) I have added more stones and strops and pastes and it appears that this is only the beginning. I can see some of the specialty stones may be in my future. I hope I don’t have to lay any more out for newer improved arms or something like that.

What I wanted to say is that after looking at all the other options available including grinders with various sharpening attachments which still would have been cheaper than WEPS, I decided based on user recommendations and the responsiveness of Clay and others at WE to buy admission in this club.

I call it a club because it seems to be almost a cult of fan boys, much like the Mac computer cult. I am one of those and can not even imagine owning anything other than a Mac or one of the Mac spinoffs, (iPad, iPhone etc.)

These sharpening systems are so expensive that once you decide to buy into it, you are somewhat committed. As long as Clay et.al. appreciate and respect his customer base, the club will grow and will go through out the land telling others of how great their system is which will bring more loyal fan boys.

There is one little thing I would like to request. in what is a very expensive system, it should include all the basic components and not require any user to have to McGyver his system. I am referring to the little piece of rubber or chamois you need to put between the knife and the clamp. Every system needs to include this piece and I can not think of any argument that makes sense against it. Just a little detail that bugged me. Not a deal breaker but it should be included. Just saying!

Michael Lingard
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 33

I’m a bit disappointed that I have to fork over more money to achieve exact angles on each side. I discovered this after re-profiling a fairly thick blade. Because the one side of the clamp is fixed and the other one floats, your angles will never be symmetrical side to side.

The solution is to use an angle cube to set the angles and not use the preset angle markings on the bars. Rather than buy the new arms that are adjustable, I’m going to try turning the brackets around and not using the pre-drilled divots. As long as those angle cubes are accurate to .1 of a degree and the arms don’t move it should work.

Maybe I will buy the new arms eventually once it looks like all the bugs have been worked out of the changes.

If you are buying the system for the first time, I would definitely recommend getting the angle cube and adjustable arms though.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I’m not sure if this is the place to ask, but how do you order the Pro-Pack 2? It’s not on the website, although there’s lots of referrals to it here in the forums.
    Should I just call and do a phone order?
    Any ideas how back ordered these are?
    Can you tell I’m new here?
    🙂

Thanks again for any advice.

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

Hey Fred,
    Like you, I am new here also and I did order a Pro Pack 2 by phone directly from WE. I ordered it last week and they said that they were back ordered, but were receiving a shipment of the new arms this week so that they could start to fill the back orders that were waiting before me. I was told that my system would ship next week and I think that they have more kits than orders at this time. However, they are still just selling from word of mouth from the different knife forums, which seems pretty effective. I am guessing that once it goes onto the website it will start to sell a bit faster. Also, I am not sure if there was a quality control issue with the parts they received or if they are good to go and being shipped. I have not had any updates since ordering as to the status of my order. I am very anxious to get it and get using it.

I will say that this forum is an outstanding place to learn and get advice on the new system and sharpening in general. I have asked many questions and in retrospect some pretty dumb ones, knowing what I know now, but to the credit of this forum community, I have never been flamed or made fun of for my posts. Nothing but great friendly, helpful responses from very informed and apparently skilled knife owners.

In fact, Clay Allison, the originator of the WEPS monitors these new posts and frequently responds. He is a great guy, who takes a personal interest in keeping his customers satisfied with a superior, high quality, evolving product.

So good to have another new guy hanging out here. Welcome.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

I see Howes Knife Shop are advertising, but don’t have stock.
    They also need to update the pictures, as they show prototype arms.

http://www.howesknifeshop.com/wicked-edge-precision-knife-sharpeners/wicked-edge-pro-pack-ii/

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Thanks Scott!
    I’ve spent hours pouring over YouTube, these fourms, and a few other resources.
    I think the post that compared this to waiting for the perfect PC annoyed me (because it was so spot on) enough that I decided to just order one. I was totally waffling over which version to get.
    Anyhow…I’ll call tomorrow and get in the queue.

I think the thing that really seperated this system from the numerous others online is Clay himself. He’s a great salesman, stands behind it with a passion, and has an extremely stand out product.

So now what do I do with my old Lansky kit? *evil laugh* I swear going from hand honing to the Landsky was the differece between making bronze weapons, and jumping to tool steel. this looks to be a jump from tool steel to…lightsaber?

Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.