Advanced Search

WEP 2 And sandpaper

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies WEP 2 And sandpaper

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Marc Simon
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 15

Hello,
    I have the wicked edge ProPac two and I also have 1200 grit 1500 grit and 2000 grit sandpaper what order do I use the stones?

100, 200, 400, 600, 800,1000
    then 1200 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit sandpaper.

Then the Ceramic Stones:
    1.4 Micron (After I used this it seemed like it scratched up the edge more.)
    0.6 Micron

Then the Strops :
    1.0 Micron Diamond on Leather
    0.5 Micron Diamond on Leather

somebody give me a heads up Of the order please.
    Thank you,
    Marc

Alfredo Luna
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Hello Marc,

What works best for me is to use the sandpaper after the 1000 diamond stone and strops after the sandpaper.

I either use the sandpaper or the ceramics but I never use them combined.

Like I said at the beginning, that’s what I feel works for me, try experimenting yourself and find what you feel works best for you.
    That is the beauty and the joy of sharpening.

Have fun with your WE. :cheer:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

try experimenting yourself and find what you feel works best for you.
    That is the beauty and the joy of sharpening.

Well put!

Sandpaper can quickly wear and change the type of finish it leaves, so it’s tough to say, “it fits here”, especially when switching to a different type of stone before and/or after..

As you found, it may leave a finer finish than the ceramic… so going by the results you’re finding should serve you well.

Marc Simon
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 15

Thanks guys…

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

P1200 grit sandpaper = 15 micron abrasive
    P1500 = 13 microns
    P2000 = 10 microns

WEPS 1000 diamonds = (about) 7 microns.

We talk about grits not be equivalent even at the same grit size, but you have to also know the different rating systems to even get close to having an idea where to start comparing them.

According to the numbers, you should use the sandpapers after the 600 grit diamonds, but it may be a waste of time.
    As everyone has said though, the best way to make the final decision is to look at the results.

OTH, Because sandpaper is a pain to use and if you want consistent results you need to use a fresh piece for each blade, I would skip it completely. I know this because I used to use sandpaper. As soon as I could get a decent range of stones, I stopped using it and have been much happier with my sharpening process since.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I’m loving sandpaper on glass paddles. I actually use it after diamond, and the coarse ceramic, right before stropping. Also, a couple different grits will be an eyeopener for you.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Fred,
    When I got my WEPS there was nothing but the basic system. 100 through 600 diamonds.
    I saw this 45 minute video about making a “mirror” edge hair whittling edge with various grits of sandpaper. I went out and found papers from 1200 too 3500 grit… and then found 12 micron to 0.5 micron 3M lapping films. I got them ALL. That is all that I used for several months. I was real impressed with my results, no doubt.

I could not buy the 800/1000 grit diamonds, nor could I get any of the ceramics. When I finally got those, I gave up on the papers.

Too much effort and too little gain versus the stones.
    Later I got the Chosera stone set. It took me a year to get the set…

All I can tell you is that I can’t even imagine going back to the papers.

If it works for you, I will be the last one to criticize that. Honestly. Do what works.

“Try a couple different grits will be an eyeopener for you. “

OTH, having been there and done that, my eyes are fully opened. I tried every damn grit that I could get! Perhaps every paper grit available in the no-huge-order-industry-specific world… I tried!
    I never want to go back!!

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Fred,
    When I got my WEPS there was nothing but the basic system. 100 through 600 diamonds.
    I saw this 45 minute video about making a “mirror” edge hair whittling edge with various grits of sandpaper. I went out and found papers from 1200 too 3500 grit… and then found 12 micron to 0.5 micron 3M lapping films. I got them ALL. That is all that I used for several months. I was real impressed with my results, no doubt.

I could not buy the 800/1000 grit diamonds, nor could I get any of the ceramics. When I finally got those, I gave up on the papers.

Too much effort and too little gain versus the stones.
    Later I got the Chosera stone set. It took me a year to get the set…

All I can tell you is that I can’t even imagine going back to the papers.

If it works for you, I will be the last one to criticize that. Honestly. Do what works.

“Try a couple different grits will be an eyeopener for you. “

OTH, having been there and done that, my eyes are fully opened. I tried every damn grit that I could get! Perhaps every paper grit available in the no-huge-order-industry-specific world… I tried!
    I never want to go back!![/quote].
    very good post phil
    i have not yet gotten any water stones, but did try paper and i had many 2000/3000 polishing tapes left over from EP and i used them, before ceramics….1200/1600 -i had coarse/fine ceramics……the hell with the paper – it is a pain in the rear end.
    soon i hope to get the 800/1000 stones and maybe later on upgrade to some higher grits. with my EP i had up to 15,000 i got from Ken S……man they really worked nice.
    “i never want to go back either”

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Tuffy,
    Question to make sure I understand the king of Farmers markets? :cheer: When you sharpen currently? Are you going to 600 diamonds and stopping or do you then change “gears” and finish with the 1200/1600 ceramics? I did notice in a prior vid that you have your “Fav” bunch strop for the end. Which I would think saves a bunch of time not having to reset up for the WE leather strop? :unsure: 😉
    Thanks for all your help!
    Eamon

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

For me the cost is the big factor, I’d gladly acquire every set of stones, ceramics and several strop sets on down to using CBN sprays… but enough sandpaper to last me 6 months costs ten bucks and I’ve gotten pretty quick at cutting strips neatly measured to paddle size. I have absolutely no doubt the stones are vastly superior, but I make do with what my gunsmith’s budget allows 🙂

That said, I’ve done some very nice polishes using paper: 1000->1200->1500->2000->2500->3000, then strops. I still regard sandpaper as a fill-in until I can get more stuff for the WEPS, but it’s a pretty nice fill-in all things considered once you trim the fat in the process of actually cutting out strips. I also don’t replace the strips for every knife, which I’m sure goes against the grain where consistency is concerned, but it works just fine for me! For now anyway 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.