Advanced Search

WE mod that save some sharpening time

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance WE mod that save some sharpening time

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robert Borowski
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 23

Hey members,
    Here is a mod I did of my wicked edge that saves me a little time. It makes it easier to put stones down for edge checks, change stones, and just makes sharpening easier and less of a hassle. Check it out!

Not perfect but it was “tangent projec”t that a did in a few hours with limited tools (not at my place) and didn’t care if it was dead even. Although now that I notice it I may have to make a version 2.0. haha
    This helps with change between stones. I don’t even have to touch the rods!
    There is also decrease grit contamination bc I know the stones are always touch a clean surface. They stones actually hardly touch anything if they do at all!
    Note the dedicated resting spots for just the rod and the rod with stones.

Anyway just thought I would throw it out there to inpsire people to post their Mods that help them save time or just makes the WE better

Im just sayin..

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Man, this is incredible. This community hosts the most creative people I’ve ever encountered! Quite often I don’t see the use of a particular mod, but this time it seems quite useful. Might try it myself.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Very nice work. I have seen some versions of this, mostly cardboard or wood taped on. What material is it made from? How did you mount it? Your’s is the first I have seen with grooves cut for rods and stones. And it’s finished nicely.

Geocyclist
    Participant

Oh, and the color is almost “Wicked Edge Blue”. If I can coin that term. :woohoo:

While the WE logo is black and orange I think heart of the WE is blue in the base.

Robert Borowski
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 23

Thanks mark76 that’s very nice of you!

Geo,
    It made of wooden trim base board or molding actually. Haha taper side up. Yes the groove are pretty helpful I think and was all done with a dremel drill. It started out at small groove then lead to this after a little slip of the hand and some crafty thinking. I mounted it with straight 2 hole brackets on the sides, I did make pilot holes to make sure nothing splintered and I knew the base would be tough to drill into without pilot holes.

I know, I was surprised how close the blue matched it was my intention but it turned out better than I thought. Its krylon brand spray paint, statin finish, color was Oxford blue! Yep spray paint, it was the best match I would find so it’s what I decided to use.

And I agree the blue is the hallmark color and is why I wanted to match it!

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 51

Great job, I really like the idea of the slots for the poles with and without stones. My only question is how do you like having the board on the front of the wicked edge verse the back? do you find yourself resting your arms against it when sharpening?

I’m taking my wood board off right now and creating grooves also 😉

Geocyclist
    Participant

For me I rest stones on the back and front, normally back side though. B)

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I mounted it with straight 2 hole brackets on the sides, I did make pilot holes to make sure nothing splintered and I knew the base would be tough to drill into without pilot holes.

Looks great, like the color too, and grooves were a great idea! Was wondering if you could snap a pic of how you mounted it… like to see how that came out.

Thanks for sharing this.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Modifiedz did something like this with cardboard, what are yours made of? They look like ceramic, but I’m guessing aluminum.
    So what are they?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Modifiedz did something like this with cardboard, what are yours made of? They look like ceramic, but I’m guessing aluminum.
    So what are they?

It made of wooden trim base board or molding actually.

(Or are you talking about something else?)

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Sorry, I missed that part.
    Wood…much easier.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.